8 cams 16ch POE Costco Sale

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
where was this deal 3 years ago? now, it's just outdated.

GBot

n3wb
Reaction score
where was this deal 3 years ago? now, it's just outdated.
Please elaborate. Not trying to be a wise guy, I'd just like to know your thoughts. I just pieced out a 16 channel Hikvision NVR with four 3MP turrets and two 4MP turrets and it was the same price. So I'd still have to buy a HDD and some bulk Ethernet cable to wire the whole thing.

I'd like to have Hikvision branded products which I can update the firmware of myself, but I also like having Costco's return policy if needed.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Those 3Mp cams been around for 2+ years... Personally I prefer latest and greatest.

GBot

n3wb
Reaction score
Those 3Mp cams been around for 2+ years... Personally I prefer latest and greatest.
OK thanks for the reply. As long as there's not some fatal flaw with them I may have to get them. Student loans plus owning my first house and all... Maybe I'll get a system with more bells and whistles for my next house. Thanks again.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
OK thanks for the reply. As long as there's not some fatal flaw with them I may have to get them. Student loans plus owning my first house and all... Maybe I'll get a system with more bells and whistles for my next house. Thanks again.
The only thing is that night time quality is slightly worse then the latest crop, otherwise they are fine

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Be careful when you are researching these 16 channel systems as some only have POE on only 8 of the ports like this Swan on sale at Costco. We got the Q-See system on sale a few months ago and the NVR has all 16 ports with POE.

a10hog

n3wb
Reaction score
I initially bought this laview set LaView LV-KN996P168A4-T3 Premium IP 16 Channel Security System with 8 IP 1080P Security Cameras, 3 TB HDD (White) and found out that it was actually only 2MP. The quality is actually not bad at all. however, I returned and bought this costco set (it will arrive tomorrow). This costco set is 3MP and hopefully have better night time video.

Just wondering, is my assumption correct that this 3MP should be better than the 2MP since both are from hikvision? Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I initially bought this laview set LaView LV-KN996P168A4-T3 Premium IP 16 Channel Security System with 8 IP 1080P Security Cameras, 3 TB HDD (White) and found out that it was actually only 2MP. The quality is actually not bad at all. however, I returned and bought this costco set (it will arrive tomorrow). This costco set is 3MP and hopefully have better night time video.

Just wondering, is my assumption correct that this 3MP should be better than the 2MP since both are from hikvision? Thanks.
Unfortunately the 3mp will have worse nightvision than the 2mp

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately the 3mp will have worse nightvision than the 2mp
Don't worry, if they are rebranded Hikvision you may have the choice of manually alternating between 2Mp and 3Mp to suit your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't worry, if they are rebranded Hikvision you may have the choice of manually alternating between 2Mp and 3Mp to suit your needs.
Altering the resolution in the camera will not improve the night vision. A native 2mp or 1.3mp camera will be better than the 3mp camera in low light.

a10hog

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks fender man. I might have to get the same one at Amazon again. Ahh.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Heres a night shot with the 4mp, right next to the car is almost complete darkness with a dim light across the street.

Although may not compare with 1/2 sensor models and slightly worse then the 3mp, its still very descent I think

Attachments

a10hog

n3wb
Reaction score
Heres a night shot with the 4mp, right next to the car is almost complete darkness with a dim light across the street.

Although may not compare with 1/2 sensor models and slightly worse then the 3mp, its still very descent I think
Thanks for the snapshot.
By the way, to do port forwarding, is it correct that I need to do port forwarding of the followings?
http port
rstp port
server port
I can view the video properly on my phone but I am not sure if I am exposing more than required. (swann app is really bad...) I wish there's alternative

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the snapshot.
By the way, to do port forwarding, is it correct that I need to do port forwarding of the followings?
http port
rstp port
server port
I can view the video properly on my phone but I am not sure if I am exposing more than required. (swann app is really bad...) I wish there's alternative
HTTP port if you want to use a browser such as firefox to access your NVR. 80 is default
Server Port if you want to view from a mobile device. 8000 is default
RSTP for programs such as Blue Iris.

If your only using mobile devices to view, then no need to forward your HTTP or RSTP ports.

I'm not sure if the Hikvision's IVMS app will work on the swann, I never tested this.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Heres another night shot from a different angle with a 4mp just installed yesterday. This corner is pitch black, not sure if IR reflection off the car might is helping but looks very clean.

kitch.jpg