8 Port PoE Injector - Sufficient Option for Existing Network?

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-48v60w-passive-Ethernet-Injector-cameras/dp/B0086SQDMM/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1420724946&sr=1-3&keywords=poe+switch

Hi folks!

This item looks like a cost effective way to add PoE to my existing GB network, but I wanted to get your expert opinions before going that way. It says it's "passive" which seems to imply that it will not affect the switch speed...Also I have cat 5e cables in place - will that work with PoE? I plan on using Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I cameras (8 eventually).

I'm just trying to be frugal, not cheap, so if it's a bad idea to go this way please let me know...thanks!

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The device says a max rating of 60w, this equates to 60/8 = 7.5w per camera (assuming you have 8 cameras that are being powered), so powering all 8 cams if they are using IR leds is going to be ambitious if not a tad adventurous.

But for less than 8 cams then it will do the job ok.

t says it's "passive" which seems to imply that it will not affect the switch speed
I believe that the passive part refers to the unit being 'dum' in that it will just provide power and not regulate / manage the power being supplied, whereas active has some kind of talking to the camera and will divert power / shut down power cos its clever.

The throughput on each separate channel is not mega, but more than enough for each camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheezy

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not positive on this, but I suspect you will lose your gigabit speeds if you use that POE injector. That injector opens wire 4,5,7, & 8 on the Ethernet cable from the switch and uses them for power exclusively. I'm pretty sure gigabit requires data on all 8 wires. Breaking the data link on 4 wires will force your switch to drop down to 100Mb speed.

Edit- just found this comment form the manufacturer "This device is the 10/100 version - since two pairs are used for data, and 2 pairs for power. There are Gigabit versions "WS-GPOE" that use transformers to share power and data - so all 4 pairs are active and gigabit rates are supported"

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheezy, that is is a good point however, the cameras are all 10/100 so the lack of gigabit should not be an issue.