8mp H.265 Lite "Starlight" Camera?

Burton_Flooring

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just found the bullet for sale on Alibaba: Dahua H.265 Ipc-hfw2831t-zs New 4k 8mp Wdr Ir Bullet Network Ip Camera - Buy Dahua Poe Ir Ip Camera,Auto Networking Ip Camera,Hikvision Ip Camera Product on Alibaba.com

Specs are the same between Dome/Bullet, except for the Fixed Bullet (for some odd reason doesn't have as good lux rating?)

Specs of Vari-focal:
H265_Lite_Specs.PNG

Specs of Fixed Dome:
H265_Lite_Specs_Fixed.PNG

These have the same specs as the 8MP 1/2" HD-CVI cameras. Has anyone bought anything off of Alibaba before? (Not sure I want to be the guinea pig). :)

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would say, there is no "Starlight" or better said Starvis sensor in these cams.

Take a look here: https://www.dahuasecurity.com/search/products?keyword=starvis
The camera's listed on these 33 pages, all have a STARVIS image sensor in them. These are the true Starlight cams.

Never bought anything on alibaba, but you could send @EMPIRETECANDY a message for information about Dahua cams and eventually their price. He does sell them also.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I would say, there is no "Starlight" or better said Starvis sensor in these cams.

Take a look here: https://www.dahuasecurity.com/search/products?keyword=starvis
The camera's listed on these 33 pages, all have a STARVIS image sensor in them. These are the true Starlight cams.

Never bought anything on alibaba, but you could send @EMPIRETECANDY a message for information about Dahua cams and eventually their price. He does sell them also.
thanks @SkyLake Burton already bought some cams from us, these are new cams, but still not ready.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just found the bullet for sale on Alibaba: Dahua H.265 Ipc-hfw2831t-zs New 4k 8mp Wdr Ir Bullet Network Ip Camera - Buy Dahua Poe Ir Ip Camera,Auto Networking Ip Camera,Hikvision Ip Camera Product on Alibaba.com

Specs are the same between Dome/Bullet, except for the Fixed Bullet (for some odd reason doesn't have as good lux rating?)
These have the same specs as the 8MP 1/2" HD-CVI cameras. Has anyone bought anything off of Alibaba before? (Not sure I want to be the guinea pig). :)
Hi Burton,

Alibaba is more of a whole sale version of Aliexpress, and thus the prices you see are missing shipping costs, and often based on a larger number of units than most of us are willing to purchase.

Definitely connect with Andy, our trusted source here for Dahua OEM international models.

Remember it is better to go with vendors who have been vetted by ipct members as there are a number of vendors on ebay, amazon, ali who are a bit deceptive in their product claims. ( example vendors calling Dahua cameras starlights which clearly are not )

Burton_Flooring

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I talked w/ @EMPIRETECANDY and he should have some more of the H.265 Lite series (2mp) in stock next week. 8mp is still too new, so Andy said that will take longer.

When he gets one in stock, I will definitely be buying one to compare it w/ the 4231EM-ASE (similar lux rating).

In my limited testing between 2,,6,8mp Dahua Eco-Savvy 3.0 PoE series and the H.265 Lite series; Dahua's Lux ratings have been accurate and proportionately indicative of the actual low light performance, WITH THE ONLY EXCEPTION BEING THE ABOMINABLE 5MP "Starlight" (that should never have been advertised as such, and which I believe is exactly the same as the 5MP H.265 Lite series cameras with a different name for North American marketing).

IF that holds true for these new 8MP cams, then it would give us a better 8MP option than the current lineup.

Guido87

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These are not officially rated as Starlight cams.

It's in a cheap range... the lite series...

Starlight is not only the sensor. It's also some software part in the cam... and that's only put in the more expensive range cams...

Thats also with the ptz cams. Not much choice in the ultra range. Old 264codecs and not 50/60fps. And in the pro range they have 265+ and 50/60fps cams. So there i dont know if the ultra ptz cams are all better then the pro range... i think not...

Burton_Flooring

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wouldn't totally discount it because it's not labeled "Starlight".

The 6mp 4631em-ase has the famed STARVIS sensor, but it's clearly not as bright as the 5mp "Lite" cam. Refer to this thread for examples :

Lite H.265 series?

They don't have the feature set of the other cameras, true, but the low light performance, I felt, lived up to it's lux rating, which is my point... Labels aren't always the whole picture.

hdw2231r-zs is also in the H.265 Lite range and it DOES have the Starlight sensor. It's just marketing games. Need to test, but it looks like a stripped down 5231r-z. (Now that dahua has stopped manufacturing that model)

If the 5mp "Lite" series outperformed the 6/8mp Eco savvy, then I'm very interested in seeing if these 8mp "Lite" series have better night performance in accordance with their lux rating .

Don't knock it till you try it if I'm wrong (like I was about the N51BI23 Starlight) I will happily admit it, but I'll reserve judgement until someone actually hooks one up.

Last edited:

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What about the (6MP) IPC-HDW5631R-ZE & (8MP) IPC-HDW5831R-ZE ? Both should have a STARVIS sensor, if the specs are legit.
5631R-ZE https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/14291
5831R-ZE https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/14301

This one about the 5631 i found on this forum:
Dahua ePoE 6MP Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5631R-ZE)

Nevermind @Burton_Flooring , as i just found out, that you have commented on the 6 and 8 MP already in that thread :D :D

But i will keep my post, if others should be interested :)

Last edited:

Guido87

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What about the (6MP) IPC-HDW5631R-ZE & (8MP) IPC-HDW5831R-ZE ? Both should have a STARVIS sensor, if the specs are legit.
5631R-ZE https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/14291
5831R-ZE https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/14301

This one about the 5631 i found on this forum:
Dahua ePoE 6MP Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5631R-ZE)

Nevermind @Burton_Flooring , as i just found out, that you have commented on the 6 and 8 MP already in that thread :D :D

But i will keep my post, if others should be interested :)
The real starlight 5231r-ze is 0.006lux at f1.4
The 5831r-ze is 0.05lux at f1.4
Thats a big differnce.

The light serie above is 0.004 at f1.9 and
0.003 at f1.6

The ultra cams are 0.001 or 0.002.
And then there is the differnce in pixel and sensor size.

I have 2 5831r-ze with some floodlights. The nightvieuw in color is really good, but motion is dramatic at 4k with only 15fps, with wdr on only 14fps.

Iam running them at 2560x1440 resolution know, that gives 25fps. And in the night less noise. With 4k the picture is really noisy... and moving objects you see only a blur or transparent moving thing.

Iam amazed off the starlight quality in the revieuws here. Only in daylight nothing can beat the 8mp superior sharpness.
But with night performance am not so happy, I think the 2mp is still super cam.
Hope there will be soon some better higher resolution starlight turrets. I don't like the domes plastic that's affected by uv light....
But I like the dual mini starlight cam.
Domes are little more discreet then the new turret I think. Maybe @EMPIRETECANDY can ask dahua when the are coming with a new turret for us!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The real starlight 5231r-ze is 0.006lux at f1.4
The 5831r-ze is 0.05lux at f1.4
Thats a big differnce.

The light serie above is 0.004 at f1.9 and
0.003 at f1.6

The ultra cams are 0.001 or 0.002.
And then there is the differnce in pixel and sensor size.

I have 2 5831r-ze with some floodlights. The nightvieuw in color is really good, but motion is dramatic at 4k with only 15fps, with wdr on only 14fps.

Iam running them at 2560x1440 resolution know, that gives 25fps. And in the night less noise. With 4k the picture is really noisy... and moving objects you see only a blur or transparent moving thing.

Iam amazed off the starlight quality in the revieuws here. Only in daylight nothing can beat the 8mp superior sharpness.
But with night performance am not so happy, I think the 2mp is still super cam.
Hope there will be soon some better higher resolution starlight turrets. I don't like the domes plastic that's affected by uv light....
But I like the dual mini starlight cam.
Domes are little more discreet then the new turret I think. Maybe @EMPIRETECANDY can ask dahua when the are coming with a new turret for us!
He already has a post which outlines his recent visit to Dahua HQ. Look for that.