8x 3MP cams at 10FPS each and i5 2557M can't handle even 5 cams

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using BI on older Asus Zenbook with Intel Core i5 2557M and 8GB of RAM. Issue is that I just got 3 more 3MP IP cams and since 5 cams were maxing out CPU at 3MP and 10FPS, I am not even going to try to do 8x of them. Especially when I have a lot of shadows moving from trees, it just cooks the processor on motion detection.

What would be the most budget friendly solution here? What is the least costly desktop I can get that can handle it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am using BI on older Asus Zenbook with Intel Core i5 2557M and 8GB of RAM. Issue is that I just got 3 more 3MP IP cams and since 5 cams were maxing out CPU at 3MP and 10FPS, I am not even going to try to do 8x of them. Especially when I have a lot of shadows moving from trees, it just cooks the processor on motion detection.

What would be the most budget friendly solution here? What is the least costly desktop I can get that can handle it?
That processor is very weak.
You need at least an i5-4590 that can be had for 300 dollars. Search the forum for elitedesk and optiplex. You will need to enable direct to disc on each camera and hardware acceleration. If you want more headroom look at an i7-4790 - these can be had for 430-500. Stay away from anything older than haswell (fourth gen)

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I have direct to disk recording turned on. Probably getting i7-4790 might be smarter choice. Same HP Elitedesk and Optiplex on fleebay?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I have direct to disk recording turned on. Probably getting i7-4790 might be smarter choice. Same HP Elitedesk and Optiplex on fleebay?
yes, if you want optiplex see dell outlet twitter, they have sales all the time.
The sixth gen skylakes are dropping in price as well.
search optiplex 7040 and 5040

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well this solves my headache! Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well this solves my headache! Thanks!
see above edit, if you want to spend a bit more you can get sixth gen skylake systems...I would get one that could hold a 2.5 and 3.5 drive..not the minis

vertigo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
FYI, most (all?) mobile Core i5 processors, like the i5 2557M, have only 2 physical processor cores.
Desktop i5's always have 4. The mobiles do have hyperthreading, so can run 4 threads, but thats probably going to make very little difference for well optimized software.
Then of course there is the base clock, the one in your laptop is just 1.7 GHz. Most desktop cpu's will run around twice that frequency.

Still, to run 8x3MP, you are going to need some serious cpu horsepower I think.

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did some optimization of settings and new update helped with CPU utilization. That said, if I left say 3 cams with almost no activity on the laptop and got i5 desktop, that could be more cost effective solution. No? Started separate thread, since I changed the spec to 15FPS and clarified non is continuous recording.

Last edited by a moderator: