A bridge not too far (Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M5)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Especially Teletubbies!
Do they really exist outside the UK? Please don't hold that against us. We all have our full spectrum of life, some aspects of which we'd rather forget.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just redirected here from another thread. The ubiquity thing seems pretty cool but I keep thinking, and I if you already have the electrical power at the gazebo to power the cameras and M5, why not just use power line adapters on the same circuit from the house and an outdoor enclosure around the outlet and CAT POE to the cameras?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Powerline is definitely an alternative if the electrical circuit layout is compatible. However it can be just as temperamental as wifi if conditions aren't good for it. My main complaint about UBNT gear is the cheap proprietary PoE injectors they include often die somewhat prematurely. On the plus side, the radio is usually okay and the injectors are cheap.

Reaction score
Sorry that looks horrible, I’m sure those lunch boxes are not water sealed. You should look into LCOM boxes. They sell in various sizes and vented/fanned models. Ubiquiti is solid if you lock in the best frequency and channel, their app let’s you align perfectly.
This is the most recent ubnt setup at a home owners association.

IMG_1860.jpgIMG_1856.jpgIMG_2290.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Very nice, is that your personal setup? or for a customer?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@CCTV SURVEILLANCE , very nicely done boxes but I am curious....

I see you're in south FL, the "lightning capital of the world", many claim and I did not see any ESD protection devices in the boxes, at least not evident. If that's correct, any reason why you don't install any?

Reaction score
Hi @TonyR you're correct I use to install PoE RJ45 Surge protection (@ the camera end) on higher dollar cameras and after a few storms and hurricanes of use I found they don't work or work just as good as when I have the Pole and NEMA boxes grounded in addition to weather protecting cable ends and using outdoor cable, in pipe(PVC). If the request for additional surge/lightning protection it is ever made or questioned I always offer a ground or surge protection unit in each box. The client usually declines the added protection measures/products because of the cost, or their own knowledge of surges in FL.
sorry I didn't have alerts turned on for this forum. Thanks for your reply to my post

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This was for a customer....View attachment 32643
Thanks troll but I was referring to your photos of the Tupperware power box conversion. Horrible
Hmm... In my book leaving an outlet with no cover installed with the socket facing up is pretty bad and violates several NEC provisions. It could pose a serious electrocution hazard if water get in there or somebody is poking around in the box. Frankly, I think Q's Tupperware is less hazardous it may not be a NEMA enclosure but he didn't install a FuQing 120V electrical socket like you in the Tupperware did he?

If you install stuff like this regularly you really need to stock some faceplates that don't overhang an outdoor junction box and don't install outlets anywhere in a manner that can collect water.

Hopefully it's GFI protected upstream, but even if it is, GFCIs can fail to trip. I've seen some people who are shockingly carefree about GFI trips and just reset them over and over without fixing the actual problem, when they need to treat it as "hey that was really fucking stupid and this gfci just saved my life".

Last edited: