A couple of questions before cutting over to Blue Iris...

NVR990

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m getting ready to switch over to a new Blue Iris system. BI will run on its own (dedicated) PC and the OS will be Win10-Pro. A couple of questions:

1) Is it advisable to run anti-virus software on this PC? Or just rely on Windows defender and Windows built-in firewall? (In case it matters, my plan is to make remote access to the PC available via OpenVPN, not port forwarding.)

2) Is there a configuration within BI (or do I need a specialized camera) in order to clearly view a license plate number at night?

Under my current setup, when viewing at night (using IR on cam), license plates are not readable (they are completely “whited out”), presumably because the surface of the license plate is too IR-reflective(?). During the day, I can read a license plate number, provided that the vehicle comes into the focus range of the camera.

Anyway, I’m wondering if Blue Iris has any functionality/settings that would help with this, or would I need to invest in a specialized camera? This is something that I need only sporadically, so I’m not looking to make a major investment into a fancy LPR system.

Thanks!

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, Log! I had not seen that thread!

Anyone care to weigh in on the anti-virus issue?
My server runs BI4 and HS3. Nothing else. It is Win 10 Home. I have disabled automatic updates via a registry change so I can control when they download and apply. It is pretty pristine. I have malwarebytes installed but it does not always run, only when I initiate a scan. My main goal is to have it be able to run without any interruptions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Log! I had not seen that thread!

Anyone care to weigh in on the anti-virus issue?
either is fine but you must exclude blue iris program and storage folders from scanning as indicated in the help file...personally I use norton...