A couple questions with deactivating BI on old machine and activating on new machine

Skinny1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, couple questions. I deactivated my old copy of Blue Irisas I bought a new computer because my old computer CPU was running at 100% CPUusage with 6 camera’s when recording.

I installed Blue Iris on my new computer and everything isworking except it will not update to the latest version of Blue Iris. Is therea time period I have to wait before it will update?

Then when I play back my recorded video it just keepsplaying like it is set to loop. I cannot find where to get it to play only onewithout looping continuously.

New computer is running at 29% idol and 32% recording two cameras.What a world of difference between the old computer and new I7 6700 3.4 GHz.

Thank you,
Rick

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: A couple questions with deactivating BI on old machine and activating on new mach

Ok, couple questions. I deactivated my old copy of Blue Irisas I bought a new computer because my old computer CPU was running at 100% CPUusage with 6 camera’s when recording.

I installed Blue Iris on my new computer and everything isworking except it will not update to the latest version of Blue Iris. Is therea time period I have to wait before it will update?

Then when I play back my recorded video it just keepsplaying like it is set to loop. I cannot find where to get it to play only onewithout looping continuously.

New computer is running at 29% idol and 32% recording two cameras.What a world of difference between the old computer and new I7 6700 3.4 GHz.

Thank you,
Rick
Manually run the update from the website. Also enable direct to disk recording and hardware acceleration and your cpu consumption will drop considerably.
See the help file for loop setting. Its an option in blue iris options.

Skinny1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Re: A couple questions with deactivating BI on old machine and activating on new mach

Ok, I found the box to stop the playback looping.

Where is the box to check for hardware acceleration?

Thank you,

Rick

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Ok, I found the box to stop the playback looping.

Thank you,

Rick
Direct to disk is more important than hardware acceleration. If you are still running the old version then you might not have HA...update first.

Skinny1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Ok, thank you Fenderman for the information. One last question. If I update BI from the webpage will I lose my settings?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

No.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

It is a dropdown box, not a checkbox, and you can find it in Blue Iris Options > Cameras tab.

You can try with and without VideoPostProc to see which results in lower CPU usage, but when you have more than about 4 cameras then VideoPostProc is likely to actually make performance worse. It is perfectly safe to just use H.264 acceleration as is highlighted in this screenshot.

Skinny1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Thank you BP2008

Skinny1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

OK, I have direct to disk recording turned on and it really knocks down the CPU usage. However it took my date and time stamp off the videos. How do I get that turned back on? The time stamp shows on the screen but when I go to view the recorded video's there is no time or date stamps.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

OK, I have direct to disk recording turned on and it really knocks down the CPU usage. However it took my date and time stamp off the videos. How do I get that turned back on?
You need the cameras to supply the osd timestamp...not Blue Iris. A lot of us run http://www.timesynctool.com on our BI servers and configure the cameras to use it as a ntp source.

Skinny1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I downloaded and installed the latest version of Blue Iris onto my computer because the bought version was not updating. I did not uninstall the bought version. Now it is locking up every couple hours. It is a brand new machine I bought this last Wednesday. When I had the bought version running I had no issues until I downloaded and installed the latest version of BI over the top of the bought version. Any idea's?

Thank you in advance!

Rick

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I downloaded and installed the latest version of Blue Iris onto my computer because the bought version was not updating. I did not uninstall the bought version. Now it is locking up every couple hours. It is a brand new machine I bought this last Wednesday. When I had the bought version running I had no issues until I downloaded and installed the latest version of BI over the top of the bought version. Any idea's?...
Sorry Rick...not too certain what you mean by the "bought version." Is Blue Iris installed with the correct product key? What version of Windows are you running. Have you looked for any related entries in the Windows Event Log? What do you mean by "locking up?" Does locking up mean the machine freezes up...or is you machine crashing with an on-screen error message? Are you running any other software when the "lock up" happens?

Skinny1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I bought a version of Blue Iris off Amazon.com. I installed in on a brand new machine, no other software is install on this machine or running on this machine except Blue Iris. When I say locked up I mean the computer is locked up solid. I can't even use Ctrl-Alt-Delete. I have to shut the machine completely off to restart it. There is no error messages. It just locks up after an hour or two of running. I have the screen saver and auto sleep shut off on the computer. The installed version I installed on the machine when I bought it Wednesday ran flawlessly for three days before I downloaded and installed the latest version of Blue Iris. I am stumped!

Thank you for your reply,

Rick

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Do a clean install of windows on the machine...

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Should he not try to run the Repair installation procedure first?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Should he not try to run the Repair installation procedure first?
Cant hurt but I would always clean install a new machine..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

But you're not normal.
True...But I understand that others who have been certified normal do the same...

Skinny1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Thank you guys. I shut off Intel Acceleration and ran the software as Admin and it has been running for 24 hours no problems. Maybe I got lucky this time!! Rick