A crime occured at my neighbors in my camera view, but my hard drive was unplugged.

Reaction score
and I didn't know it. Is there a way it might have been backed up on FTP or would I have to set that up?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: A crime occured at my neighbors in my camera view, but my hard drive was unplugge

and I didn't know it. Is there a way it might have been backed up on FTP or would I have to set that up?
You would need to set it up and it would still need to be written to the drive first. This is one of the reasons why recording to an internal drive is optimal

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Re: A crime occured at my neighbors in my camera view, but my hard drive was unplugge

If your camera has it's own storage (sd-card) and was previously set up to record, you might have something there.
All of my cams that have sd-cards are recording motion locally in addition to what BI pulls, as a sort of distributed backup.
SD-cards don't last forever tho, so it's worth checking on them once in a while...

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score

That sucks. Hopefully there's in-cam storage via SD card. If not, then unless you've got something else set up that we can't know about from here then I'd say you've got nothing.

Things like that are one of the reasons that a dedicated PC for your camera system is highly recommended. If it's not used for anything else then there's less change of something getting touched, changed, unplugged, or installed that's going to bugger up your video records. And that's if only one person is using the system. Double the users probably has four times the chance for screwups.

I don't use a dedicated PC but that also has its advantages when I'm the only one touching/changing things. Every time I'm on the computer I check that things are running properly. In addition to Blue Iris, I use edge storage with some of my cameras. Internally to SD in the cams, and streamed to NAS on a 3gig external USB drive plugged into my router. If the computer crashes or gets stolen/smashed I've still got storage in-cam and on the HD. Purists will laugh at calling a USB drive NAS, but it IS storage attached to the network and works as such.