A few Blue Iris Questions

yandreev3

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have 30 axis cameras and 4 reolinks connected to an i7 64gb recording pc and everything seems to be working well. It has been running for a few months without too many issues. I just have a few quick questions for finishing off my project.

Is there a way to get a small PiP window on the screen when motion is detected? For example, while watching a movie, I'd like to know and be able to instantly see if someone falls in the pool or if one of my cars gets moved without my movie or whatever else I am doing getting interrupted fully? Something like a small window in the corner of the screen showing just the camera that has motion going on.

Is there some software/app for windows that can be used to watch the cameras from a different pc? The web browser interface is trash and the jpeg refresh is the only thing that works so I get choppy video. I already tried blueiriscompanion from the windows store but that was horribly unreliable and almost never worked.

Finally, is there an android app for monitoring the blueiris connected cameras that isnt the blue iris app?

Thanks!

yandreev3

n3wb
Reaction score
The blue iris android app works well, have you tried it?
For simply viewing and quick review, the webserver works great over IE. What is trash about it?
You can also modify the webserver using this I made a better remote-live-view page
I have tried the app on a buddie's setup. The gui isn't too pretty but that's whatever. But it costs $10 and after having to pay for their software thats kinda bs to me. SO it's more a personal thing why I don't want to use it.
I don't use IE. I have it completely removed from all of my PCs. What's trash to me is that the interface is super lackluster and that the video isn't smooth due to the only working page being a jpeg refresh.
I'll take a look at that link.

As for the quick glance motion feed; any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried the app on a buddie's setup. The gui isn't too pretty but that's whatever. But it costs $10 and after having to pay for their software thats kinda bs to me. SO it's more a personal thing why I don't want to use it.
I don't use IE. I have it completely removed from all of my PCs. What's trash to me is that the interface is super lackluster and that the video isn't smooth due to the only working page being a jpeg refresh.
I'll take a look at that link.

As for the quick glance motion feed; any ideas?
SO you are going be cheap on a 10 dollar app after only paying 60 dollars for a vms that is handling your 30 plus cameras....there are other vms options that provide FREE mobile apps...milestone, exacq. avigilon, you should check them out.
If you use IE the video will be smooth....there is nothing wrong with IE....

yandreev3

n3wb
Reaction score
Yup gonna cheap out on that.

SO unless I use IE, the web interface is going to be sub-par? neat. I just downloaded the UI2 and I'm trying to get that going so I'll see how that does.

Again nothing on the pop-up feed? lol

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup gonna cheap out on that.

SO unless I use IE, the web interface is going to be sub-par? neat. I just downloaded the UI2 and I'm trying to get that going so I'll see how that does.

Again nothing on the pop-up feed? lol
yup its going to be subpar....use IE or try the bp2008 interface and it should work fine for you...
You cannot simply pop up a feed PIP. If you are running a media server or using this pc for anything else than blue iris that is another mistake...
Like I said there are many other vms that will suit your needs since blue iris does not meet your lofty standards and you refuse to pay 10 dollars for one of the best mobile apps in the industry...keep shooting yourself in the foot and refuse to pay 10 dollars...

yandreev3

n3wb
Reaction score
yup its going to be subpar....use IE or try the bp2008 interface and it should work fine for you...
You cannot simply pop up a feed PIP. If you are running a media server or using this pc for anything else than blue iris that is another mistake...
Like I said there are many other vms that will suit your needs since blue iris does not meet your lofty standards and you refuse to pay 10 dollars for one of the best mobile apps in the industry...keep shooting yourself in the foot and refuse to pay 10 dollars...
Alright yeah i have been trying to get the bp2008 interface working since you posted that link and I cannot seem to be able to get past the login.... I went ahead and asked for help in his thread.
It is on an unraid vm server. It runs a lot of things. Have had no issues so far.
Yeah I chose BI because a network security friend recommended it to me and showed me it. I'll go ahead and check out some of those ones you mentioned.
Damn I was hoping PiP would be possible but if not, I'll try to figure something else out. I thought about having another zone on the sound system and when there's an alert, just switch the tv/projector inputs to the other zone and switch back after a bit but that would be too intrusive so that's why I was looking for something more integrated and out of the way.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I chose BI because a network security friend recommended it to me and showed me it. I'll go ahead and check out some of those ones you mentioned.
BI is good, those other vms's are very good in some ways even better but you will pay 50-150+ PER camera license...my point was you are being sill about the 10 dollar mobile app. Once you see the pricing of other VMS you will understand.

bitNine

n3wb
Reaction score
I hate IE, but the ActiveX control is a billion times better than the standard viewer AND the Java viewer (You could always install the Java viewer, but that would also mean installing java). It's worth using IE just for that. While I know that Ken has been toying with the idea of a client program, I doubt we'll be seeing that any time soon.