A few questions before pulling the trigger

TheJM

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I currently have 5 Ubiquity G3 cameras and will be adding a Hikvision to the mix. I am currently using the Unifi Video controller and am looking to switch to Blue Iris to integrate all cameras. I have a few questions as to how the software works.

1. Are my Unifi cameras compatible with Blue Iris? Is there a compatibility lift or guide? They can put out an RTSP stream if thats relevant.
2. I'm a little confused as to how the motion detection works. The Hikvision camera I'm looking at is a PTZ with auto tracking. As an example, if it is panning one direction and a second camera detects motion in another, can that trigger the first camera (the PTZ) to pan to and view the motion the second camera saw?
3. Is this software capable of facial recognition and License Plate Recognition?
4. This will be run in a VM on my Hyper-V server. What are the hardware recommendations for Blue Iris (number of cores? Ram?) Do you need a graphics card or how would that improve performance?

TheJM

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay so i answered my first question. Looks like the cameras are compatible as long as you put them in standalone mode. Also i found the hardware guide on here but i have read mixed things about the Nvidia Cuda support and how much it helps. My plan right now is to run Blue Iris as a VM on my server. The CPU is the Intel Xeon E-2136 which does not support Intel Quick Sync. I can easily add a graphics card to reduce the load on the CPU. How much difference would that make? For reference i only have 6 1080p cameras.