a little question about LANs

westikle

n3wb
Reaction score
i'm a little confused about the lan address listed by both blue iris and the cams software that came with my camera. under the settings of both programs the camera's lan address is listed as 192.168.149.133 or something like that. but i know for a fact that the local address for the cam is 192.168.0.16, as listed in my router settings. that's also the only address that allows me to view from the camera from all devices on the lan. what is this other address? i try to change it in the "web server" settings of blue iris but it won't let me. is the camera providing it's own address of some kind? i don't quite understand it. i've taken a couple networking class so i'm not unfamiliar with lans, wans, ip addresses and what not. i'm just kind of confused. anyone have any issue sort of like this?

thanks
wes

edit: upon further investigation, that address does take me to the blue iris login screen. it only works when blue iris is open, but it still shows up in CMS when BI is closed. where does this address come from and what's the point when i can use the lan address listed in my router?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i'm a little confused about the lan address listed by both blue iris and the cams software that came with my camera. under the settings of both programs the camera's lan address is listed as 192.168.149.133 or something like that. but i know for a fact that the local address for the cam is 192.168.0.16, as listed in my router settings. that's also the only address that allows me to view from the camera from all devices on the lan. what is this other address? i try to change it in the "web server" settings of blue iris but it won't let me. is the camera providing it's own address of some kind? i don't quite understand it. i've taken a couple networking class so i'm not unfamiliar with lans, wans, ip addresses and what not. i'm just kind of confused. anyone have any issue sort of like this?

thanks
wes
Welcome to the forum. The lan address of the webserver will ALWAYS be the same as the PC on which blue iris is installed...

westikle

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. And thanks for the reply. I believe that's what i read somewhere in the BI help file. It's a little vague however. Are you saying the same as the PC's lan address? If so, that's where my confusion lies. the two addresses are not the same. the address listed by BI and CMS is even out of the subnet range of my lan.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. And thanks for the reply. I believe that's what i read somewhere in the BI help file. It's a little vague however. Are you saying the same as the PC's lan address? If so, that's where my confusion lies. the two addresses are not the same. the address listed by BI and CMS is even out of the subnet range of my lan.
Yes the same as the pc lan address. The webserver address will be the pc's lan address followed by the port number you selected...Not sure about your cms reference..are you running a second vms software? If the lan address listed in the BI webserver tab is not the same as your pc, see if you can select the correct one from the dropdown box...

westikle

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. CMS came with the camera, I thought it might be a common generic software. I did overlook one thing however. I'm running BI on a virtual windows machine so it has its own separate IP address. This adds another layer I guess. I'm going to do some research on that.