ABUS NVR10030 unusable

remkie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me, I have a NVR from ABUS. Type NVR10030.
I have tried to update the firmware. Unfortunately, the NVR has become unusable.
There are all kinds of strange characters in the drop down menu for the users. The password I set is unusable.
The previous firmware version was V3.4.8 and I installed firmware version V4.21.006. Before I could install this latest version I should have installed 3.5.99 first. I skipped this step and this makes the NVR unusable.

The printed circuit board reads DS-80232 rev1.2.
When I search for this on the internet I come across Hikvision. But I can't find this NVR on the site.

Can anyone help me to undo this firmware update?
I've already tries the tftp update but this dit not work for me.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've already tries the tftp update but this dit not work for me.
What firmware did you try (link) ?
What do you believe the equivalent Hikvision model to be?

Did the NVR connect to the tftp updater?
If so, and the firmware file is larger than 32MB, you can use the Scott Lamb Python-based clone to get round the file size limit of the Hikvision tftp updater.

remkie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for your response. i have tried firmware 4.21.006 from Abus.

I don't know if this is a Hikvision NVR, but when i google with the number DS-80232 rev1.2 that is on the circuit board I found information from Hikvision.
So maybe this NVR is made by Hikvision??

I was able to connect the NVR with the tftp updater but i got this error: Open file failure [C:\TFTP-Update\econt_Vision-AV2000

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was able to connect the NVR with the tftp updater but i got this error: Open file failure [C:\TFTP-Update\econt_Vision-AV2000
That's not actually an error - the tftp server is not being connected to by the NVR, there is no handshake.
When the NVR boots up, it does some probes on the local network to determine if there are any devices (eg IP cameras) that it supports and could be added.
One of those probes, for ArecontVision devices, happens to use a similar handshake as is used by the Hikvision tftp updater, and gives that slightly misleading message.
When you first ran the tftpserve.exe program, did you get a Windows firewall 'Allow' popup and clicked OK to it?
If not - try temporarily disabling the Windows firewall and re-try connecting.
Also - try using 192.168.1.128 instead for the PC running the tftp updater.
Some Hikvision devices use that address as the tftp handshake target.

I don't know if this is a Hikvision NVR, but when i google with the number DS-80232 rev1.2 that is on the circuit board I found information from Hikvision.
So maybe this NVR is made by Hikvision??
I think you are correct. But which model - that's the question.
edit On looking at the ABUS web page for the model you quoted - they helpfully include a valid firmware download for the model - so no need for guesswork as to where to source it.
* edit2 * And you will definitely need to use the Scott Lamb tftp updater clone to try loading the firmware - it's too big for the Hikvision tftp updater.

Does your NVR have a DB9 RS-232 connector on the back panel?

Last edited:

remkie

n3wb
Reaction score
That's not actually an error - the tftp server is not being connected to by the NVR, there is no handshake.
When the NVR boots up, it does some probes on the local network to determine if there are any devices (eg IP cameras) that it supports and could be added.
One of those probes, for ArecontVision devices, happens to use a similar handshake as is used by the Hikvision tftp updater, and gives that slightly misleading message.
When you first ran the tftpserve.exe program, did you get a Windows firewall 'Allow' popup and clicked OK to it?
If not - try temporarily disabling the Windows firewall and re-try connecting.
Also - try using 192.168.1.128 instead for the PC running the tftp updater.
Some Hikvision devices use that address as the tftp handshake target.

I think you are correct. But which model - that's the question.
edit On looking at the ABUS web page for the model you quoted - they helpfully include a valid firmware download for the model - so no need for guesswork as to where to source it.
* edit2 * And you will definitely need to use the Scott Lamb tftp updater clone to try loading the firmware - it's too big for the Hikvision tftp updater.

Does your NVR have a DB9 RS-232 connector on the back panel?
Thank you again. I have yet to figure out how the Scott Lamb method works.
I have the correct firmware, that's not the problem. But apparently I have overwritten an old version of firmware with a too new one, and now the device is unusable. From Abus I understand that Abus himself cannot undo this either. Now I have found this forum with a bunch of smart people and hope to get the NVR working again.
Yes the NVR does have a RS232 connector.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the correct firmware, that's not the problem. But apparently I have overwritten an old version of firmware with a too new one, and now the device is unusable.
The same problem has been experienced by some forum members who also updated a Hikvision NVR to the NVR 4.x firmware from too old a 3.x firmware.
Hikvision eventually recognised it as a problem and issued an advisory specifying the needed update path, as per the advisory in the firmware bundle you downloaded.

Yes the NVR does have a RS232 connector.
If that's the case - and you don't succeed with the Scott Lamb tftp updater clone - there is another route to update firmware.
You would need a USB to RS232 interface (or a PC that already has an RS232 interface) and a null modem cable.
This will gain access to the serial console on the DB9 connector on the NVR back panel.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
This may be worth trying :

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
And another instance :

remkie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for your help!! With the Scott Lamb tftp updater I was able to upload firmware V3.5.99 to my NVR.
after uploading i could change the password again.
Now i have updated to the newest firmware 4.21.006.

Thank you again for your help!!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent!
That's a great result, well done.
Are you going to contact Abus to advise them how to do this type of fix ....