NVR Unable to Login

Reaction score
I inherited a Hikvision DS-9616/32/64NI-I8 unit that does not work. I believe the last thing that was done was a botched firmware upgrade to the unit. It boots and the username field is all random symbols and characters, there are about 25 of these in the drop down. I tried connecting a RS232 cable during boot but nothing shows in the console session.

My question is without being able to get into the unit is there a way to do a factory reset and start over?

Attachments

Reaction score
I have been reading that thread and it seems directed at cameras not at the NVR unit. I am not sure of what the IP address is of the unit so I wouldnt know how to talk to it. I was hoping I would be able to do a factory restore then work from there.

Reaction score
SADP just shows the information of the unit I cannot find a post where that fixed a bricked NVR, can you copy what you are seeing? I am trying to load the digicap.dav file via TFTP but it just keeps repeating that it is transmitting and never finishes. I have never worked with these units before so I may be missing something.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am trying to load the digicap.dav file via TFTP but it just keeps repeating that it is transmitting and never finishes
The Hikvision tftp updater tol will not handle firmware files larger than 32MB.
How big is the digicap.dav file?

I tried connecting a RS232 cable during boot but nothing shows in the console session.
RS232 as opposed to TTL serial ?
If nothing shows - quite likely you need a null modem cable, and the TX and RX will need swapped around.
I'm pretty sure you will be able to get into the serial console, and you will be able to trigger a firmware update from there.

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am unfamiliar with TTL serial as well.
That would only be needed for an on-board serial console. And that if it exists would be damaged if hooked up to an RS232 interface.
You've indicated that your NVR has a DB9 connector, on the back. These are usually RS232 or RS485 (for PTZ contyrol).
What is it labelled as?

I have a standard serial cable currently, does that mean I need a different cable?
Quite likely.
But a swap of pins 2 and 3 (RX, TX) would be sufficient to try.
RS232 is short-circuit proof, so no harm will be done when they are the wrong way round.

Reaction score
Yes that USB cable was in the box with the other items that was left for me. That is not the cable I have currently connected to the RS232 port on the back. Do you know of an easy way to swap those pins or do I need to cut up a cable that I have?

Do I need to swap the pins on both ends or just one end of the cable?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, that is true, didnt think that one all the way through. Ok let me find a cable to cut up and see when I can do with it.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
It boots and the username field is all random symbols and characters, there are about 25 of these in the drop down.
If you happened to have disabled the password on the CONSOLE (mouse & hdmi UI)
you can 'restore to inactive' from the 'system maintenance'/defaults page' and go from there...

If you are locked out the console as well as the UI due to changed admin username, see
NVR V3.4.62 build160503 Multi-lingual Release

the user/password database is basically munged, so there's a good chance that one or more of the admin users have blank passwords.

Reaction score
I was able to get into the serial port after switching the pins on the cable, from here I am not sure how to reset it to factory defaults. I am trying to get it back to a stable point where we can configure it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done, getting there!

Hint - easier both for you and us - using PuTTY for the serial comms, if you click for the top left menu, you can use 'Copy all to clipboard' and paste text into Notepad or similar to save/edit /copy etc.

As you have the required firmware - here is what you should be able to do:
Know what IP address the PC is using. Let's say it's 192.168.1.xx
Install a 'normal' tftp server on the PC. The Jounin one, 32 bit version, works quite well : TFTP server
Place the digicap.dav firmware file in the same folder.
With the NVR powered off, start PuTTY.
Keep Control-U pressed on the keyboard so it auto-repeats.
Power on the NVR.
This should interrupt the bootloader and give you probably an HKVS # prompt.

At the prompt, use the command
printenv
to show current environment variables.
You'll need to (temporarily) change a couple to save having to change the PC IP address.
For the PC tftp server IP address :
setenv serverip 192.168.1.xx
For the NVR IP address, pick one in the same range, for example :
setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.200
These are not being saved, so won't make a permanent change.

Now use the command
update
which should download the firmware file and verify it and carry out the update.

Good luck!

Feel free to copy serial console text here, pasting it into the Code tags (the '+' in the Edit menu) if there are any problems.