Access to BI through smart phone

Stevezila

n3wb
Reaction score
I have BI installed, camera connected and am trying to configure so that I can access system through my smart phone. I am using a web safe router, a netgear RP614. so my internet connects to the router and the router connects to my modem, then to the computer. When I go through the setup wizard all goes well until the next to last step and I stop getting the green checks telling me that all is well. If I click on the can you see me link, that utility says that I can be seen from the outside but the setup wizard. i know my IP address, and I know the IP address for the router. Is the web safe router my WAN? and my IP address the LAN? I must have an address out of place. Any ideas on what to look for?
Thnaks
Steven

FoulFoot

n3wb
Reaction score
Your internet (coax cable) should be plugged into your modem first, and then to your router. If you're plugging in to your router first, then you don't need the modem.

Your router has an external IP address, which you can get by going to IP Address, Get my IP, IPv4, IPv6, Internet Protocol in your browser. That's the IP address you need to navigate to on your phone, also adding the port number. So if the port number of Blue Iris is 16356, you'd navigate to myipaddress:16356.

However, before you do that, you need to make sure the port is open (forwarding) on your router. You'll need to go to the router's config panel, which you can usually get to by going to your router's internal IP (usually 192.168.1.1). Port-forward the BlueIris port to same port on your PC (you'll need the internal IP address of your machine, which would be 192.168.1.xxx in a typical setup).

Hope that helps.

Scott

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have BI installed, camera connected and am trying to configure so that I can access system through my smart phone. I am using a web safe router, a netgear RP614. so my internet connects to the router and the router connects to my modem, then to the computer. When I go through the setup wizard all goes well until the next to last step and I stop getting the green checks telling me that all is well. If I click on the can you see me link, that utility says that I can be seen from the outside but the setup wizard. i know my IP address, and I know the IP address for the router. Is the web safe router my WAN? and my IP address the LAN? I must have an address out of place. Any ideas on what to look for?
Thnaks
Steven
forget the wizard...
you need to port forward the webserver port...your wan ip address is your public ip...your lan address is the local address of the PC running BI. You must follow the ip address with a colon then port for example 23.432.42.12:XXXX where XXXX is your port.
Then read the vpn primer for noobs thread...you should strongly consider upgrading your router (yours is very old) and running a vpn server for secure access...port forwarding is not secure.

Stevezila

n3wb
Reaction score
Foulfoot, Fenderman, Thanks so much for the replies. all this makes sense and I will try moving the modem out in front. And yes Fenderman, I suppose it's time to look at a new router as it's been awhile and as I have been reading, an open port means that someone can hack into my system and access my cameras. Thanks again for the help!! Merry Christmas everyone!!
Steven