Access UI3 or BI App externally?

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm currently using ddns and nginx proxy manager to access my blue iris server via UI3 and the BI app.

Is there a way I can access my BI without the use of the ddns and nginx proxy without changing the current router settings for the nginx as I have other sites I use this to access.

I tried the web server wan IP but had no luck - is this because my 443 port is configured to go through my proxy manager already?

Is there a simple guide to set this up?

On his website he claims:

Built-in web server enables you to bring your Blue Iris with you anywhere!
Remotely connect to your Blue Iris from anywhere in the world, from any web enabled device.

Thanks

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Does your router have an option for VPN server service? This would be the ideal scenario for achieving your goal.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does your router have an option for VPN server service? This would be the ideal scenario for achieving your goal.

Yes I use 2 openvpn and the asus instant guard.

But was wondering how he suggests accessing without a vpn or proxy manager.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes I use 2 openvpn and the asus instant guard.

But was wondering how he suggests accessing without a vpn or proxy manager.
You would have to utilize port-forwarding which would allow you access IN to your private network (LAN) from the Internet. This method would also allow the opportunity for others on the Internet to access your LAN. This is explained in more detail in the "don't get hacked" link sent in my previous post.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You would have to utilize port-forwarding which would allow you access IN to your private network (LAN) from the Internet. This method would also allow the opportunity for others on the Internet to access your LAN. This is explained in more detail in the "don't get hacked" link sent in my previous post.
Ok so no safe way - this is why I use a proxy manager for encryption. My 2 ports point to my nginx already - do not want to change this.
Or just vpn
Thanks

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Was asking more for a friend who wants to set up a BI pc next year. He's not IT savvy at all and don't think he'll be using a vpn on his phone each time.
Push notifications to the BI app will not work without a ddns or vpn.

There is a windows version of nginx proxy I believe. Never tried it though.
Or could install desktop docker on his windows pc.
Don't want to be responsible for his network getting hacked by opening ports without any kind of proxy manager

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
There's the Pushover.net service, where notifications come to the phone from BI. There's a one-time purchase fee for the phone app, and as I recall 10,000 free notifications per month. The notifications are set up in the Alerts tab of each camera. This would not require a VPN or proxy manager or port forwarding at all, just to receive notifications.

Edit: Within the On Alert listing, I am using an email server sending an email to the "pomail.com" service available at Pushover.Net, and am attaching a BI screenshot. These alerts arrive at the phone as Pushover notifications.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Was asking more for a friend who wants to set up a BI pc next year. He's not IT savvy at all and don't think he'll be using a vpn on his phone each time.
Push notifications to the BI app will not work without a ddns or vpn.

There is a windows version of nginx proxy I believe. Never tried it though.
Or could install desktop docker on his windows pc.
Don't want to be responsible for his network getting hacked by opening ports without any kind of proxy manager
setup zero tier or tailscale, he just needs to leave it on...
as noted pushover works great for alerts. Also note push alerts via the app work without vpn, its only the photos that need a connection back to the server.