Accessing PT5AM22XH200 outside of home network without NVR

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys I have a Cantonk PT5AM22XH200. Adding to my NVR is not an option at this time. I am unable to hit it from outside of my network. I've setup the port forwarding, but cannot receive a response from the camera. I have no issues using it inside my network. Would anyone be able to lend some insight with this particular model?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys I have a Cantonk PT5AM22XH200. Adding to my NVR is not an option at this time. I am unable to hit it from outside of my network. I've setup the port forwarding, but cannot receive a response from the camera. I have no issues using it inside my network. Would anyone be able to lend some insight with this particular model?
dont....use vpn..

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good point...because if I use VPN, then I don't need to setup port forwarding?

e007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good point...because if I use VPN, then I don't need to setup port forwarding?
You need to forward the VPN port only (for example raspberry pi running openvpn server) and it's secure.

Unless it's a router then I think there is no need for portforwarding.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to need to call Frontier and convert my Fios to ONT so I can install a better router.

But I will share some learning - turns out I would have been able to access the camera, but my interim Camera network is hooked up a little differently until I can run lines to it.

I have my router serving DCHP to a TPLink AP/Switch. I then have a EOC AP wirelessly connected to the TPLink. The cameras connected to the EOC have no issues talking to the Blue Iris machine that connected to the TPLink. But nothing connected to the EOC can talk to the internet.

If I put the camera on the TPLink end of the network, I could hit it just fine. The cameras can't seem to find a path to the internet from the EOC AP. Hasn't been an issue because my Blue Iris serve is inside the network, and seems to be able to talk to everything...it's only when I try to come in from outside the network, if it's not a device connected to the TPLink, it can't get out to the internet.

My old computer doesn't support more than two cameras. Hopefully soon I can start running wires, but probably won't be until after the summer. In the interim, I'll see if I can convert to ONT and try to set up a router based VPN.