Accidentally bricked Hikvision NVR DS-9616

Midrar

n3wb
Reaction score
I was performing a firmware upgrade on my US hikvision nvr but seems I missed the warning below which states not to to upgrade from an older firmware. So now my unit is Bricked. Am I screwed or do I have another way of getting it back to work.

For the record, after the firmware update, I can see it in sadp but can’t connect. When I connect a monitor, I see gibberish in the user name.

Warning for I-Series NVR users:
Before upgrading to v4.1.10 or v4.22.000 firmware. Be sure the NVR is on at least firmware 3.4.92 or 3.4.93. Failure to have the NVR on either of these firmware versions before upgrading to v4.1.10 or v4.22.000 could render the NVR in-operable

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Am I screwed or do I have another way of getting it back to work.
You are not alone with this specific problem, it seems to be a corrupted configuration.
If you can access the serial console to apply the same firmware update, that will clear the configuration.

Does that model have an RS232 connector on the back panel, a DB9 connector?
If to, you should be able to access the serial console if you use a null modem cable to connect to a PC with an RS232 interface.
If not on the back panel, there will be a serial console connector internally on the main board.