Actual human detection vs Camera "Intrusion Detection" features

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We are low tech and have dogs. When they alert I go out and later check recordings if necessary.
I am setting up some security equipment this week (hass w/ zwave & zigbee stuff), and implementing outdoor human detection is tricky. I have a dog that is also very reliable (zero false alarms btw... only when someone is on my property and I don't see them first), and was thinking of somehow using his bark as a trigger. Has anyone else done something like that...maybe use mics to sample sounds and trigger when the sound matches a recording of the dog barking? Any feedback or info would be appreciated... seems corny but if the sounds could be compared accurately, it would save a lot in outdoor sensor equipment.

Kev

emerb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It appears to me Dahua already addressed this issue with AI algorithms running in the camera, what I believe they are calling SMD Plus (Smart Motion Detection Plus).
The model that is running in the camera is trained to identify people and vehicles.

Here is a Dahua YouTube animation illustrating and solving the exact same issues discussed in this thread.
And in a Facebook post they describe it as:

Smart Motion Detection Plus, is a version upgrade of SMD that greatly improves the alarm accuracy by loading deep learning algorithm. It analyzes person and vehicle shapes based on motion detection and sends alarms only when person and vehicle intrudes.

And here is a YouTube video of someone demoing a Dahua camera doing just that: Triggering by people and ignoring vehicles and vice versa.

However information on devices supporting the technology appears to be hard to find (maybe because I don't know where to look?).
I couldn't find camera models that has the technology available.

The reason I started looking in the first place is because this week I found this Lorex 4K NVR with 8 cameras being sold at Costco for about $800 and it says it can detect "people and vehicle" which immediately caught my attention.
Details can be found here:
4K IP Smart NVR System with 8 Active Deterrence Security Cameras

If Lorex is selling it I was wondering if there is a Dahua equivalent out there.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing this info. I for one sure hope this can/will trickle down to firmware for the dahua's I have now. *fingers crossed*

emerb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just went back to Costco and got one... why not.
Here is what IVS looks like in the camera. I will test during this coming weekend and see how it goes.

Attachments

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bosch cameras with IVA or EVA can do that in-camera and it's got some interesting options. I did a very quick video showing setup of a basic "tripwire" that filters for human-size, human-shaped objects travelling at human speeds:

(sorry, forgot to enable mouse pointer tracking)

The one in the video is the affordable Starlight 6000 NIN-63023, with the basic Essential Video Analytics package. The combination of filtering for size, speed, and aspect ratio (plus good low-light performance) might make it a useful group-master trigger cam if a person were using Blue Iris and had BI get alerts from the camera's own video analytics.

upload_2019-6-30_13-51-53.png

Notes for those entertaining this option: assume you'll need to buy the mount separately unless you know it's included, another US$25ish. The 6000s come in 720p and 1080p (the 63023 is the 1080p variant). Not every Bosch camera has the fancy analytics package (the basic variant is called MOTION+) but all the 6000s do. Oh noes, it is a dome camera and will attract dirt, etc.

Also note that on a 6000, the camera has onboard sensors that tell it its current tilt/rotation/angle and focal length. Tell it the mounting height and it can self-calibrate the analytics, so it understands what the actual size of an object is at any point on the ground plane it's viewing; this is key for the Video Analytics to recognize what's what. The calibration is in the camera's menus under Camera > Installer Menu > Positioning, and the key piece you provide is the mounting height.

upload_2019-6-30_13-58-33.png

Not bad for a $200-$300 varifocal starlight cam :) It also has alarm inputs and you could add a PIR sensor that further limits false alarms, by only arming the video analytics when the sensor trips. For this option, you'd switch your Alarm VCA mode to Event Triggered, then tie it to your external PIR sensor as Alarm1, with your EVA rules enabled by it.

Last edited: