Actual lighting requirements for Dahua Starlight 2MP cams

Discussion in 'Camera Installation Questions' started by SecuritySeeker, Jan 14, 2019 at 7:01 AM.

Share This Page

1. SecuritySeeker

SecuritySeeker n3wb

Building of our new home is progressing nicely and I'm currently looking into what kind of streetlights I want to install on the side facade of our home (circled red):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The main area I want to illuminate is the path right next to these inbetween the house and the parking area (there'll be a metal fence separating the the path and parking space). I suppose it wouldn't hurt to also illuminate the parking area but my cameras will be trained on the path. I'm not sure if I'll install a camera to watch our car, current car is 20 years old so...

I will have mounting points for lighting (230VAC) and cameras (CAT6) in the following locations:

[​IMG]
    Cameras will probably be Dahua Starlight 2MPs. I'm wondering how many Lumens of light I should install to get the best images from these. Because this is a purely residential area I don't want to cause any irritation by installing lights that are too bright or shine too wide (the block of houses labeled 20 might be bothered by glare from the lamp). I was thinking of something like this:

30W SMD Street Lamp With Photo Cell Sensor Grey Body Natural White
    Color Temperature 4000K

Luminous flux 2400 lm (30W)
    Color Rendering Index CRI >70
    Beam angle 120 °

These come in varies varieties:
    Beam angle 100 ° or 120 °
    Color temperature 3000, 4000 or 6000K
    Lumens 2400 or 4000
    Photo Sensor yes/no

I'm not sure if all combinations are available but I was wondering if anyone could comment on the best beam angle, color temperature and amount of lumens for this application.

I'm not sure if these lights will be on their own private electrical circuit group so I might need the built-in photo sensor to have them switch on automatically at night (I realize they won't switch on exactly at the same time if they have their own sensor but that doesn't bother me).

I'm thinking (without the benefit of experience) that 3000K might be more pleasant for the neighbours and anyone passing there (including ourselves). I'm also thinking that 100° is probably wide enough. I really have no idea how many Lumens I should choose. Like I said I'm likely to install 2MP starlights and I'm guessing that those would provide a good image with the 2400lm lights, or not? Any ideas?

mat200 and BigFoot like this.
  2. mat200

mat200 IPCT Contributor

Remember to also consider getting a camera focused on where you will be parking your car, or where your guests may park.

3. SecuritySeeker

SecuritySeeker n3wb

Thanks for the comment. I've thought about it but like I said:

I'm also not yet sure if it will even be possibly physically to get a good view on where our car will be parked (our spot would be right about where the one car is parked in the red ellipse). However, the houses in block 20 and those parking places will not be built for another 2-3 years and in the mean time we'll have to park our car at a very different location out of view from our home so for now it's a moot point really.

The parking area for guests is also a bit further away and it will almost certainly be out of view from our home and propery as well plus they will have to pick a random place from the available parking spaces for guests. Apart from that it is very much illegal over here to aim private (security ) cameras on public places. We can get away with filming the yellow highlighted area because it's actually our property, even if some neighbours will have right of way and will be get filmed by our cams.

4. bigredfish

bigredfish Known around here

Two perspectives with 3400 lumen spotlights. (Both cameras as 3231E-Z CVI cams, very equivalent to the 5231 IP series)

In this one the camera stays in color mode thanks to (2) 1200 lumen coach lights, and average street lighting. See the cats trip the 3400 lumen spot. Camera is about 20-25 ft to the cats.

*Remember to switch youtube player to 1080p

This one is in B&W/IR mode. Dock is pitch black at night, cant see it from porch. Notice how the 3400 lumen spot brightens the immediate area of the dock. Dock is 33 ft from camera, which is only slightly zoomed. (added bonus see how quickly it reacts switching to color and back)

5. dark current

dark current Getting the hang of it

Even if you don't use them now, setting a few boxes and at least having pull line in place would be wise for the parking area, or a few other possible camera & light locations. It will be much easier during construction than after.

6. Whoaru99

Whoaru99 Getting the hang of it

To be somewhat technical about it, lumen is not really the number that answers the question.

Lumen is essentially just the light output of the lamp. What is really needed to answer the question definitively is the lux illumination level in/around the target area.

The lux level is harder to ascertain because it depends on the light output (lumens) and how that light is spread over a given area.

For example, just using the 2400 lumens, the lux level could be very high if the 2400 lumens is focused/controlled in a tight beam or could be very low in the case of a bare lamp with the output going all directions.

Depending on the supplier of your lighting, they may have data that gives lux levels at various mounting height/installation circumstances for the specific fixtures you're considering.

7. SecuritySeeker

SecuritySeeker n3wb

I have done what I could in that regard, having those extra conduits installed was hideously expensive.

8. SecuritySeeker

SecuritySeeker n3wb

Thank you for the vids, very illuminating :lol::embarrassed:. Since you call them spotlights I guess they have a fairly narrow beam angle. Do you happen to know the actual angle?

9. bigredfish

bigredfish Known around here

10. Whoaru99

Whoaru99 Getting the hang of it

For example of my previous post regarding lumens/lux.

Here is an example of illumination profile. This gives foot-candles but conversion to lux is roughly x11.

(edit: for clarity this is just an example I picked at random, it is not intended to represent the performance of the specific lighting mentioned in this thread.)
    Screenshot_20190117-091445_Drive.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 10:52 AM
    bigredfish likes this.
  11. SecuritySeeker

SecuritySeeker n3wb

I realize that and that's why I included the picture of how high they are mounted and why I asked for comments on both the beam angle and lumens.

I kinda knew that but your comment made me realize I could calculate the lux illumination level myself. So I did a quick Google and found this:

Lumens-Lux Calculator

I has several calculators including a Lumens to Lux calculator that takes Beam angle, Distance and Lumens as input and has Lux as the output, so if I enter something like:

Beam Angle: 100
    Distance: 5 meters
    Lumens: 2400

it returns 42.77 lux. If I look at the specs for the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE they say:

Minimum Illumination

0.006Lux/F1.6 ( Color,1/3s,30IRE)
    0.05Lux/F1.6 ( Color,1/30s,30IRE)
    0Lux/F1.6 (IR on)

So at first sight it would seem that 42.77 Lux is plenty since it can do 30fps at 0.05 Lux. However it also specifies 30IRE. I'm not sure exactly how to interpret that but if this website is correct an IRE of 100 is a perfect image whereas 30IRE basically means that the sensor's output is 30/100 of it's maximum output, ie. only the bottom 30% of the sensor response is used or to put it yet another way the dynamic range of the output is 30/100 of what it could do under better lighting conditions.

I also don't know the shape of the curve that describes the maximum sensor output with increasing lux input into the camera It might be exponential or something so it might take a lot of extra Lux to get a significantly better IRE (according to that same website an IRE of 50 would be suitable for security purposes).

I do get the impression that with 42.77 Lux the Starlight would perform stellar though, although it would be nice to know what is needed to get 30fps with 100IRE from those cams.

As for the street lighting level itself for persons passing through, this post suggests that 20 lux is "good for mixed vehicle and pedestrian traffic with separate footways" so I'm guessing that 42 Lux will be quite tolerable and sufficient for this application.

I just noticed that this Practical Guide for Outdoor Lighting suggests that "When white light is required, warm white LEDs (<3000 K),which are now available on the market, are recommended", something I was already thinking might be the most pleasant to use. Unfortunately the brand I found only seems to carry those without photo sensors.

Edit: @Whoareu99 I see our posts crossed, I was still editing mine when you posted

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 11:01 AM
  12. SecuritySeeker

SecuritySeeker n3wb

I'm wondering if I'm interpreting the minimum lux specs correctly. I've got a feeling it refers to the light directly hitting the sensor or perhaps the lens, not the amount of light hitting the scene being viewed.

13. tangent

tangent IPCT Contributor

The absolute minimum lux ratings on the cameras is worthless. At those light levels, the camera mfgs basically just decided that there's something barely discernible from the typical noise you see in the dark.

Don't Trust Lux Ratings
    MP Camera Low Light Shootout 2011