Acusense DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL (Turret Camera) - Initial Impressions

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like the latest G3 firmware for the 2CD2XX6G2 has been pulled by Hikvision. The firmware no longer appears on Hikvision's download portals.

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had the Hikvision camera's DS-2CD2385FWD-I and I changed them for the DS-2CD2386G2-U, because of the better sensor.
After installing I discovered that the DS-2CD2386G2-U has more bad quality at day than the DS-2CD2385FWD-I, even when the pictures are still.
When zooming in on a licenceplate or traffic sign for disabled persons, I noticed a flickering and also see the caracters are more hard to read of the DS-2CD2386G2-U camera.

Zooming in on the licenceplate
zoom-camera1.jpg

Zooming in on the traffic sign for disabled persons. You can see the plate-number underneith the sign is not readable for the DS-2CD2386G2-U
zoom-camera2.jpg

I found out another problem with the DS-2CD2386G2-U, because when I try to import downloaded parts of movie from that camera, I cannot import these in Photoshop Premiere Pro, with the following notice:
photoshopmelding.png

I also have the movies available to compare:

DS-2CD2385FWD-I

DS-2CD2386G2-U

I don't know if I am doing anything wrong, or that the new camera's are more bad than the old ones at day. I also don't understand, why Adobe Premiere Pro is not accepting the video's.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Compare the video settings on both camera and use the same settings. What codec they are using, bitrates, etc.

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The new ColorVu G2 with AcuSense will only be available in 2 and 4 MP. That press release is for the HDTVI models - not IP
hikvision8mp.jpg

I am pretty sure that I got an 8MP camera, because of this label on the box. Although, the camera acts more like a 4MP when I see the video.

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe what you are seeing here is the result of differing FOV caused by different image sensors in each camera, albeit both using the same lens.

The resolving power of a camera comes down to the lens selection and the image sensor size and resolution which are in fact different in your case.

For example, the 2CD2386G2 with a 4mm lens has a horizontal FOV of 87degrees whereas the 2CD2385FWD-I with the same 4mm lens has an FOV of 79 degrees although both cameras are 8MP.

The result of the 2CD2386G2's wider FOV is that there are less pixels per metre across the horizonal and vertical image than you used to have with the 2CD2385FWD-I.

If you compare two identical scenes from both the 2CD2386G2 and the 2CD2385FWD-I you will notice the 2CD2386G2 will show more of the scene than the 2CD2385FWD-I for the same lens.

When you zoom into part of the image, the result will be that the camera with the wider FOV will not be able to resolve fine details to the same extent as a camera with a narrower FOV for the same image sensor resolution.

If you look at your side by side comparison pictures you will note that to get the same size image of the signpost, the 2CD2386G2 is zoomed to 13.5X while the 2CD2385FWD-i was only zoomed by 11.8X.

This suggests that I'm right and is at the very least part the reason you are finding the 2CD2386G2 is not giving you as clear an image of distant objects when zoomed in.

I also replaced a 2CD2385FWD-I with a 2CD2386G2 both with 4mm lens but I knew at the time I would be sacrificing pixels per metre. The trade off was much better low light performance, Acusense technology and much better dynamic range than the much older G1 series 2CD2385FWD-I.

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I believe what you are seeing here is the result of differing FOV caused by different image sensors in each camera, albeit both using the same lens.

The resolving power of a camera comes down to the lens selection and the image sensor size and resolution which are in fact different in your case.

For example, the 2CD2386G2 with a 4mm lens has a horizontal FOV of 87degrees whereas the 2CD2385FWD-I with the same 4mm lens has an FOV of 79 degrees although both cameras are 8MP.

The result of the 2CD2386G2's wider FOV is that there are less pixels per metre across the horizonal and vertical image than you used to have with the 2CD2385FWD-I.

If you compare two identical scenes from both the 2CD2386G2 and the 2CD2385FWD-I you will notice the 2CD2386G2 will show more of the scene than the 2CD2385FWD-I for the same lens.

When you zoom into part of the image, the result will be that the camera with the wider FOV will not be able to resolve fine details to the same extent as a camera with a narrower FOV for the same image sensor resolution.

If you look at your side by side comparison pictures you will note that to get the same size image of the signpost, the 2CD2386G2 is zoomed to 13.5X while the 2CD2385FWD-i was only zoomed by 11.8X.

This suggests that I'm right and is at the very least part the reason you are finding the 2CD2386G2 is not giving you as clear an image of distant objects when zoomed in.

I also replaced a 2CD2385FWD-I with a 2CD2386G2 both with 4mm lens but I knew at the time I would be sacrificing pixels per metre. The trade off was much better low light performance, Acusense technology and much better dynamic range than the much older G1 series 2CD2385FWD-I.
Really an excelent explanation! Thank you very much :) Now I understand.

Do you know why I cannot import the downloaded files of the G2 into Adobo Premiere Pro?

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Really an excelent explanation! Thank you very much :) Now I understand.

Do you know why I cannot import the downloaded files of the G2 into Adobo Premiere Pro?
Your welcome. Unfortunately I can't give you any advice on why you cant' import video into Adobe Premiere.