Add remote camera over wireless

ZookZA

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a mostly networking issue I’d love some help with. Part of what I’d like to do is clarify my terminology, so don’t feel bad for correcting it!

We have a multi-home complex of 4 houses and would like to add a camera from a central point visible to all houses, each on their own network. Assume each house has an NVR or DVR connected to their own home router.

I figure I can create a separate network that the cameras hang off, and then bridge that into each network so the cameras are visible on the home networks. Like so:

90D961A5-9697-4944-BD6E-861F25613333.jpeg

I’m not sure what I need to consider, but some of my assumptions/questions are:
  • Is that topography vaguely right or should I e.g. plug the ‘bridge/router’ directly into the DVR/NVR?
  • I assume the cameras and ‘camera router’ need to be on their own network.
  • I suspect the ’bridge/router’ could be part of the camera network. This way, each home would have a device that is on the camera network
  • I should be able to just link the ‘bridge/router’ to the home router, but I’m not sure what settings I’d need on the latter to see cameras on the remote network
  • I assume the DVR/NVR’s can record remote IP cameras that are not plugged into them

Is this workable? What things do I need to check and set for each component, roughly? Fibre would be better than wireless for reliability but getting those links installed will be pricier and trickier but I’d consider it if it was going to reduce ongoing annoyance.

Thank you!
Richard

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The wifi traffic load will kill this before you every get started. Each camera will have 4 streams going to 4 different NVRs continuously via wifi. This more than likely will saturate your wifi network for just one camera. It will also kill the wifi in one or more of the houses depending on the wifi channel used.

Suggestion, set up a dedicated network for the NVR and cameras. Completely separate from the 4 different home networks. Give this network internet access. If more than 2 cameras you will need to hardwire the cameras. Set up the camera network with a router that supports OpenVPN. This will allow for the 4 homes to have secure access to the camera network.

Wifi is not for surveillance and security, it can be jammed.

ZookZA

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, SouthernYankee.

Some more info:
  • The houses have their own cameras and DVR's [1] already, hooked up to their own networks. I want to add a shared camera overlooking the entrance. I'd like to reuse the screens / recorders they already have, but that's just a preference.
  • Budget for monthly costs will be limited and internet is quite pricy here, so I won't be able to add a connection just for the shared camera.
  • There's a lot of lightning in this area and I want to prevent one strike from taking everyone out, so the only bridging options I see are fibre or wireless.
  • I'd prefer fibre, but haven't quite figured out how to get all the houses hooked up. Daisy-chain media converters, star with lots of lines, etc. Which devices. All that just for one camera.
  • I assumed wireless could be something other than wifi, like a Ubiquiti connection of some kind. Jamming might become a reality at some point in the future, but the approach used last week was a crowbar. When the crooks start jamming wifi, I'll be looking for a %$*# work visa before buying another camera.
  • There are two entrances; one for three houses and another for four. So whatever we do would probably need to be duplicated. That doesn't affect the technical complexity but it does affect the preference for simplicity and reduced cost.
[1] Two houses have TVT DVR's that can accept an IP camera. I'll add an NVR to my own place.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have no knowledge of Ubiquiti. So i can not be much help there. I do not know if there is a low bandwidth method of sharing a single camera stream.

You have an interesting problem. I can not be of much help.

ZookZA

n3wb
Reaction score
No problem, thanks anyway. If I solve it I'll post here.

Here's something on daisy chaining media converters:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
One of the problems you'd face with Ubuiquity, and I'm a big Ubquity fan, is that they're pretty directional. They would work very well for point to point, camera to one house, but unless those houses are pretty close to each other, dependent on distance from the camera location to allow for beam spread, it might be hard to get more than one to receive it. Actually, I'm not all that sure that one would support additional receivers when configured as a data link. You could relay using additional Ubiquity gear to each house, but that may get a little pricey. From the sound of it, a Nano Station Loco M5 would work to get the signal to one house, anyway. The big advantage being no overhead fiber or having to trench and bury conduit. Sort of a trade off.

ZookZA

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, Sebastian. Yup would need something that isn't point to point and has a wide enough beam. i've seen some at 45 degrees, some at (IIRC) 120. The latter would work.

TP-Link has an encouraging picture here, with a base station and multiple directional CPE's:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
One of the problems you'd face with Ubuiquity, and I'm a big Ubquity fan, is that they're pretty directional. They would work very well for point to point, camera to one house, but unless those houses are pretty close to each other, dependent on distance from the camera location to allow for beam spread, it might be hard to get more than one to receive it. Actually, I'm not all that sure that one would support additional receivers when configured as a data link. You could relay using additional Ubiquity gear to each house, but that may get a little pricey. From the sound of it, a Nano Station Loco M5 would work to get the signal to one house, anyway. The big advantage being no overhead fiber or having to trench and bury conduit. Sort of a trade off.
Ubiquity also has radios that use external antennas.

You can get all sorts of antennas for them, from omni (360 degrees) down to vary narrow dishes (<1 degree).
I would just use a simple omni antenna at each place, since you are so close, there would be no problem getting a good signal.

Fiber is always a good way to go, probably more reliable in the long run. Just harder at first.