Add remote camera to local NVR

eXtremer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a NVR (DS-7104N-SN/P) at home with 2 connected IP cameras (DS-2CD2032F-I) all devices are on the same LAN, everything works flawlessly, cameras are recording on my NVR. Now I want to connect another camera which is outside my LAN, I'm trying to add the remote camera but without luck. The port-forwarding rule is set correctly, I managed to add the camera to the iVMS-4200 software other WAN, my question is why I cannot connect the camera to my NVR? Hikvision allows adding remote camera or only the ones that are connect locally? Thank you.

http://i.imgur.com/RKNcpGB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/u5E99wl.jpg

I can successfully connect the remote camera to the iVMS-4200:

http://i.imgur.com/yfevLCJ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
can you setup a point to point vpn bridge? it'll make the remote cam appear local and will secure the feeds as they transit the internet.

eXtremer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can you setup a point to point vpn bridge? it'll make the remote cam appear local and will secure the feeds as they transit the internet.
Unfortunately not, at home I have an old DSL modem that doesn't have any VPN options.

eXtremer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe try Port 80 on the NVR instead of 8000?
Why? It should work with 8000, port 80 is already used at work for other purpose.

I just need a confirmation from smb, has anyone connected a remote camera to local NVR? Is it possible? The camera will record on the NVR (HDD) ?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There a quite a few reasons not to do what your trying to do, mostly clogging up your network with traffic from and external sources as well as security.

But it is easy to do.
The best way to start is to setup your camera with hik-online so your dns stays tracked by your nvr (not needed if you have a static ip).
Then on you nvr add your hikonline info when you add the camera.
It will be slow to connect and laggy but works.

Also remember to forward the ports at the camera end.

eXtremer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There a quite a few reasons not to do what your trying to do, mostly clogging up your network with traffic from and external sources as well as security.

But it is easy to do.
The best way to start is to setup your camera with hik-online so your dns stays tracked by your nvr (not needed if you have a static ip).
Then on you nvr add your hikonline info when you add the camera.
It will be slow to connect and laggy but works.

Also remember to forward the ports at the camera end.
Thank you for you post.

I have static IP and can you explain what's the difference between using my static IP and the hostname given by hik-online? I really don't think it will change anything but I will give it a try although I never used hik-online services. And by the way I have 100Mbps at both ends so no lags should appear.

eXtremer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could you tell me please what to type in the "Device Domain" field?

mnQpDFd.jpg

Reaction score
Hi!
Thanks for this idea you gave.
But do you know that this is exactly what am going through right now.
I just finished a point to point vpn bridge network.
Every other access worked, ie pinging each or any device is working very well, even i can use my computer to view the cameras.

But the challenging problem now is that my nvr(Hikvision Nvr) is not seeing any of the cameras.
What do you think could be the problem?

Giorgio321

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem : Hikvision remote camera (using a DNS and service port) works with iVMS 4200 PC application or 4500 Android application but not with a Hikvision NVR (with the same configuration). I don't know if we can access to logs or change a timeout or others settings.
Support has been contacted...

Last edited:

WynandJVR

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I ma struggling with the same thing at the moment. I have set up port forwarding and can access the IP camera via hikvision software on the phone. But I am unable to add the camera to an NVR. The idea is to spread IP cams throughout our neighborhood and have them all record on one NVR. Most of the people are on fibre so throughput shouldn't be a hassle. I don't understand why it can be added via local ip but not through external ip or dyndns name.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a NVR (DS-7104N-SN/P) at home with 2 connected IP cameras (DS-2CD2032F-I) all devices are on the same LAN, everything works flawlessly, cameras are recording on my NVR. Now I want to connect another camera which is outside my LAN, I'm trying to add the remote camera but without luck. The port-forwarding rule is set correctly, I managed to add the camera to the iVMS-4200 software other WAN, my question is why I cannot connect the camera to my NVR? Hikvision allows adding remote camera or only the ones that are connect locally? Thank you.

I can successfully connect the remote camera to the iVMS-4200:

I know this is an old post. For reference purposes for other readers, the ds-7104n-sn/p NVR is only capable of accepting 2MP cameras. The DS-2CD2032F-I is a 3MP camera. You must go into the camera settings and change the resolution to 1080p 2MP for it to work on this NVR.