Added new HikVision cameras to old NVR, now they don't work on the new one?

drunkntigr

n3wb
Reaction score
Have an old NVR DS 7608 and added new Hikvision cameras to it, then tried to add the new cameras to the new NVR DS7616 and now they won't work?

I recall I might have actually added them to the new NVR first, it asked me to setup some passwords but I thought they would have been for the NVR and not the cameras, does the NVR apply it to the cameras too? I know the admin and password but the new cameras don't seem to want to connect to the new NVR anymore?

I've googled it and there seems to be some new association thing with the camera system?

avoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think there are two ways:
1 way - connect the cameras to NVR, over RTSP protocol / unstable and many shameful to connect Hikvision camera to Hikvision NVR/
2 way - update firmware NVR.

drunkntigr

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually just fixed. Just reset the entire NVR back to factory default and all cameras seem to work fine now. There was a password facility when I setup the nvr in the wizard to set a password for the cameras which i find odd.

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually just fixed. Just reset the entire NVR back to factory default and all cameras seem to work fine now. There was a password facility when I setup the nvr in the wizard to set a password for the cameras which i find odd.
That is normal. If you setup nvr with new cameras it applies nvr default password.

Did you buy them on aliexpress? I always recommend factory resetting those cameras since they sometimes come preprogrammed with the shady vendors hikconnect account

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There was a password facility when I setup the nvr in the wizard to set a password for the cameras which i find odd.
This is for use with Plug&Play mode so that the NVR password is not used for the cameras and can be kept separate for improved security.
When you export the NVR camera settings, the camera passwords are listed in plain form.