added SSD to BI server - won't boot from it with old OS disk removed

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I know this isn't specifically a BI issue, but not sure where else to ask.
Please point me elsewhere, as needed.

I managed to get the Windows 10 OS copied onto an SSD and can boot from it by picking the second 'Windows Boot Manager' in the screen accessed with F12 at boot time (Dell Optiplex, UEFI w/ secure boot disabled, GPT partitions)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/49201507@N00/1C8ms5

https://flic.kr/p/25hWHWq

So it boots from the new SSD and seems to run fine, BUT when I remove the original OS drive, it fails to find the OS on the new SSD and I get a blue screen to 'repair your PC'.

How do I go about making the new SSD drive bootable without keeping the original drive?

thanx, Paul.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know this isn't specifically a BI issue, but not sure where else to ask.
Please point me elsewhere, as needed.

I managed to get the Windows 10 OS copied onto an SSD and can boot from it by picking the second 'Windows Boot Manager' in the screen accessed with F12 at boot time (Dell Optiplex, UEFI w/ secure boot disabled, GPT partitions)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/49201507@N00/1C8ms5

Capture

So it boots from the new SSD and seems to run fine, BUT when I remove the original OS drive, it fails to find the OS on the new SSD and I get a blue screen to 'repair your PC'.

How do I go about making the new SSD drive bootable without keeping the original drive?

thanx, Paul.
Remove the old Drive then install Windows again on the SSD using the Microsoft media creation tool.... Connect the old Drive delete boot partitions...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
ok, tried that and all is Fubar'd. the re-install wiped out everything i had successfully cloned from the original drive to the SSD, so that was not helpful.

I've got it booting back on the original drive now and will have to start all over again. sigh...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok, tried that and all is Fubar'd. the re-install wiped out everything i had successfully cloned from the original drive to the SSD, so that was not helpful.

I've got it booting back on the original drive now and will have to start all over again. sigh...
of course the reinstall wiped everything, why would you think otherwise?
Its a good thing, non of the crap from the old install.

It takes exactly 10 minuets to perform a clean windows install on an machine with an ssd. And another 4 minuets to reinstall blue iris and import your settings.

most likely you failed to clone the system partition from the HDD that is why it was failing to boot without it.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
it's nice this stuff is so easy for you. i now have a dead system that wont boot anything. i'm willing to start over from scratch, but the media installer usb fob says it can't install onto my GPT-formatted disks? wtf... when you make an install image from the windows creator tool, it does'nt ask if you're targetting MBR or GPT, but when you go to use it, it sure cares... in the meantime, my surveillance system is down. don't tell the bad guys...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it's nice this stuff is so easy for you. i now have a dead system that wont boot anything. i'm willing to start over from scratch, but the media installer usb fob says it can't install onto my GPT-formatted disks? wtf... when you make an install image from the windows creator tool, it does'nt ask if you're targetting MBR or GPT, but when you go to use it, it sure cares... in the meantime, my surveillance system is down. don't tell the bad guys...
Good rule of thumb, if you don't understand what you're about to do, don't do it until you do understand.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Awww, that sucks for you. Is your Google down too? A quick search would solve your problem. Otherwise hire your neighbors 13yo, they will have you up and running in a jiffy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't understand what you are trying to say..
Simple, if you don't know what a reinstall does to your current data, you should not be doing it. Also plug the SSD in SATA Port 0 or the first port.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not that it matters now, but your original issue could be that your SSD (drive C ) was not initially configured as a 'Primary Partition', according to the image you furnished, below.

And according to Wikipedia: "....A primary partition contains one file system. In DOS and all early versions of Microsoft Windows systems, Microsoft required what it called the system partition to be the first partition. All Windows operating systems from Windows 95 onwards can be located on (almost) any partition, but the boot files (io.sys, bootmgr, ntldr, etc.) must reside on a primary partition.

SSD_2.jpg

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
moving on. should have known better than to ask for that kind of help here...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From your signature:

"The more I learn, the less I know" Silas 2017

That was last year. Do you still feel that way?

Last edited:

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hell Yeah, I trained as a craftsman, but got into 'IT' over 35 years ago, I've worked for IBM, worked with the likes of Dell, HP and even Microsoft, done both corporate and private, worked for the man and for myself, and the sheer diversity of technology that is available today to nearly everyone coupled with the ability to get high level information on hand held devices still amazes me. And each time I figure out how something interacts, I see that there is a whole world of unknown that comes with that. so yeah

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Understood.

I feel that I have learned a lot over the years but I have never felt "...like I have arrived", in that I've always felt like there's more to learn and I sure as heck don't know everything, for sure. I am reminded daily. :cool:

"We are all dying, beginning from the day of our birth but once a person stops learning, they cease growing." TonyR 2018

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Funny, the older I get, I find out I don't know more than I thought I didn't know. How's that work?