Adding a NetHDD for Hikvision Cameras

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've read some older posts about there being a cap on the size of hard drive that can be added and I've read some other posts with people having multiTB drives.

I have a Hikvision LPR and I have a 200Gb micro SD card in it. With as much traffic that goes by, it only holds info for a couple days, so I decided to add a HDD storage location. I first started with an 8TB drive and the camera wouldn't recognize it. It was able to add the NAS location, but it came up as 0GB. So, I took that out and put in a 1TB drive.

Formatted.jpg

The status will stay normal and then go to Uninitiated after a few minutes.

Uninitiated.jpg

Is there a size limit and if so, is there a way around it?

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Without knowing more (model number, firmware revision etc.) its impossible to say.

I have a 16TB drive at the moment carved up into 1 and 2TB segments which I have mounted on my cameras without issue.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Its been working for me for a long, long time. Even with my 4MP cameras which I've had for several years.

If it doesn't work for you, then I would suspect your NAS.

A stock Linux system works best IMO rather than vendor-specific solutions.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Its been working for me for a long, long time. Even with my 4MP cameras which I've had for several years.

If it doesn't work for you, then I would suspect your NAS.

A stock Linux system works best IMO rather than vendor-specific solutions.
Cool. I was using FreeNAS on an old J1900 machine that I was running pfSense. Interesting that you used SMB vs NFS with Linux.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The way I explored this a while back was by changing the volume size and seeing what happened, both for NFS and SMB/CIFS.
Where the server could apply a user quota on an SMB/CIFS share that worked OK.
But it's a bit of a grey area, the results for which vary with the camera firmware version.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Years ago I had problems getting nfs to work. There's probably still some of my old posts in the NFS/SMB thread. Probably had to do w/ quotas etc.

What I ended up doing, as illustrated above, was using fallocate to create a disk image file which I mounted via the loop interface and then exported. This way the disk looks to be the exact size its allocated as.

May work with NFS as well, I didn't go back to try.

Alastair is right though, its hit or miss, although I think the newer versions of the kernels pretty much support 2TB volumes. Larger than that, maybe not., I haven't tried on my own system.