Adding Amcrest cam causes system to crawl

Geewiz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Greetings:

I’m having a frustrating challenge with a camera I’m trying to add to my system. My current setup is:

2 – Hikvision POE cameras
1 - IPCC-B13N-W wireless cam
1- Foscam F18918W

These are running on a dedicated Core2 Quad Q9300 2.5 GHz with 6 GB ram. With these four cameras, the CPU load is typically in the +/- 50% range.

The network router is a Asus RT-AC68U gigabit switch with internet access through a Motorola SURFboard SB6121 Gigabit cable modem. I typically enjoy +75Mbps download and +20Mbps up.

The challenge…

I purchased a Qcam/Amcrest IP3952E POE bullet cam. I can easily connect to the camera using Qcam smart client, ONVIF Device Manager, The Qcam viewer app for Android, and IE Explorer.

When I connect with BI, the system bogs down tremendously with CPU usage jumping up to 95% or more. I’ve adjusted the resolution down to 720p, and am only pushing 15 FPS on all cameras. I have all cams set for direct to drive recording and can’t figure out what’s going on.

I purchased this cam for its price because its intended purpose was to be used as a Weather Underground video feed for my weather station. Now I’m having my doubts and am hoping that someone may have some firsthand experience with these cameras.

Thank you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Geewiz, Does the cpu spike if you disable 1 of the hikvision cameras? Your pc is very underpowered and also a power hog. You are likely paying more in electric costs to keep that system running than if you purchased a more modern i5-ivy bridge/haswell/skylake system for 150-300 dollars...

Geewiz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am planning on upgrading the system some time in 2017, either to an I7 or a dedicated NVR, but for the time being I'm just trying to get this Amcrest cam working.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am planning on upgrading the system some time in 2017, either to an I7 or a dedicated NVR, but for the time being I'm just trying to get this Amcrest cam working.

Thanks!
put that system on a killawatt meter, its likely drawing close to 200w...thats insane..you will pay more than the cost of a new system in electricity costs before this time in 2017...