Adding camera to rear

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Currently have 2MP Starlights in other locations - zoom over driveway and 3.6mm on both sides. While one is inside a screen patio, the other two actually turned the IR off and eliminated the moths false alarms. Both exterior are supplemented with solar powered motion detection floods so don't really need the IR anyway - driveway receives good streetlight supplement but that side is desolate dark before the flood kicks on.

Adding to the rear and debating on moving up to 4MP if maintaining IR off as the two sliding glass doors both have motion senor wall lights (electric powered). Ideally would be two camera along the 60' length crisscrossing view, but currently have wiring for one, and while wiring is not difficult, placement of the second camera and the over exposure by the wall light would be difficult if placed on the far corner and moving over the light to be at the door would eliminate a view of the kitchen window. Where currently wired, mounting over/slightly in front of the wall light and would not blow out the video exposure. This would give me an exposure of the one sliding glass door immediately in front, but the other is about 25' down the wall. Rear will have a street light to supplement as I am on a corner lot and no rear fence along streetside which is the direction the currently wired camera position would point. The crisscross would look back towards neighbor's fence and that very dark side.

With IR not being an issue since it will be off, should I get another 2MP Starlight, probably 3.6mm as 6mm may be to tight for near focus? A 2MP zoom to micro-adjust the coverage? A 4MP (or 8MP) for enhanced detail viewing at the 25' distance. Twin setup with 2MP but aiming one out towards the yard rather than down the wall to avoid the blownout exposure when the wall lamp kicks on?

Last edited:

Guido87

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Currently have 2MP Starlights in other locations - zoom over driveway and 3.6mm on both sides. While one is inside a screen patio, the other two actually turned the IR off and eliminated the moths false alarms. Both exterior are supplemented with solar powered motion detection floods so don't really need the IR anyway - driveway receives good streetlight supplement but that side is desolate dark before the flood kicks on.

Adding to the rear and debating on moving up to 4MP if maintaining IR off as the two sliding glass doors both have motion senor wall lights (electric powered). Ideally would be two camera along the 60' length crisscrossing view, but currently have wiring for one, and while wiring is not difficult, placement of the second camera and the over exposure by the wall light would be difficult if placed on the far corner and moving over the light to be at the door would eliminate a view of the kitchen window. Where currently wired, mounting over/slightly in front of the wall light and would not blow out the video exposure. This would give me an exposure of the one sliding glass door immediately in front, but the other is about 25' down the wall. Rear will have a street light to supplement as I am on a corner lot and no rear fence along streetside which is the direction the currently wired camera position would point. The crisscross would look back towards neighbor's fence and that very dark side.

With IR not being an issue since it will be off, should I get another 2MP Starlight, probably 3.6mm as 6mm may be to tight for near focus? A 2MP zoom to micro-adjust the coverage? A 4MP (or 8MP) for enhanced detail viewing at the 25' distance. Twin setup with 2MP but aiming one out towards the yard rather than down the wall to avoid the blownout exposure when the wall lamp kicks on?
If you don't choose the 2mp starlight, then a would choose the 8mp. The 4mp is worse. You can then better use the 8mp at 2560 x 1440 (3.69mp). With forst colormode at night, that resolution gives less noise then at 4k. Als 8mp gives 15fps, with wdr on 14fps. At 2560 you have 25fps and with wdr on 20fps.

I think the 8mp 15fps gives more blurrr then the 3.69mp at 25fps. But in 8mp with floodlights I can read license plate of my car at 25 meters at night. With the lower resolution it's difficult. I think with the 2mp starlight I can not read it... But I don't have one too test.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
25m at night in color reading your plate?...How bright are those flood lights?
My 2MP starlight I can read my plate about 30' in daylight.

Guido87

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
25m at night in color reading your plate?...How bright are those flood lights?
My 2MP starlight I can read my plate about 30' in daylight.
It's looking from my garage over my driveway. Garage floodlight is 20w led, driveway is lighted from my house with 10w led, at 5m high and 18m from the cam.

You can't read the plate at night with color modus?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not past maybe 20-30 ft. Just guessing the distance. I have down lighting around the house though, no outward flood lighting.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's looking from my garage over my driveway. Garage floodlight is 20w led, driveway is lighted from my house with 10w led, at 5m high and 18m from the cam.

You can't read the plate at night with color modus?
Sorry but there is no way you are reading a plate at 25m with a 4k camera unless you are using a long lens with lots off zoom...

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry but there is no way you are reading a plate at 25m with a 4k camera unless you are using a long lens with lots off zoom...
I noticed that to. I think he meant 25ft, not 25m (approx. 82ft).