Adding IP cameras to HikVision NVR DS-7616NI-E2/8P/A

domelsnake

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Was wondering if someone can help at all.

I'm new to HikVision NVR and have some troubles adding new cameras to it.

HikVision DS-7616NI-E2/8P/A, and HikVsion IP camera DS-2CD2042WD-I.

I have internal network of 10.20.30.X/24.

IP camera has been given static IP of 10.20.30.11

LAN interface of NVR has been connected to my router and allocated an IP of 10.20.30.6 by DHCP - NVR accessible via web browser - no problems here.

NVR has 8 PoE interfaces with pre-configured IP addresses from 192.168.254.2 to 192.168.254.9

Ip camera connected to the same router as NVR and assigned a static IP address of 10.20.30.11 - camera accessible via web browser port 8081 (server port configured to 8001) - all works fine here.

I can use iVMS4500 on my iPhone successfully for live view - what I'm trying to say here is the port is correct as well as username and password.

The problem is when trying to add cameras to my NVR:

I have tried to move my camera from the router to one of the PoE interfaces of the NVR (interface1) and reconfigured IP address assigned to it from 192.168.254.2 to 10.20.30.11 but no luck - Offline (Network Abnormal).

IP of the camera isn't pingable at all.

I have connected the camera back to the router (camera accessible, ip pingable) and have tried to add a new camera with correct IP address of (10.20.30.11), management port 8001, username: admin, passowrd: ****** but no luck here either - new interface D09 creaaed - Offline (Network Abnormal).

What am I missing here?

How are those 8x PoE interfaces configured as it look like this is not just a built-in PoE switch but something more - router perhaps?

Ok so I have found this Video which explained a little bit:

So I have logged in to my camera via web browser and changed the IP of it to 192.168.254.2; mask 255.255.255.0; gateway: 192.168.254.1 - this is what is setup for the internal NVR switch.

Camera has been rebooted and I have moved it to the 1st interface of my NVR where 192.168.254.2 is assigned.

It looks the camera has been picked up but when I clicked on yellow triangle (via VGA connection to NVR) "Stream type is not supported" message appears.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
camera accessible via web browser port 8081 (server port configured to 8001)
If you haven't customised the camera ports, and the NVR PoE port is set to 'Plug&Play' the camera will be automatically recognised and automatically configured by the NVR firmware.
The NVR PoE ports by default operate on their own isolated network segment, in the address range 192.168.254.2 and up. The PoE network interface is on 192.168.254.1 by default.
You can do the whole manual route with PoE connected cameras and customised ports - but you will need to manually configure all the PoE port settings to match what has been manually set on the cameras.
But for the PoE ports, there is no value in customising the camera port settings as by default they are not accessible from the LAN, except via the 'Virtual host', the workings of which may be embarrassed by custom camera ports.

"Stream type is not supported"
What firmware version is in use on the NVR?
You are connecting the new-release 2042WD cameras with updated encoding, which require I think 3.3.4 as far as I recall, others will confirm.
What encoding was selected via the camera web GUI?

domelsnake

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello there,

Thanks for your reply.

Camera encoding is H.264+.

Firmware of NVR V3.0.10 build 141126.

I can see there is an upgrade available to version 3.0.13 on HikVision website:

Baseline Firmware_NVR (DS-7616NI-SN)_En_STD_V3.0.13build150420(new)

I have change encoding from H.264+ to H.264 and the camera turn to online now but the only resolution supported is 1MP. When I change it to 2MP or 4MP on the camera, it will change it automatically to 1MP as soon as I do live view from NVR...
Is that mean this is not supported yet by my NVR?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That is not the correct firmware for the NVR as per the thread title.

Check out the choices here:
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product%20Firmware/Recorder/DS-7600NI-E1%28E2%29%207700NI-E4/
Somewhere - I'm not sure where - there is a changelog for the NVR firmware that specifies what firmware version is required for the 2042WD camera.

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The problem is that you set up same subnet on both interfaces of NVR (POE and LAN). It wont work.

wheelz

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to have the same password for the nvr and cams, then click plug & play and should all happen automatically. Had same trouble myself till I gave everything the same password.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is that you set up same subnet on both interfaces of NVR (POE and LAN). It wont work.
No - he did not mention altering the NVR PoE interface address, it was left at defaults, quite different from the 10. addresses of the LAN.
He did mention fixing the IP address of the camera to a LAN address and plugging it into the PoE port and it did not work.
Normally it would - using Plug&Play on the PoE port - but not when the HTTP and media ports on the camera have been customised to values not used or recognised by the NVR.

Reactions: NVR

domelsnake

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello guys.

I have updated the firmware version to 3.3.4 and all works perfectly fine.

NVR has picked up all the cameras and I'm very pleased how it works.

The only issue which I have now is that both cameras are flashing - anyone know if there is a fix for this?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a very recent thread on this indicating that LTS have some updated firmware (from Hikvision presumably) that provides a fix - and could be used on Hikvision cameras, and that Hikvision are about to release a fix for the non-OEM products soon.
Sorry, I don't have a link to it, but I'm sure you will find it.

*edit* This was the thread I was thinking of: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/6416-Found-Firmware-that-fixes-Hikvision-4MP-WDR-Performance-DS-2x42-IP-WDR
Though it was more about the WDR than the flashing problem. But there is also an update for the flashing problem.

domelsnake

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great help mate.

Thanks a lot.

One more question to ask for now.

If all my cameras are connected directly to the PoE interfaces of my NVR how do I perform a firmware update if I can't access the cameras from my PC which is in a different network?

zarek

n3wb
Reaction score
There is an update function in the NVRR - you use a USB stick with a FAT artition.