Adding New Camera - Not As Easy As I Thought

Avalonthas

n3wb
Reaction score
I wanted to test the waters in CCTV by adding ONE new camera to an existing NVR before going deeper with more cameras and NVR's. Being a "plug and play" NVR I quite literally thought it would be that easy, but seems to be far from it. I have made some attempts, and tried to find a solution to my issue online but having troubles identifying the true issue in order to find the relevant solution. Hoping some expertise will help me trouble shoot and narrow down things.

Background:
My building is one of 4 joined by a common space and shares many things, in this case it appears to share the same originating ISP & Router that supports all of the various systems including CCTV amongst these buildings, as installed by the original builder. In this chart below, all switches are unmanaged and non-POE to my knowledge, it certainly is in my "Building 3" the case.

What I am trying to do
In the building I have direct control over of (Building 3), I have two NVR units. All NVR and CCTV equipment is Hikvision.
  • NVR2: DS-7716NI-I4/16P [currently filled with 16 cameras]
  • NVR1: DS-7716NI-SP/16 [currently with 10 ports filled, but 13 cameras as 4 cameras from elevators go to NVR on single ethernet cable]. This is the unit I want to install a new camera on
I have purchased a new Hikvision camera (DS-2CD2135FWD-I) from a local official hikvision dealer. Unfortunately when i plug in the camera to the NVR POE port, I can't get it to work and IVMS does not see it, but i can see it on SADP. Not sure where to go from here.

Where I am at so far with corresponding attachments

Step 01: Picture 1 & "SADP Export NVR1 Excel Document"
I do the camera reset button procedure on the new camera (DS-2CD2135FWD-I) to ensure I am starting from scratch, and I have both the new camera and my laptop plugged directly into empty POE ports on the NVR1 (DS-7716NI-SP/16 --- IP: 10.10.93.253). I go to SADP on my laptop and I see 15 devices total; the NVR, the new camera, and the 13 old cameras. My new camera shows inactive and the default ip address as expected as highlighted in yellow on the excel export document.

Step 02: Picture 2
I go to the IVMS software to activate and add to the client, however I do not see the new camera listed. All I can see if 32 other devices (which are being detected from the other buildings connected on the same network as noted in the opening overview graphic. But my new camera is not present

Step 03: Picture 3 & 4
I go to activate my new camera via SADP to see if this helps, however when I type an activation password I get the following error "ERROR 2015: OTHERS". I try several times and continue to get the error

Step 04: "SADP Export Building3 Switch Excel"

So I take my laptop connection out of the NVR1 and plug it into the Building 3 Switch just to see what happens and what I see. I run SADP and I can see the 32 Devices listed in Step 02 above. So what I see in IVMS I can see from SADP when connected on the main unmanaged switch.

Step 05: Picture 5
I go back to plugging my laptop directly into the NVR1 empty POE Port and re-run SADP and I see the 15 devices on the NVR1 again, however I noticed my new camera is now activated on its own. I try to turn the camera to DHCP option just to try changing something, enter the password I originally tried in Step 03 which is the same password as my IVMS software and NVR's and I get an error.

I plugged the new camera and my laptop into a random POE switch connected to the Building3 Main Switch, and I can still see my camera, and the password works fine in SADP. But when I move the new camera back to the NVR1 and enter the password in SADP, I get errors again.

Conclusions
So I am at a loss for what to do :)
I am sure it has something to do with IP settings, but I am not strong on that front. Any thoughts or am I failing to describe the issue well enough

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to test the waters in CCTV by adding ONE new camera to an existing NVR before going deeper with more cameras and NVR's. Being a "plug and play" NVR I quite literally thought it would be that easy, but seems to be far from it....4

I have purchased a new Hikvision camera (DS-2CD2135FWD-I) from a local official hikvision dealer. Unfortunately when i plug in the camera to the NVR POE port, I can't get it to work and IVMS does not see it, but i can see it on SADP. Not sure where to go from here.

Hi and welcome @Avalonthas -

Due to numerous cybersecurity issues / cyber attacks - Hikvision and others have had to change some of their default user/password pairs...

SO check on that, the new camera you have maybe using a newer user/password - or requiring you to set one for it.

Avalonthas

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi and welcome @Avalonthas -

Due to numerous cybersecurity issues / cyber attacks - Hikvision and others have had to change some of their default user/password pairs...

SO check on that, the new camera you have maybe using a newer user/password - or requiring you to set one for it.
I was reading some posts and articles on this, makes sense. Looks like the old days of 12345, etc were replaced with activation process. When I plug the camera into a POE switch on its own then I can activate it in SADP and it takes me through the entire new activation process: setting a password > then recovery questions/answers.

When I plug it into the NVR POE port, it auto-activates (does not require me to enter a password, or questions) after a few minutes and adopts the NVR's password (which is fine as I want NVR and Cams to have the same credentials). I can see the camera in SADP (but not IVMS) but I cannot change any settings as it gives me Error #2015.

If I plug the camera into a POE switch, connected to the same non-POE switch my two NVR are attached to, I can edit its settings in SADP without issue using that adopted NVR password that auto populated. But IVMS still does not see it.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is on a different subnet. Change ip address in SADP to put it on the 10.10.90.xxx. May have to experiment or find the ip addresses of all devices on that network but looks like 10.10.90.37 would work.

Avalonthas

n3wb
Reaction score
It is on a different subnet. Change ip address in SADP to put it on the 10.10.90.xxx. May have to experiment or find the ip addresses of all devices on that network but looks like 10.10.90.37 would work.
Thanks Noloc, I will try this and report back. In taking a quick peek at the IVMS, there was 3 channels without a feed but the IVMS had IP numbers assigned to them (10.10.90.36, 10.10.90.37, 10.10.90.39......I will try the .36 first as I believe that is port 10 on the NVR which is where the new camera has been getting connected to. But I will try all three and see what happens. Fingers crossed!

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, Also might as well match the gateway to the other cams at 10.10.90.1

I don't know anything about IVMS but I would assume you want an unassigned ip address. So if .37 is used, try something else.

Avalonthas

n3wb
Reaction score
I made a go at this again. I connected the camera to a POE Switch to the side, and changed the IP address to 10.10.10.36 (also tried .37) as well as changing the Gateway to 10.10.90.1

It updated the camera successfully. Then I plugged it into Port10 of the NVR which should be aligned with the 10.10.10.36 IP address. I plugged my laptop into Port11 and I can see the new camera in SADP with the properly assigned .36 IP and .1 Gateway. But when I go to ivms the camera does not show in device management. When I go into the configuration of the NVR, it can see a camera in the IPCamera10 slot per picture, but it says incorrect user name or password. I try to change it in ivms to what the camera password was and nothing happens.

Oddly enough when the camera is plugged into the NVR as well as my laptop, I cannot modify any of its settings, it gives me an error "Error 2015: Others". I have plug the camera into a seperate POE switch and then I can edit the camera with its proper password just fine.

Any ideas on where or what to do next?

Attachments