Adding Pan/Tilt Device to Hik 2032

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In my setup I currently have 2 PT mounts (about to add a 3rd), I did not have to set each mounts ID they are all #1 (default),
The reason being that each individual cam communicates to the PT mount not the NVR. When using the PTZ controls through the NVR it communicates to the cam which then
Communicates to the PT mount.

When I used these PT mounts with my analog system connected straight to the DVR I had to set each mount with a different ID because the DVR was communicating with
Multiple mounts.

With my current NVR (7816N-E2) I am able to set Preset, ID and speed, through the PTZ menu, under "preset" type in the code and select "set" the command is sent
to the cam which passes it to the PT mount.

I am sure a PTZ keyboard would let you send all commands to the mount, I have not tried it but it should work.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so these motorized mounts are strong enough no worries to move that camera setup you have up there stuffed with everything without straining it? looks pretty small motor, just wondering if it will last very long with a lot of use with that weight on it??

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Total weight of the cam and housing is probably around 3-4 pounds; I try and mount it in the center of the housing to keep the weight even.

Been running the pan only version for about a year and a half and no issues, it is mounted outside under the roof overhang so it is pretty well protected.

As I mentioned before they are not heavy duty so some care needs to be taken when handling and mounting.
That cam should work as it has RS485, only problem is I asked that seller about that cam and it only comes with Chinese firmware.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just a follow up. I'm still very interested in adding a pan/tilt device to my Hikvision cam that will be controlled remotely over the internet.

I've found relatively cheap electronic pan/tilt devices that use RS-485. I've also found this RS-485 to USB adapter:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-USB-to-RS485-485-Converter-Adapter-Support-Win7-XP-Vista-Linux-Mac-OS-WinCE5/32299023608.html?spm=0.0.0.0.RehQ2s

From my understanding, I could connect that USB adapter to the RS-485 connector on a pan/tilt device and move the pan/tilt via a computer. I could easily connect the pan/tilt device to a computer at the installation site. What I'm not exactly clear on is how I could set it up to control this pan/tilt device remotely through internet (and preferably be able to use the Hikvision camera's software PTZ function to control this pan/tilt device)...Any ideas?

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I do not think it would be possible for the Hikvision software to control that adapter, the Hikvision camera software will only communicate with a camera that has RS485. Blue Iris may work with that adapter and give you remote access, never tried it but it may work.

You could control the PTZ mount with a PTZ keyboard but to control remotely through internet it would need to be connected to something that has access to internet like a NVR.

The best and most simple solution would be to get a camera that has RS485, connect the RS485 from the camera to the mount, run a POE line to a POE splitter to power both camera and mount and your good to go.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just waiting on my camera to arrive now and I can start throwing it together. have a panning camera on my 3 story roof top

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Keep us posted when the cam comes in!

On a side note I purchased one of the cheaper box cams that you posted about earlier (2810F) I opted for the 2mp version 2820F. It produces a good picture but lacks the processing power of the 4000 series and does not have all the smart features (it does have line crossing and intrusion), works fine with my NVR and the PTZ functions work the same.

None of the Aliexpress sellers would sell it with English firmware, they all said Hikvision would not allow it as it is intended for Chinese market only. Luckily it does have English just need to use the Java trick to bring it up, not a bad camera for $120 will probably get another.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, but unfortunately this Hikvision model (2032-i) does not have an RS-485 interface. I'm trying to find a solution to add one of these pan/tilt brackets to the Hikvision's without a RS-485. In other words, the RS-485 controlled pan/tilt bracket would not be connected in-line to the IP camera. It would be a completely separate device with it's own power source and it's own wiring that is in no way connected to the camera. The camera would only be mounted onto the pan/tilt device, not "connected" to it via wiring.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the RS-485 controlled pan/tilt bracket would not be connected in-line to the IP camera. It would be a completely separate device with it's own power source and it's own wiring that is in no way connected to the camera. The camera would only be mounted onto the pan/tilt device, not "connected" to it via wiring.
if you find the answer let me know as i'm very interested, I researched and couldn't figure it out.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
but anyway, my camera works great, heres the pics of it installed.
I mounted the power splitter inside the roof as no room in the case, that's the 2 power wires you see going to the camera.
did a bit of extra waterproofing on it with the cut pvc pipe and a piece of rubber around the ptz mount where it pivots so water doesn't get into there through the gap.

Attachments