Adding RTSP (non ONVIF) Stream to Dahua/Lechange NVR Possible?

BGChicago

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a device that streams RTSP (h.264) and would like to add it to the NVR. It is not a camera so it doesn't support ONVIF. My NVR is Lechange 8 port 4k (bought from Frys), similar to the budget Dahuas from 2017-2018 model year.

The RTSP streamer is on the same network as the control port of the Lechange. The stream is at rtsp:/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:554/live.sdp and I can view it with VLC or TinyCam on Android. I have a nother streamer that I can modify the stream address to what ever I want after the :port/ if that would help.

So I tried adding it as "Customized" but it would not go online and not stream. I also tried a few random brands which specify rtsp:/ stream address but it would not work either. It is also forcing me to include "channel number" so this could be part of the problem.

* Is that even possible?
*If it is possible, would it work if the stream in on the control port of the NVR network side or does it have to be on the switch port of the NVR (where the OEM POE cameras are, different subnet)?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a device that streams RTSP (h.264) and would like to add it to the NVR. It is not a camera so it doesn't support ONVIF. My NVR is Lechange 8 port 4k (bought from Frys), similar to the budget Dahuas from 2017-2018 model year.

The RTSP streamer is on the same network as the control port of the Lechange. The stream is at rtsp:/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:554/live.sdp and I can view it with VLC or TinyCam on Android. I have a nother streamer that I can modify the stream address to what ever I want after the :port/ if that would help.

So I tried adding it as "Customized" but it would not go online and not stream. I also tried a few random brands which specify rtsp:/ stream address but it would not work either. It is also forcing me to include "channel number" so this could be part of the problem.

* Is that even possible?
*If it is possible, would it work if the stream in on the control port of the NVR network side or does it have to be on the switch port of the NVR (where the OEM POE cameras are, different subnet)?
Hi @BGChicago

Q: Is it possible?
A: Maybe - depends on what the "custom" settings and the rtsp streaming can be set so that they are compatible.

NVR poe port - don't need to go through that, you can feed rtsp streams through the WAN port of the NVR ( where it connects to your LAN )

Try to see if the rtsp streamer following some of the ONVIF specs - if so, perhaps change the NVR to talk ONVIF on the channel you want to add the camera to.

Definitely sync the port info.

BGChicago

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @BGChicago

Q: Is it possible?
A: Maybe - depends on what the "custom" settings and the rtsp streaming can be set so that they are compatible.

NVR poe port - don't need to go through that, you can feed rtsp streams through the WAN port of the NVR ( where it connects to your LAN )

Try to see if the rtsp streamer following some of the ONVIF specs - if so, perhaps change the NVR to talk ONVIF on the channel you want to add the camera to.

Definitely sync the port info.
Thank you. At least I know I can keep trying thru the "WAN" port. So far no luck. I've tried almost all setting.

BGChicago

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In TinyCam for Android if I select brand "Axis", then RTSP over TCP/IP and the stream starts (this is in addition to the generic brand the worked first). In LeChange, there is AXIS option, RTSP stream address but it does not connect/stream. I assume it is looking for ONVIF protocol.

BGChicago

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
SUCCESS!!!
I had to add /&channel=1&stream=0.sdp? after the IP address.

Edit:
rtsp:/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/user=admin&password=&channel=1&stream=0.sdp?

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
SUCCESS!!!
I had to add /&channel=1&stream=0.sdp? after the IP address.
Thanks for the Good news.

If you can write a quick summary for others here on how / what to do that would be appreciated.

BGChicago

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the Good news.

If you can write a quick summary for others here on how / what to do that would be appreciated.
I figure out more. It wasn't the "/&channel=1&stream=0.sdp?" suffix bit rather typing in "admin" for username. My streamer does not require user name or password so it must be a glitch in the firmware. Step by step:

In Dahua/LeChange WebGUI go to Setup/Image/Registration.
Click "Manual Add"

Manufacturer: "Customized"
Main Stream: "rtsp:/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
Sub Stream:
User Name: "admin"
Password:

Edit: It might be helpful to duplicate the stream address in the substream. My NVR forces to substream when viewing 8/9 windows view.

Last edited: