Adjusting zoom on an IPC-B52IR-Z12EB-S2

JPmedia

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Maybe I'm missing it, but I cannot find the zoom control for this camera in the Web GUI. There is a "FOCUS & ZOOM" selection, but it only shows the focus mode when selected, which is on Semi Auto.

System version is V3.100.0000000.6.R, Build Date: 2023-08-02

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you are using Internet Explorer as the browser used to connect to the camera.
Yes IE is still there.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And it isn't in the focus and zoom tab section of the settings, it is in the live view at the bottom left.

1726774215579.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For LPR, you will want to change the focus speed from 20 to 1 while dialing in the focus.

That is the step count and trying to focus it on 20 will give big swings in focus.

JPmedia

n3wb
Reaction score
For LPR, you will want to change the focus speed from 20 to 1 while dialing in the focus.

That is the step count and trying to focus it on 20 will give big swings in focus.
Thanks for the tip. I've been following the threads on this camera for LPR use. I plan on re-reading all info to do set up and take my time to dial it in for my specific use.

I've been experimenting with a 4mp PTZ with a zoom of 5 to 64mm just to see how it would do on picking out license plate info and it does quite well during the day. That and the forum threads is what pushed me to purchase the Empire Tech camera

JPmedia

n3wb
Reaction score
I Have seen a lot of tinted plate covers in my neighborhood lately, which is illegal here in Florida (even clear covers are illegal). It is very difficult to get readable captures of the plate info with these tinted covers, but I managed to grab this one. Anyone else have difficulties capturing plate info with tinted covers?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those aren't bad, just remember that with enough light, the cameras can work in auto, but we want to try to capture as many as possible day and night!

Yeah the covers are hard. No system will get 100%. There will always be the tinted cover, temp tags, fake tags, no plates, etc.

That is why I am a big fan of making the plate as large as possible to help try to capture some of the questionable ones.

The plate covers, even if not tinted, are impossible to get at night because the infrared just reflects it all back, as are plates in back windows, but because enough IR cannot get to them.

JPmedia

n3wb
Reaction score
Those aren't bad, just remember that with enough light, the cameras can work in auto, but we want to try to capture as many as possible day and night!

Yeah the covers are hard. No system will get 100%. There will always be the tinted cover, temp tags, fake tags, no plates, etc.

That is why I am a big fan of making the plate as large as possible to help try to capture some of the questionable ones.

The plate covers, even if not tinted, are impossible to get at night because the infrared just reflects it all back, as are plates in back windows, but because enough IR cannot get to them.
Thanks. The test using the PTZ camera was to see if it was possible to capture plates given the mounting location, angle and distance - roughly 160 feet. Otherwise, there would be no reason to invest in a LPR camera.

I wouldn't want to use the PTZ for LPR activity as I don't believe it would do well in low light. Plus, the reason for having a PTZ is to be able to view what you have interest in at the time, where manual settings would be difficult to implement given the wide range of scenes and lighting.

A dedicated camera for LPR makes much more sense as it can fine tuned to a predetermined location. Plus, the PTZ cameras I have are quite large - hard for them NOT to stick out

Last edited:

JPmedia

n3wb
Reaction score

It makes you wonder what they are trying to hide. We live on a corner lot with a cul-de-sac on the outside corner. Many of the same shady vehicles choose to go out of their way to go around the far side of the cul-de-sac, for what reason, I have no idea

Last edited: