Advice for a dedicated CCTV monitor

Tareva

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi...

We have 3 Nest cams that we monitor with my desktop PC, my phone, and an iPad using our Comcast WiFi setup. But we would like to have a separate, dedicated monitor to view camera feeds 24/7. I'm thinking that what I need is a 32" smart TV with built-in WiFi and browser. That way I can use the browser (via WiFi) to log in to the Nest website and cue up the cameras.

Is there a better way?
Is there a more direct way?

Thanks.....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi...

We have 3 Nest cams that we monitor with my desktop PC, my phone, and an iPad using our Comcast WiFi setup. But we would like to have a separate, dedicated monitor to view camera feeds 24/7. I'm thinking that what I need is a 32" smart TV with built-in WiFi and browser. That way I can use the browser (via WiFi) to log in to the Nest website and cue up the cameras.

Is there a better way?
Is there a more direct way?

Thanks.....
Smart Tv's are pretty dumb and are slow to get updates if ever. The browser may not even be able to display your feeds. You are better off using something like a fire stick or chromecast.
The problem with nest is that in order to view your streams locally, it needs to first be uploaded to the cloud then downloaded again. This will not only consume your available bandwidth but also may cause you to exceed data limits your providers may impose.
A better solution is to get rid of nest for true ipcameras that operate independently and locally. You will get a much better image to boot.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Or you could just use a raspberry pi, and install rpisurv onto it. Connect it to your TV over hdmi and you're done.

Raspbery Pi2 Camera Monitor w/Rpisurv

If you use the latest Raspberry Pi 3b+ , you could use the onboard wifi, if you really need to use wifi.

Tareva

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow...iIt's easy to see that I'm a naive beginner in this arena and not able to see the big picture. Didn't think about exceeding our available bandwidth. Back to the drawing board and more research. Thanks for the tips and warnings.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow...iIt's easy to see that I'm a naive beginner in this arena and not able to see the big picture. Didn't think about exceeding our available bandwidth. Back to the drawing board and more research. Thanks for the tips and warnings.
Read the wiki / cliff notes