Advice for DAHUA DH-IPC-HDW3849HP-AS-PV camera for residential building

Reaction score
Hi All,
Happy New Year... guess we can still say that :).

A newbie here, so do forgive me if some of my questions are a bit off. I have read through dozens of threads here and learnt an aweful lot, so my thanks to those who have been kind to give their honest opinions and share their knowledge which has been really helpful for people like me to avoid those marketing gimmicks!
  • I am trying to have IP cameras installed in a private residential building as shown in sketch below. The property is a typical UK semi detached building with a relative mid size garden (by UK standard I should say) and it has a side drive way where a car is normally parked and there is an entrance to the back garden through a side gate at the end of the driveway.
  • In terms of the camera set up, I am thinking of installing two cameras in front (shown as new camera 1 & 2) and then 1 on the side of the building (shown as new camera 3). I am thinking of two cameras instead of just one as I would like to see view of someone approaching the front door from both sides.
  • At the back, I am think of having just one camera (as shown as new camera 4 in Fig 2). The neighbour has two cameras in front and back on their building as shown in the sketch.
  • The property is very close to the road which has a street lights that are on all through the night, so at night the front is illuminated plus there is a security light with sensors that comes on when someone walks within 1-2meters of the front door. The side and back of the building has flood lights with PIR and the lights come on immediately it senses motion within 2meters.
Given the field of view I am looking to cover, I am thinking a 2.8mm lens should be ideal.

For the camera, with the level of lights around the building, will a camera like DAHUA DH-IPC-HDW3849HP-AS-PV (full colour) be ideal? I have read through the various threads on full colour cameras but I also get the sense that they should be okay for well light property at night. Will this be an overkill and will a 4MP be better? I would prefer a night colour vision.

I would really appreciate your advise/recommendations on cameras and indeed my camera set up. By the way, I have narrowed my camera options to Dahua or Hivision.

Screenshot_20240106_120947_OneNote.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2.8mm and 3.6mm fixed lens cameras on the 2nd floor will result in getting great shots of tops of heads and hoodies. All of the IDENTIFY distance is lost in the vertical. If all you care about is DETECT and OBSERVE, that is fine, but most of us find in time we wish we had something better and lower.

Many find this thread to be a good start at learning camera basics such as chase sensor size not MP and get the proper focal length for the distance you are wanting to IDENTIFY.

It also includes the most commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night:

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

Keep in mind any camera can run color at night if you have enough light. The full color cameras cannot see infrared, so if you don't have enough light, you now have a blind camera. So most suggest getting a camera with infrared capabilities so that it can be used if one doesn't have enough light.

It is recommended to buy one camera and test it day and night at every location to get a feel for how it works.

The 3849 is a horrible camera that should have never been sold.

This is active deterrence camera on an 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor, so it is on a horrible MP/sensor ratio. You cannot have enough light at night for it to perform well. That sensor is designed for 2MP so a 2MP camera will kick its butt all night long.

Even worse, since this 8MP is on the same sensor and CPU as a 2MP non TIOC camera and there are many threads here showing how under-performing that 3849 is. They had to limit bitrate and other parameters on the 3849 to try to make it functional, and it just doesn't cut it.

In my opinion the 3849 should not be sold with that current MP/sensor and CPU combination, but alas everybody wants 4k and chases MP over sensor and this camera is the epitome of that thinking.

Further, the red/blue flashing lights are more gimmicky and are certainly not a deterrent. With any ambient light you won't see the red/blue flashing unless you are looking right at the camera.

If you want active deterrence, your best bet is to go with the 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV that will blink the white light. This is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform comparably to any similar 2MP fixed lens camera by Dahua. I have two of them. I have some of the other active deterrence cams as well, and would opt for the 2MP in every instance except for indoor, one could go with the IPC-HDW3449HP-AS-PV that has the red/blue lights that will bounce off the walls and be much more impressive than outside.

Lot's of threads here where people showed how bad the 3849 camera is in performing:

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV issues
I put this guy up and for some reason, and I can put my finger on it, this picture just looks strange. The grass kind of looks like digital or something. The camera is on the default settings but I feel like I have tweaked most of them. Any suggestions? IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV is the camera.

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV loses connection/reboots during the day
I have a IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV (8MP, Full-color night, 1/2.8” CMOS (3840 × 2160) @20 fps). I also have several IPC-HDW5831R-ZE, IPC-HDW2831T-ZS-S2 , and IPC-HDW4431C-A. The IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV disconnects and reboots during the day, I have no issues during the night. It's my only cam that has this...

Replaced HDW5442TMP-ASE by HFW3849T1P
Hello everybody! I replaced my favourite camera HDW5442TMP-ASE with new HFW3849T1P and I came accorss that HDW5442TMP-ASE has much better picture than newer one. I replaced it because HFW3849T1P 8MP instead of HDW5442TMP-ASE 5Mp and HFW3849T1P is TIOC (three in one camera). I didn't expect so...

Dahua 8mp (TIOC): Full Colour, Active Deterrence & AI
Dahua 8mp (TIOC): Full Colour, Active Deterrence & AI now for sale in UK. I wish they had the Image Sensor: 1/1.8" and a F1:0 lens as I would be all over this. SPECIFICATION Model Number: IPC-HFW3849T1P-AS-PV-280 CAMERA Image Sensor: 1/2.8" Progressive CMOS Effective Pixels : 3840 x 2160...

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV Video Quality
Hi All, I have recently installed Dahua IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV, 2.8mm (8MP, full color, active deterrence) cameras. The overall video quality is good but I cannot read number plate for cars passing down the road (approx 11 meters away) or identify people properly. Is it the expected behavior? What...

Reaction score
2.8mm and 3.6mm fixed lens cameras on the 2nd floor will result in getting great shots of tops of heads and hoodies. All of the IDENTIFY distance is lost in the vertical. If all you care about is DETECT and OBSERVE, that is fine, but most of us find in time we wish we had something better and lower.

Many find this thread to be a good start at learning camera basics such as chase sensor size not MP and get the proper focal length for the distance you are wanting to IDENTIFY.

It also includes the most commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night:

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

Keep in mind any camera can run color at night if you have enough light. The full color cameras cannot see infrared, so if you don't have enough light, you now have a blind camera. So most suggest getting a camera with infrared capabilities so that it can be used if one doesn't have enough light.

It is recommended to buy one camera and test it day and night at every location to get a feel for how it works.

The 3849 is a horrible camera that should have never been sold.

This is active deterrence camera on an 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor, so it is on a horrible MP/sensor ratio. You cannot have enough light at night for it to perform well. That sensor is designed for 2MP so a 2MP camera will kick its butt all night long.

Even worse, since this 8MP is on the same sensor and CPU as a 2MP non TIOC camera and there are many threads here showing how under-performing that 3849 is. They had to limit bitrate and other parameters on the 3849 to try to make it functional, and it just doesn't cut it.

In my opinion the 3849 should not be sold with that current MP/sensor and CPU combination, but alas everybody wants 4k and chases MP over sensor and this camera is the epitome of that thinking.

Further, the red/blue flashing lights are more gimmicky and are certainly not a deterrent. With any ambient light you won't see the red/blue flashing unless you are looking right at the camera.

If you want active deterrence, your best bet is to go with the 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV that will blink the white light. This is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform comparably to any similar 2MP fixed lens camera by Dahua. I have two of them. I have some of the other active deterrence cams as well, and would opt for the 2MP in every instance except for indoor, one could go with the IPC-HDW3449HP-AS-PV that has the red/blue lights that will bounce off the walls and be much more impressive than outside.

Lot's of threads here where people showed how bad the 3849 camera is in performing:

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV issues
I put this guy up and for some reason, and I can put my finger on it, this picture just looks strange. The grass kind of looks like digital or something. The camera is on the default settings but I feel like I have tweaked most of them. Any suggestions? IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV is the camera.

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV loses connection/reboots during the day
I have a IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV (8MP, Full-color night, 1/2.8” CMOS (3840 × 2160) @20 fps). I also have several IPC-HDW5831R-ZE, IPC-HDW2831T-ZS-S2 , and IPC-HDW4431C-A. The IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV disconnects and reboots during the day, I have no issues during the night. It's my only cam that has this...

Replaced HDW5442TMP-ASE by HFW3849T1P
Hello everybody! I replaced my favourite camera HDW5442TMP-ASE with new HFW3849T1P and I came accorss that HDW5442TMP-ASE has much better picture than newer one. I replaced it because HFW3849T1P 8MP instead of HDW5442TMP-ASE 5Mp and HFW3849T1P is TIOC (three in one camera). I didn't expect so...

Dahua 8mp (TIOC): Full Colour, Active Deterrence & AI
Dahua 8mp (TIOC): Full Colour, Active Deterrence & AI now for sale in UK. I wish they had the Image Sensor: 1/1.8" and a F1:0 lens as I would be all over this. SPECIFICATION Model Number: IPC-HFW3849T1P-AS-PV-280 CAMERA Image Sensor: 1/2.8" Progressive CMOS Effective Pixels : 3840 x 2160...

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV Video Quality
Hi All, I have recently installed Dahua IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV, 2.8mm (8MP, full color, active deterrence) cameras. The overall video quality is good but I cannot read number plate for cars passing down the road (approx 11 meters away) or identify people properly. Is it the expected behavior? What...
Thank you @wittaj for the detailed reply, much appreciated.

I actually went through the thread on sensors vs MP and several other threads on this subject. My referenced camera in my initial post is actually Dahua IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV-S3. However, I had my reservations and I was actually going for a 1/1.8" image sensor and a 2MP or 4MP.

Like you suggested, I thought of installing a vari-focal camera so I can play with it and see which focal lenght would work best for a fixed camera, as suggested in one of the threads. Aside, for the front, would it be better to have a vari-focal installed instead? That way I can adjust it to suit the desired distance to 'identify'? -which by my rough measurement ìs about 6m max due to proximity of houses across the road. I have read through dozens on dahua's UK&Irelad website, any recommendations of good dahua vari-focal cameras I could look at trying?

So as per information in this post Camera placement and vendor/model suggestions, I should be aiming for camera with 2.8mm or 3.6mm lens as I would be targeting a distance of around 4m-6m away from the front door, beyond that distace, are the houses across the road?

Thanks again for your unbiased opinions and willingness to share knowledge.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
The property is very close to the road which has a street lights that are on all through the night, so at night the front is illuminated

Look at the Dahua 5442, it is highly regarded and frequently recommended on this forum. I have two that stay in full color at night with street lights 50 feet from the cams. EmpireTech sells them as rebrands and ships to the UK. I would buy one 3.6 to start and play with a few locations and go from there.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 on the 5442-ZE. Your referenced 3849 camera is 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor designed for 2MP.

Keep in mind streetlights without lights on the house creates a backlit situation whenever an object is between the camera and the light source and the persons face would be in the shadow and black.

leapard

n3wb
Reaction score
+1 on the 5442-ZE. Your referenced 3849 camera is 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor designed for 2MP.

Keep in mind streetlights without lights on the house creates a backlit situation whenever an object is between the camera and the light source and the persons face would be in the shadow and black.
can you explain which camera models would give me the clearest image? I already have a Dahua system here with 4 IPC-HDW3841T-ZS-S2 with zoom
5442-ZE is one of the few wizmind models that i can buy on aliexpress i see it has a 1.8 sensor compared to 2.8 of the cams i have. would the 5442-ZE then provide a superior image?
all these great models like : IPC-HDW5842TP-ZE i cannot find them here or they are overpriced like 700-800 euros the dual lens wizmind model it costs 800+ here or they dont sell it at all.
how dous it compare to hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/Sl it is almost like they are superior with 1.2 sensor and facecapture and its available for around 200 euros per camera.
while i can only find 2.8 sensor dahuas with wizsense and not the superior wizmind series with bigger sensors.
I have seen great cameras from empire tech that i would want even with taxes+import fees to the netherlands its a much better deal.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
can you explain which camera models would give me the clearest image? I already have a Dahua system here with 4 IPC-HDW3841T-ZS-S2 with zoom
5442-ZE is one of the few wizmind models that i can buy on aliexpress i see it has a 1.8 sensor compared to 2.8 of the cams i have. would the 5442-ZE then provide a superior image?
all these great models like : IPC-HDW5842TP-ZE i cannot find them here or they are overpriced like 700-800 euros the dual lens wizmind model it costs 800+ here or they dont sell it at all.
how dous it compare to hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/Sl it is almost like they are superior with 1.2 sensor and facecapture and its available for around 200 euros per camera.
while i can only find 2.8 sensor dahuas with wizsense and not the superior wizmind series with bigger sensors.
I have seen great cameras from empire tech that i would want even with taxes+import fees to the netherlands its a much better deal.
The 5442-ZE is an incredible model and it will blow away what you call a "great model" HDW5842-ZE because that camera shoves 8MP on the same sensor as the 5442, so the 5442 will be better at night.

Your existing 3841 cameras are 8MP shoved on a 1/2.8" sensor which is fine for 2MP but horrible for 8MP. Your existing camera needs almost 6 times the amount of light the 5442 will need to produce the same brightness image.

The problem with the Hikvision you reference is it cannot see infrared, so you either need to have enough ambient light or be willing to use the built-in white light on all night.

Reach out to empiretech here by DM and see if he can work some magic to get cameras to you more cost effectively.

leapard

n3wb
Reaction score
The 5442-ZE is an incredible model and it will blow away what you call a "great model" HDW5842-ZE because that camera shoves 8MP on the same sensor as the 5442, so the 5442 will be better at night.

Your existing 3841 cameras are 8MP shoved on a 1/2.8" sensor which is fine for 2MP but horrible for 8MP. Your existing camera needs almost 6 times the amount of light the 5442 will need to produce the same brightness image.

The problem with the Hikvision you reference is it cannot see infrared, so you either need to have enough ambient light or be willing to use the built-in white light on all night.

Reach out to empiretech here by DM and see if he can work some magic to get cameras to you more cost effectively.
Thank you for your response i will reach out to them. if i understand correctly the 5442 will be able to provide me a more detailed image then hdw5842? I guess im too fixated on megapixels. if 4MP will provide me the superior image quality i will go for that. your right that the models i currently have dont really provide a better then 1080P picture especially at night and they have ghosting issues at times.
I have seen some videos of the 5442 performance it is outstanding at night and full color with IR backup for when there is no light at all. for the garden i want something that can provide overview. but also has a ability to add a seperate microphone. i find that the current cameras i have catch too much wind.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for your response i will reach out to them. if i understand correctly the 5442 will be able to provide me a more detailed image then hdw5842? I guess im too fixated on megapixels. if 4MP will provide me the superior image quality i will go for that. your right that the models i currently have dont really provide a better then 1080P picture especially at night and they have ghosting issues at times.
I have seen some videos of the 5442 performance it is outstanding at night and full color with IR backup for when there is no light at all. for the garden i want something that can provide overview. but also has a ability to add a seperate microphone. i find that the current cameras i have catch too much wind.
That is the biggest mistake people make is chasing MP. If the MP isn't on the ideal MP/sensor ratio, then the lower MP on the same size sensor will perform better. You need to purchase cameras that are in green if you want good night performance in lower light situations:

1708199622170.png

Here is a thread where you can see the differences between the 5442 and 5842:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV TiOC camera is designed for areas you want to deter people from, rather than detail collecting.
Install a standard camera for your building.

RE 8MP on a 1/2.8" cmos,
Standing still VS walking. You can see a difference in motion blur. It's not a good camera for detail.
1708227964267.png

Over all, I like the camera. The siren and flashing lights has done it's job deterring thefts.
The blue and red lights are bright enough to illuminate the neighbours house across the road.

It's filled in the spot of my system for some active deterrence. Rather than evidence only collection.
IMO deterring is better when the Police have many other crimes to be solving.

leapard

n3wb
Reaction score
The IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV TiOC camera is designed for areas you want to deter people from, rather than detail collecting.
Install a standard camera for your building.

RE 8MP on a 1/2.8" cmos,
Standing still VS walking. You can see a difference in motion blur. It's not a good camera for detail.
View attachment 186777

Over all, I like the camera. The siren and flashing lights has done it's job deterring thefts.
The blue and red lights are bright enough to illuminate the neighbours house across the road.

It's filled in the spot of my system for some active deterrence. Rather than evidence only collection.
IMO deterring is better when the Police have many other crimes to be solving.
Your right the thing the TIOC has going for its self is that it has the ability to deter and for me the ability to add a external microphone. that is why im still considering one. The 5442 would however provide a much clearer image at night at that position.
This is something i struggle with because the nvrs only have 1 external microphone input i need 2 for 2 different positions otherwise too much wind is recorded.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is something i struggle with because the nvrs only have 1 external microphone input i need 2 for 2 different positions otherwise too much wind is recorded.
On my previous NVR and current NVR the audio input/output is weird..
Input RCA connector can link to a video channel.
Output RCA can link to a video channel, and works for talking through DMSS app.
But any audio sent out the RCA connector is a duplicate of the audio stream through the HDMI output as well. So when playing back footage on the NVR with an HDMI monitor, the NVR's RCA audio output is playing the same audio.
I wish there was a way to separate these!

That being said...
Many cameras from Dahua have an audio connector on the fly-lead or a built in microphone and/or speaker.
You should be able to find a suitable camera with audio :).

leapard

n3wb
Reaction score
with 2 over view cameras the problem is they have to be located too high for decent audio pickup. maybe the TIOC is better just because i can place the microphone lower to the ground.
Otherwise the dahua audio pickup on the cameras i have is very decent.