Advice for the less experienced on hardware for 2 in and 2 out with NAS.

Davidod

n3wb
Reaction score
Over the past while I've been giving some thought to installing up to four IP cameras at my home - two outside and probably two inside. The principal reason is to be notified and to make available recordings if anything untoward should happen while we are away from the house. The two inside will both be for high wall mounting. One of the outside cameras will be under a porch while the other will be high at the gable end of the house.

Apart from normal in/out activity there can be some prolonged periods when the house is unoccupied, probably three or four times in a year and frequently up to three or four weeks at a time.

As shown elsewhere on the forum I can see that even a large SDCard would not have sufficient capacity for storage and therefore presumably a NAS Storage device is the next most affordable solution.

Despite what I said regarding the use of SDCard storage I see no reason to record constantly from the cameras. I would however like to have Push Notifications sent; both SMS (through a web system) and Email. While out of the country I can not always connect to email and anyway would not normally have data roaming activated. I would also like to have 'live view' available if necessary.

HikVision and Synology are two names that are frequently seen together and look as if an affordable solution might be feasible using those manufacturers. Hikvision seem to have a huge range of cameras and I wouldn't know where to start on picking suitable models. I do have a PoE router available so that should help somewhat in the installation.

I can see from browsing the forum that this area is laced with major pitfalls for the uninitiated, so I am hoping to capitalise on some of the experienced brains here. I would be very grateful to receive any comments or suggestions on the above, especially on any flawed thinking that I may have in my proposal. In particular suggestions with actual model numbers would be great as the range of equipment from even one manufacturer is bewildering. - Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olde

n3wb
Reaction score
Crikey, I have the exact same question. POE in every wall, house is often empty, need live view of 4 IPcams, two or three outdoor, free cloud storage of recent motion, SMS alerts plus motion capture photos by email so we can at least see the burglar's hoody.

I recently purchased a $600 Axis M3025 for the front door, which aught to be able to read number plates, but that would require Mr. burglar to drive up the steps and park on the porch. Also, despite a person-week of working with a fun group of guys at Axis tech support, we can not avoid motion detects due to wind and strong shadows on the (hot?) driveway (does hot matter?). Anyway, we call it Wind Induced Motion in Plant Shadows (WIMPS). Axis WIMPS are a real thing.

So, Axis upgraded their add-on motion detection app in their standard cam control software, but eventually had to suggest a mind-expandingly expensive third-party laser motion detector. I think they had something similar attached to genetically modified sharks, in an Austin Powers movie.

Meanwhile, a local security monitoring firm quoted four analog cams with a 1TB DVR for $2000. They said IP cams caused too much maintenance. And now the always-delayed audio from our pixelated, never-works-in-the-dark baby monitor is howling like a dingo in a bonfire. I bet one day there will be smart IPcams, ones that can do baby monitoring as well as home security, and they will cost less than a small car.

Surely there must be an easy consensus among you guys about the best in class, least-awful "dream system"... If say $2000 was your budget, or is $2000 not enough....? How do you guys stand it, when this entire industry seems so stuffed up and pooched? :(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Crikey, I have the exact same question. POE in every wall, house is often empty, need live view of 4 IPcams, two or three outdoor, free cloud storage of recent motion, SMS alerts plus motion capture photos by email so we can at least see the burglar's hoody.

I recently purchased a $600 Axis M3025 for the front door, which aught to be able to read number plates, but that would require Mr. burglar to drive up the steps and park on the porch. Also, despite a person-week of working with a fun group of guys at Axis tech support, we can not avoid motion detects due to wind and strong shadows on the (hot?) driveway (does hot matter?). Anyway, we call it Wind Induced Motion in Plant Shadows (WIMPS). Axis WIMPS are a real thing.

So, Axis upgraded their add-on motion detection app in their standard cam control software, but eventually had to suggest a mind-expandingly expensive third-party laser motion detector. I think they had something similar attached to genetically modified sharks, in an Austin Powers movie.

Meanwhile, a local security monitoring firm quoted four analog cams with a 1TB DVR for $2000. They said IP cams caused too much maintenance. And now the always-delayed audio from our pixelated, never-works-in-the-dark baby monitor is howling like a dingo in a bonfire. I bet one day there will be smart IPcams, ones that can do baby monitoring as well as home security, and they will cost less than a small car.

Surely there must be an easy consensus among you guys about the best in class, least-awful "dream system"... If say $2000 was your budget, or is $2000 not enough....? How do you guys stand it, when this entire industry seems so stuffed up and pooched? :(
Welcome to the forum. Run away from any installer that tells you ip cameras are "too much maintenance" that is a lie and fraudulent statement. There are two reasons why installers lie like that. 1) they dont have the technical skill to install ip. 2) the profit margin is much higher on analog.
Its 2016 - analog should never be used in a new install.
Your issue with motion detection is common and is a result of using pixel based motion detection with no real analytics. If you want a close to 100 percent accurate solution you need an external PIR sensor which many ip cameras can support. There are pc based NVR software packages that you an use to fine tune motion detection to get very accurate alerts.

Olde

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, quick reply. Thanks. If your budget was $2k, would you buy a mixed bag of Hkvision 4K IPcams, and an NVR, and Blue Iris, and cloud through a dedicated gmail account?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, quick reply. Thanks. If your budget was $2k, would you buy a mixed bag of Hkvision 4K IPcams, and an NVR, and Blue Iris, and cloud through a dedicated gmail account?
I much prefer blue iris over a standalone nvr. Yes I would go with hikvsion cams. Stick with the 2mp if you want better low light vision.

Olde

n3wb
Reaction score
Which Hikvisions would you pick for indoor and which for outdoor? Is heat detecting motion an actual thing?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Which Hikvisions would you pick for indoor and which for outdoor? Is heat detecting motion an actual thing?
It varies by application. There are tons of threads discussing the cameras.
By heat detecting motion I believe you are referring to PIR. Yes its a real thing. They are extremely reliable. The sell outdoor pir sensors that can be hooked ip to cameras with an alarm in option or if you end up using blue iris to a sealevel 120e device to trigger alerts or recording.
The hikvision indoor cube cameras have PIR sensors (though not as reliable as true separate pir)...

Davidod

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your questions coming in there Olde. With your questions and Fenderman answers I have been able to get a better understanding of the the tech required. It helped a lot.