Advice needed for an NVR camera system for a small school

yzpmpgq

n3wb
Reaction score
I am the "volunteer" IT guy for a small school. I set up 20 cameras 12+ years ago based on a geovision DVR card system. It's beyond repair at this point and we're switching to IP cameras. I use 16 IP cameras at home with Geovision NVR software, but now the software is no longer "free". There is an expensive up front cost AND a price per channel for IP cameras that are not theirs. So... I'm looking for advice on a replacement NVR system that will handle 20 cameras. It will be located in the server room, but at least 12 workstations will be accessing it to display cameras to large monitors or desktops. This will also require a complete rework of the network (which will be in later posts :). What recommendations do you have for an NVR system, cameras and any other tips to look out for?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Honestly if you are open to looking at another software solution, I don't think you need to look at anything other than BlueIris. It's inexpensive ($60 or less) and can definitely handle more than 20 cameras (only limited by the computing power of the machine it is running on). It is computer based instead of a hardware NVR, but the reliability of a computer that is dedicated to BlueIris use only is extremely high. Plus, the software offers a lot more flexibility than most NVRs are going to and you can have basically unlimited storage space by adding hard drives to the system.

You should really read the Wiki at the top of the site here. It is full of good information regarding everything you asked about. You'll find that people here are very willing to give advice and help out, but the wiki is a great place to start -especially the "Cliff Notes" portion - IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Since you're dealing with mainly well lit situations the normal cautions regarding sensor size versus resolution don't apply. You can probably also get away with domes, since they will be inside. 8MP cameras on a 1/2.7" sensor should work out well and allow more digital zoom that a 2MP on the same size sensor. The disadvantage will be under low/no light situations. Without knowing the distances involved lens sizes will need to be determined. Remember there is no, single, "do all" camera that will be the best for every spot. Just don't fall for the Reolink, Foscam, et al, scam. Those cameras, consumer grade, play too many games with frame rates, bit rates and iframe rates, all of which are critical, which make them relatively unreliable when it comes to blur free motion and capturing motion in the first place.

If you're going to need low light performance as well, stick to the 5442 series from Dahua or the Hikvision equivalent. They are 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor and provide good low light performance.

Another advantage of Blue Iris is that you're not locked into using the same brand for cameras and an NVR. Blue Iris will handle just about any camera that is out there. Whether you decide n an NVR or Blue Iris plan on recording constantly at least while the school is open and people/students are present. Plan for sufficient hard drive storage to make sure you can keep at least a month of video, just in case. External drive systems, USB or NAS, can't keep up with the constant demand that recording video requires so internal storage, SATA, is necessary. You can move the video off of internal and onto an external system during "off hours" though, but viewing them may be slower as a result.