Advice on good interior varifocal camera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
L.S.,

I'll start to install a small camera system in my apartment : I need a doorbell camera, one interior and one for my terrace. I want to record on my own computer or possibly NVR when someone comes in the neighbourhood, not 24/7.
Is it preferable to have PoE cameras ? I'll probably need to install a switch as well. Wiring will have to be new.
Furthermore, I already had a Dahua IPC-K35S, which I had to send back because of bad functioning (within 2 days). I see Hikvision has a bewildering choice, but they are more expensive than Dahua. Is the additional cist justified?
Moreover, I do not want problems on back door trojans, or whatever filth can be distributed over the internet for DDoS infestations or whatever.
Lastly : I only have Mac, iPad and iPhone and I would like to keep it that way.
I read something about Foscam and F-secure.
Any help will be appreciated!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Www,

I've been working on an outdoor installation, some information from the following should be useful for you.

Please feel free to check out the notes I made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Lots to learn, and I am still learning.

Also in terms of security, the only way to ensure you have a more secure setup is to keep your cameras on an isolated network. As you would like to view the cameras on your iphone, ipad, imac/macbook you will need to take some time to look a security options - suggest reading the VPN article in the link list above.

Have fun on your camera journey

Last edited:

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Welcome Www,

I've been working on an outdoor installation, some information from the following should be useful for you.

Please feel free to check out the notes I made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Lots to learn, and I am still learning.

Also in terms of security, the only way to ensure you have a more secure setup is to keep your cameras on an isolated network. As you would like to view the cameras on your iphone, ipad, imac/macbook you will need to take some time to look a security options - suggest reading the VPN article in the link list above.

Have fun on your camera journey
Thank you so much for your very fast reply. I'll study your article very carefully.

W

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. As a matter of fact, I had already bought a Dahua, which I had to send back. I am a little afraid of the quality versus Hikvision.
Moreover, the backdoor problem is to be taken seriously.
I see Nayr also posted an article an Dahua.

W
The quality is the same.... there is no backdoor issue with any camera unless you are dumb enough to expose it to the net....what problem did you have with your dahua...most of the time it's user error

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The quality is the same.... there is no backdoor issue with any camera unless you are dumb enough to expose it to the net....what problem did you have with your dahua...most of the time it's user error
Thank you for your answer.
Concerning the Dahua camera : it went off after a few minutes, then on again, then off again, and so on.
Concerning exposing the camera to the net : it will probably be on a switch, and of course protected with a strong password. But, I would like to be able to view what's happening when I am outside, e.g. while on holiday, or whatever. So this will be happening using the internet.
Any hints on protecting this kind of networking will be greatly appreciated.
I refer to the report that has beem written by F-secure about backdoor problems with Foscam cameras.

W

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer.
Concerning the Dahua camera : it went off after a few minutes, then on again, then off again, and so on.
Concerning exposing the camera to the net : it will probably be on a switch, and of course protected with a strong password. But, I would like to be able to view what's happening when I am outside, e.g. while on holiday, or whatever. So this will be happening using the internet.
Any hints on protecting this kind of networking will be greatly appreciated.
I refer to the report that has beem written by F-secure about backdoor problems with Foscam cameras.

W
Doubt is was defective...could be a million reasons why...what do you mean on/off?
use a vpn and NEVER expose the camera itself...
again, all those articles are only relevant to fools who expose cameras directly to the internet...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you have a true Dahua cam, or a Chinese region hacked firmware version. Set up the network correctly, and there is extremely little security risk. Stay away from the China region cams.

With Dahua cams, most problems turn out to be operator error.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Doubt is was defective...could be a million reasons why...what do
Did you have a true Dahua cam, or a Chinese region hacked firmware version. Set up the network correctly, and there is extremely little security risk. Stay away from the China region cams.

With Dahua cams, most problems turn out to be operator error.
Hallo sir,

This was a correctly in Europe imported camera, bought from the Dutch importer.
I my opinion there was either a problem with the power supply unit or with the internal circuitry.

W

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hallo sir,

This was a correctly in Europe imported camera, bought from the Dutch importer.
I my opinion there was either a problem with the power supply unit or with the internal circuitry.

W
That would be easy to test with another power supply...or poe switch..