Advice on purchasing a system

Meltz

n3wb
Reaction score
First off I'm new to these forums as well as surveillance. Looking to purchase/build a surveillance system for my house. So far I've only felt with the hikvision 2432-IW as well as the foscam 31w. As I said I'm looking for a system to buy, thinking about building something with the hikvision cameras or purchasing this from Costco: http://m.costco.com/Swann-16-Channel-HD-3MP-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD,-6-1080p-Cameras-and-2-Vari-Focal-Cameras.product.100070310.html

Comes with everything I need as far as I'm concerned. What do you all think of that Costco surveillance system or should I learn how to build a nvr and purchase some cameras and everything separate? I appreciate the feedback, thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want simplicity this is a good deal all plug and play. The advantage of buying separate is getting different types of cameras such as domes, or mini domes...
The swann system is a hikvision rebrand so it will even work with your 2432...
You can also buy a pc dedicated for NVR software but it is more complex to manage..

Meltz

n3wb
Reaction score
If you want simplicity this is a good deal all plug and play. The advantage of buying separate is getting different types of cameras such as domes, or mini domes...
The swann system is a hikvision rebrand so it will even work with your 2432...
You can also buy a pc dedicated for NVR software but it is more complex to manage..
Yeah I kinda figured that. I do like that the Costco one could run by it's self without having a computer on. I do have a PC that I use now with blue iris to run my 2 cams, the hikvision 2432 and the foscam 31W, don't seem to be a fan of that method since it lags my computer SO much. And what's the difference between domes and mini domes, vs bullet cams and varifocal? I suppose a google search might help. I appreciate your input. I wouldn't know where to start if I bought everything seperately. I suppose I could start with a system like that and customize later once I learn a little more.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Domes are more vandal resistant. Bullets are easier to aim. You can buy a Hikvision NVR separately if you want then buy domes or bullets. Varifocal allows you to MANUALLY adjust the viewing angle of the camera.

Meltz

n3wb
Reaction score
I am still debating on purchasing a NVR or possibly build an i7 PC to use as a NVR, my question is will even an i7 handle 10-15 cams which I plan on expanding to in the future? What do you all use? NVRs or PCs? All these decisions are so hard for me when I know very minimal about surveillance and Network cams, even after about a week of solid research.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you get a modern haswell i7 then yes you can handle 10-15 3mp cameras with blue iris. IF you use milestone that allows you to use the in camera motion detection vs its own software based motion then you can get away an i3 or i5. Milestone is much more expensive though at 50 dollars per camera license fee. Its all about what level of customization you want. The standalone NVRs are basically plug and play, but the pc nvr software is much allows for more customization but requires more setup and maintenance.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
About a year ago I installed both a CCTV (like the one you mentioned in the costco link, but only 8 channel) and a separate IP based system using foscam 8910w cameras. Long story short, the CCTV infrastructure sucks. Just this past week I have pulled out the CCTV system and have replaced those cameras with several more foscam 8910w's.

The foscam 8910w's are "indoor" cameras, but I've installed them under the eaves of my house (I've had two under the eaves for a year and no problems w/ outdoor conditions). My rational is that the cameras are only ~ $50 each so if one gets fried, no big deal.

The foscam 8910w's are far from the best picture, but it's good enough for what I need.

Bottom line - my experience with the CCTV system was painful largely due to the crappy software on the recorder. The IP-based cameras won out largely due to the use of Blue Iris Software, which consolidates IP based cameras and makes management and access easy.

I don't work for Blue Iris Software (although it probably sounds like it), but I am a big fan of the product. Check it out here: http://blueirissoftware.com/

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is a bit of an adventure.

I debated back and forth for a while. Simplicity vs custom.

Ultimately decided to roll my own, as I wanted different and better cameras than box kit, and something better than the box NVR for UI for reviewing. You don't get many options to see those things in action. Plus I knew that running whatever standard cable comes in a kit, probably wasn't going to work. In a retrofit I'm needing to snake 100ft + runs through floors, attics, away from other systems in the basement etc. With a preference for shielded cable. Ends up a bit costly between a custom nvr, a box of cable, poe switch, some cameras, ... But, way cheaper than the verbal quote I received for a $1000 NVR and $500-$1000/cam without labor & installation at $85/hr.

FYI. My camera kit ends up running $500 nvr, $250 16 port poe switch, $135 1000ft Cat6 shielded cable, $100-200 per camera ... have tools & time.

At the same time I'm redoing the existing network switch, relocating everything network wise (had a spider web of a router to several small hubs), and am prepping to double up cat6 to every room, have a couple wifi access points, ... :) That thing tends to grow while you're at it, if you want to upgrade and future proof a little. Point can be made in favor of wifi cameras, but the cameras need power, which isn't easily found outside where you mount a camera and then you're stuck with a wallwart somewhere.

Core i7 should handle a dozen cameras more easily, with live view on. A test corei7 system was running 10% CPU with 4 cams up in live view.

I just built a mini Core i5 NVR with an Intel NUC ( more a mobile cpu system than full-on desktop ) and with the free Hikvision NVR software I am coming a bit short for live viewing of 4 cameras, where it will use 50% CPU already. Likely because it doesn't give me the option to pick the substream for live viewing (it should be there, I've seen it in a tutorial, but isn't anywhere to be found on my machine). Going into viewing a recording while it is doing whatever it needs to do, it was 75% to maxed out.

Now doing the same with axxon next demo/free, live view 5-up in a 9grid with automatic scaled down live views, it's running at 30+% with live view on. 10% idling if no live view. I'll be getting a few more cameras shortly. Curious to see how it develops. I may end up needing an i7 to have live view on all the time.

I settled on the varifocal domes, per networkcameracritic's advice, in that you can dial in FOV/zoom and FOCUS to where you want it to be. Costs more than the simple bullets, camera can't be knocked out of alignment, needs more space to be installed (bullets have a footprint the size of a coke can vs a small desert plate), but no headache choosing between 2.8 4 6 12mm lenses and viewing angles; in my case where I have to shoot from different heights, need to cover a bit more distance, avoid recording some trees, ...

It all takes time to research, especially when you're trying out various softwares, evaluate different options, has a bit of a learning curve, but is fun seeing implemented.

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I prefer standalone NVR...Geovision has scarred me for life on PC based NVR :( tried to read their 300 page user manual....still don't see how people like the software.

When you plan for cameras placement, the way to select lens is based on where your target area is.

2.8mm---------------------------------------------------------------12mm

shorter range but wider area---------------longer range but narrower area

With 3 MP IP camera, the 2.8mm wide angle lens has been the camera of choice because most of their application they don't need to see more than 25-30 feet clearly, and can accept a ok picture beyond 30 feet.

Ideally we would all get varifocal cameras because we can adjust them, the problem is they are much more expensive than fixed lens.

Last edited: