Advice on Reasonably Priced NVR System with Fully Compatible Cameras

Reaction score
Hi

So am looking to replace my current defunct and obsolete NVR system with an NVR system that can be a little bit more future proof than my current system proved to be - so from what I can tell ONVIF compatible all round.

Any ideas of some reasonable systems out there?

Want an NVR so it can literally be plug and play - to that end also POE as what I am replacing is already pre wired.

Would prefer dome type cameras that are static and the cameras as good quality as possible.

Thanks!!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Dome type cameras?
Are you referring to Turrets or the Vandal Dome style?
8 or 16 channel NVR?
I think the 5 series Dahua NVR could be good for this job.
The Ipcmtalk store shows a few offerings

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
Dome type cameras?
Are you referring to Turrets or the Vandal Dome style?
8 or 16 channel NVR?
I think the 5 series Dahua NVR could be good for this job.
The Ipcmtalk store shows a few offerings
So I was thinking more like this kind of thing - just a style rather than a function if that makes sense!

IMG_6729.jpeg

Reaction score
Domes are problematic outdoors, due to dirt, reflections, and rain. For best results, always keep the cameras and any NVR from the same brand.
No NVR is simply plug and play, nor are any cameras, for best results, the NVR and the Cam's require setting up properly.
Stick with these: Review-OEM Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4mp camera (Dahua) | IP Cam Talk
The NVR choices these: Pro Series
Should of also mentioned they sit under the eaves of the house so are protected in the main, just require some periodic cleaning!

Re the plug and play, I see your point - I was being over simplistic as my previous system did require significant tweaking and settings adjustment to get 'just right'
I have discounted the PC Blue Iris option as there will be no real unobtrusive place to site this - whereas the NVR would be the compromise that I can manage.

Thanks both you and @Flintstone61 for taking the time to comment

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi

So am looking to replace my current defunct and obsolete NVR system with an NVR system that can be a little bit more future proof than my current system proved to be - so from what I can tell ONVIF compatible all round.

Any ideas of some reasonable systems out there?

Want an NVR so it can literally be plug and play - to that end also POE as what I am replacing is already pre wired.

Would prefer dome type cameras that are static and the cameras as good quality as possible.

Thanks!!
Welcome TurtlePower

Probably a good idea to share some about your current system.

Also, what is the major goals you want to accomplish?
( example, low light image capture of people attempting to steal car, .. watch wildlife, .. watch my dogs when at work .. )

Reaction score
Welcome TurtlePower

Probably a good idea to share some about your current system.

Also, what is the major goals you want to accomplish?
( example, low light image capture of people attempting to steal car, .. watch wildlife, .. watch my dogs when at work .. )
Hi Mat200

Yes so the current system was an off the shelf Swann NVR 7285 with 5 cameras a mix of Swann NHD-810 and NHD-811 cameras. the NVR has now failed and all the Swann compatible alternatives are obsolete.

The goals are to record any interference with the cars on our driveway day or night and general remote monitoring of our property - Suburban detached house.
The cameras are a mix of high level and a coupe of low level sited about 7 foot high.
I'd like recording and motion detection and masking if possible.

I guess an important feature I hadn't mentioned was viewable remotely.

Not sure of any other things to add other than a thanks in advance to any contributors.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Should of also mentioned they sit under the eaves of the house so are protected in the main, just require some periodic cleaning!

Re the plug and play, I see your point - I was being over simplistic as my previous system did require significant tweaking and settings adjustment to get 'just right'
I have discounted the PC Blue Iris option as there will be no real unobtrusive place to site this - whereas the NVR would be the compromise that I can manage.

Thanks both you and @Flintstone61 for taking the time to comment
Not that is will sway your mind, but an HP or Dell Small Form Factor (SFF) is not that much bigger than an NVR and then you remote into from any computer on your system.

BI/Computer doesn't have to be a dedicated monitor and mouse and keyboard. Most here run in headless with the unit hiding somewhere or next to the router.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mat200

Yes so the current system was an off the shelf Swann NVR 7285 with 5 cameras a mix of Swann NHD-810 and NHD-811 cameras. the NVR has now failed and all the Swann compatible alternatives are obsolete.

The goals are to record any interference with the cars on our driveway day or night and general remote monitoring of our property - Suburban detached house.
The cameras are a mix of high level and a coupe of low level sited about 7 foot high.
I'd like recording and motion detection and masking if possible.

I guess an important feature I hadn't mentioned was viewable remotely.

Not sure of any other things to add other than a thanks in advance to any contributors.
Hi @TurtlePower

"Swann NVR 7285 with 5 cameras a mix of Swann NHD-810 and NHD-811 cameras .. "

NHD-810 ..

possible HIkvision OEM imho based on these pictures ..
1664247122084.png

Swann .. not finding a solid lead on for a data sheet on these models ..

I suspect these are Hikvision, and thus if you only need an NVR you can go Hikvision OEM NVR ..

or, as these are probably good with specs .. Blue Iris or Hikvisions IVS-4200 on a PC and a POE switch ..

Attachments

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You can have both BI and an NVR.
you can start out with an NVR and get it running to your needs.
Then later when you want to experiment with BI,
You can stream the NVR video to BI and have the luxury to learn and try out settings etc,
will still recording events in the NVR,

Reaction score
Not that is will sway your mind, but an HP or Dell Small Form Factor (SFF) is not that much bigger than an NVR and then you remote into from any computer on your system.

BI/Computer doesn't have to be a dedicated monitor and mouse and keyboard. Most here run in headless with the unit hiding somewhere or next to the router.
Yes had thought of that with something like this...
Screenshot 2022-09-27 at 22.39.12.png

...with BI and link into it with most likely a mobile app (assume this is in BI?!!) and my laptop. What additionally would I need for this to work? I've seen the BI hardware wiki but something like this dell would only take one input from the cameras. I assume the POE switch the @mat200 mentions has the ethernet cables plug into it they into the PC above.

Thanks @mat200 it seems that it might be a toss up between the Hikvision or a reolink system camera.

@Flintstone61 it appears that I may well end up doing that - am contemplating trying to purchase either a hikvision NVR or reolink NVR that can be returned and trying it with the cameras and seeing what happens, failing that probably invest in the BI and associated pc which over time I can upgrade without fear what I have already becoming unusable.

Of course the suggestion of @looney2ns seems a pretty good investment but that's a significant upgrade in the cost stakes over the other 2 options above.

Cheers guys for your input - ill let you know how I get on!!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Micro form factor pc should be avoided. They don't have room for the proper drives, and the processor isn't up to snuff. You don't want a processor with a "T" designation after it.
Something like this works nicely: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF Intel i5-8500 3GHz 8GB 250GB SSD | eBay
Then you would need to also purchase a POE switch. You would plug all of the cameras into the POE switch, and also the PC running Blue Iris.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want to stream into Blue Iris- pain free, get a Dahua or Dahua OEM. is the Amcrest brand available to your neck of the World?
Hikvisions have more roadblocks/ trouble streaming to BI than Dahua

Reaction score
Cheers guys

Some food for thought there, taking all your advice on board and trying to find the middle ground on the cost front.

@Flintstone61 With regard to the nvr and Blue Iris would the Dahua NVR work with these existing cameras I have even though they are likely incompatible old Swann ones and be viewable in blue iris via the pc? Obviously probably the answer would be an informed guess!

A side question for Blue Iris if any of you know if I test the poe with blue iris on a pc I already have, will I be able to reinstall and use Blue Iris on a dedicated pc purchased later?