Advice on set-up - PoE switch selection

Reaction score
Nevermind, obviously was wrong place to post this, going back to other site for help....

__

Hi there,
I'm slowly trying to get a small 24/7 system together as I have funds.

I bought a Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 (500 GB, Intel Core i3 4th Gen, 3.3 GHz, 4GB Ram) with Windows 10 Pro off of Ebay for $60.65. I had a monitor and keyboard/mouse from an older computer. FINALLY got that all set up and going, downloaded Blue Iris demo.

I bought a TEKEMPIRE camera from Empire Technology off of AliExpress, IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2MP Starlight IR Eyeball Network Camera 2.7~13.5mm varifocal lens, for $125.00

I have a Xfinity Internet (60Mbps download/5 Mbps upload), a cable modem ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem, and Google OnHub Wifi Router.

I bought a 35 foot Cat 5E ethernet cable to hook the Wifi router's one ethernet port to the computer.

So, What kind of PoE switch or injector would be recommended - I would like at least 4 ports, Ideally 8 or 12, to expand the number of cameras over time.... (I know the computer is underpowered for 8 or 12 cameras, but by the time I reach that problem, I will have gotten an upgrade on the computer, hopefully).

And where would I put the switch? I would be great if it was after the Google OnHub, as that seems to be my security point currently...

I know I don't know much, thank you for any advice you can give me!

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm slowly trying to get a small 24/7 system together as I have funds.

I bought a Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 (500 GB, Intel Core i3 4th Gen, 3.3 GHz, 4GB Ram) with Windows 10 Pro off of Ebay for $60.65. I had a monitor and keyboard/mouse from an older computer. FINALLY got that all set up and going, downloaded Blue Iris demo.

I bought a TEKEMPIRE camera from Empire Technology off of AliExpress, IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2MP Starlight IR Eyeball Network Camera 2.7~13.5mm varifocal lens, for $125.00

I have a Xfinity Internet (60Mbps download/5 Mbps upload), a cable modem ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem, and Google OnHub Wifi Router.

I bought a 35 foot Cat 5E ethernet cable to hook the Wifi router's one ethernet port to the computer.

So, What kind of PoE switch or injector would be recommended - I would like at least 4 ports, Ideally 8 or 12, to expand the number of cameras over time.... (I know the computer is underpowered for 8 or 12 cameras, but by the time I reach that problem, I will have gotten an upgrade on the computer, hopefully).

And where would I put the switch? I would be great if it was after the Google OnHub, as that seems to be my security point currently...

I know I don't know much, thank you for any advice you can give me!
as you noted i5-3rd gen would have been a better choice and only 40 dollars more.
there is a dedicated poe switch thread....consider managed vs unmanaged depending on your skillset and needs.

Reaction score
so I was looking to try to get someone to give me a PoE switch recommendation based on what I have. I have been on that thread, but I'm new so I posted here. I'll post there for help on that thread if no one helps me here. The computer was 25 + 35 shipping. I see people saying here quite a bit that i5s are $100, but when I was searching and got mine, there were none with Win 10 OS Pro and >2GB Ram and >500 GB HD for under $130, so I picked what I could afford....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
so I was looking to try to get someone to give me a PoE switch recommendation based on what I have. I have been on that thread, but I'm new so I posted here. I'll post there for help on that thread if no one helps me here. The computer was 25 + 35 shipping. I see people saying here quite a bit that i5s are $100, but when I was searching and got mine, there were none with Win 10 OS Pro and >2GB Ram and >500 GB HD for under $130, so I picked what I could afford....
tons of them available...pennywise pound foolish...100 includes shipping..

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
My advice is don't cheap out on things. You bought a decent camera, do the same with the PC and a managed switch with more ports than you think you need. In the longer run, it's less expensive since the cheap stuff will need to be upgraded as your system grows. An i3, gen4, is marginal at best and will probably need to be replaced in short order.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.