Advice on USA camera from non authorized Amazon third party?

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I bought a DS-2DF8236I-AEL from a third party Amazon seller Discount ID for $1100. Obviously I was skeptical of the price and suspected that it might be the Chinese import but the description did not say this so I decided to roll the dice. Worst thing that could happen is I get a free shipping label to send it back. At the time I placed the order, I didn't realized that Hikvision will not RMA a unit to an end user.

The next cheapest price I could find online from an actual authorized reseller is $2600 from B&H Photo.
Adorama has it for $1700 but unlike B&H photo it seems they're not authorized? To be fair, B&H photo doesn't show up on the Hikvision list but I've seen plenty of posts here that says they are.

The camera was two day prime but came overnight.

So far it passed the smell test for all the things that make it USA or at least European. Came sealed in a Red and White box. The serial number in the camera matches the box. The Serial number in the device info screen has WR in it. It has the latest firmware release for US cameras. It as the UL sticker on both the box and the camera.

I messaged the seller asking them for the distributor in case I ever have a warranty issue. This is their response:

"I understand your concern. Unfortunately, we are in the same position where we cannot direct an end user to our distributor as they only communicate about orders with authorized resellers. At this time, we are an authorized reseller and we will always have access to your order information as well as your serial number. If you had a failure under warranty, we would recommend you call Hikvision for confirmation that your item is defective and get a case number from their Technical Support team (1-866-200-6690) - this is not an RMA, just proof for our distributor that troubleshooting occurred. Then you could provide us with that case number, and we can get a return/replacement for you as per your warranty. Please let me know if I've answered your questions fully! Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,
-Discount ID Web Team"

What do folks think of their response? What would you do?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a DS-2DF8236I-AEL from a third party Amazon seller Discount ID for $1100. Obviously I was skeptical of the price and suspected that it might be the Chinese import but the description did not say this so I decided to roll the dice. Worst thing that could happen is I get a free shipping label to send it back. At the time I placed the order, I didn't realized that Hikvision will not RMA a unit to an end user.

The next cheapest price I could find online from an actual authorized reseller is $2600 from B&H Photo.
Adorama has it for $1700 but unlike B&H photo it seems they're not authorized? To be fair, B&H photo doesn't show up on the Hikvision list but I've seen plenty of posts here that says they are.

The camera was two day prime but came overnight.

So far it passed the smell test for all the things that make it USA or at least European. Came sealed in a Red and White box. The serial number in the camera matches the box. The Serial number in the device info screen has WR in it. It has the latest firmware release for US cameras. It as the UL sticker on both the box and the camera.

I messaged the seller asking them for the distributor in case I ever have a warranty issue. This is their response:

"I understand your concern. Unfortunately, we are in the same position where we cannot direct an end user to our distributor as they only communicate about orders with authorized resellers. At this time, we are an authorized reseller and we will always have access to your order information as well as your serial number. If you had a failure under warranty, we would recommend you call Hikvision for confirmation that your item is defective and get a case number from their Technical Support team (1-866-200-6690) - this is not an RMA, just proof for our distributor that troubleshooting occurred. Then you could provide us with that case number, and we can get a return/replacement for you as per your warranty. Please let me know if I've answered your questions fully! Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,
-Discount ID Web Team"

What do folks think of their response? What would you do?
it really depends on what your risk tolerance is...
fyi, with most hikvision and dahua products, if you log into your b&h account you will see a much better price...this camera is 1699....

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
it really depends on what your risk tolerance is...
fyi, with most hikvision and dahua products, if you log into your b&h account you will see a much better price...this camera is 1699....
Strange. I'm logged in and $2600 is what I see:

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 4.38.45 PM.png

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So in my attempt to resolve why the "IR Trigger Mode" setting is not in the "day/night settings" section, I contacted Hikvision via phone. They took my serial number and asked if I was an end user or installer. I told them end user. After they verified the serial number, they didn't even ask me who I bought it from but instead proceeded to troubleshooting and then opened up a case after some basic trouble shooting steps that I'd of course already tried.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Thats good news that they are helping end users, perhaps because of the recent mud on their face.

Reaction score
In my post "Hikvision Plays Unfair Games" I concluded with the response from Hikvision about "WR".

While the first guy replied with snarky ignorance, the people at CSR sent me a reply that my WR camera IS supported.

Purchased from B&HP in NYC. BTW, you need to contact Hik CSR to ask if a specific dealer is on their list. I had confirmed B&H P several years ago when I bought my first camera from them. I just bought 2 minibullet Hiks from them this week for $105 @ shipped. Not sure how Amazon sellers can compete with that.

And to be clear, my explanation of how gray market benefits the parent corp is correct.

Regards,

Dewey

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, I have to take it all back. Apparently Hikvision thought I was an installer although I told them I was an end user. The contacted me this morning to let me know that they do no support end users directly and will not help me out with their missing "IR Trigger Mode" setting unless I get a licensed installer to call.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I have to take it all back. Apparently Hikvision thought I was an installer although I told them I was an end user. The contacted me this morning to let me know that they do no support end users directly and will not help me out with their missing "IR Trigger Mode" setting unless I get a licensed installer to call.
call them back and tell them you are an installer....Acme cctv and access control LLC....

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did and they asked me for my CCTV installer license which isn't even a thing anymore in the state of California. The irony of it is that I've installed over over a hundred cameras for friends and family.

I think I'll try your suggestion again and just give it a few days and hope I end up getting someone else which seems likely unless they have just a 3 or 4 folks working that hotline.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did and they asked me for my CCTV installer license which isn't even a thing anymore in the state of California. The irony of it is that I've installed over over a hundred cameras for friends and family.

I think I'll try your suggestion again and just give it a few days and hope I end up getting someone else which seems likely unless they have just a 3 or 4 folks working that hotline.
use a new number....

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
use a new number....
Number? Phone number? They ask for the serial number first and then they already know who I am so I don't think there's a way to get them to think i'm someone else. I do have business license for an unrelated business but it's obtuse enough that it could sound like anything related to tech.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Getting conflicting info. Email support emailed me back after I told them phone support wouldn't talk to me because I wasn't a licensed CCTV installer. They told me that all I have to do is say I'm the installer and that a license is not required and they're not sure why the second guy I talked to asked for that.

They really don't have their act together. They did confirm the unit is under warranty and is a valid us product.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Snagged another one from same seller for $1123 on Amazon. With my 5% chase amazon discount, this drops the price to $1066.

I'll get some more but will hold out for used to pop up for considerably less over the next few years.