Advice Please - Initial Install

kool_zero

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've been lurking a while and ordered a dew Dahua cams from Andy. Recently, I played around with placement and am looking for advice from the more experienced users here. I am using only 2 different model cameras right now:

HDW5231R-Z
HFW5231EP-Z5

Below are pictures of placement thoughts, as well as some test daytime shots from most of the placements. I'm looking to you all for possible placement changes/thoughts on what I have, and if different cameras may be better.

My goal is to cover the entry points, but I would really like to cover my entire property haha :) I have the wife's approval to spend on cams, so I'm not worried about what else to purchase, just need advice. Thanks in advance!

Here is the top view/layout of the house:

TopView.PNG

The blue dots are where I am anticipating putting cameras. The one yellow is just a thought as I'm trying to figure out how to capture people at the front door best. The back yard is difficult because i can't seem to find a way to get everything with those damn trees in the way. (note.. I did not do test placements at every point on the below images)

Front1.jpg Garage1.jpg Backyard1.jpg Roadside1.png

Here are test placements I did today. Pardon all the black/whiteouts.

Front:
front1.png fy_center.png sidewalk_1.png

Driveway:
drive_turret1.png drive_turrent2.png drive_bullet.png

Backyard:
by_left.png by_right.png

Roadside:
roadside.png

I think the biggest problem other than the backyard, is that I want to see EVERYTHING and see it clearly :)

Items for assistance:
1. Overall cam placement thoughts
2. The turret placement in the front allows me to see and make out people up to the sidewalk on closest to the house, but not after. I'm not sure if there is a better camera for the job though. I want to keep the same wide angle, but believe I will have to sacrifice that and zoom for additional clarity
3. How to see the entire back yard... I am just at a loss on this one.
4. Is there anywhere a PTZ may be better than one of the cams I have purchased?
5. Based off of the images provided, where would the recommended place be to capture license plates of those entering the subdivison?

kool_zero

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the doc looney! I've looked at that also and have been trying to read up on other cameras in that doc vs the current two I have while working today. I'm hoping to get some additional feedback based on my post so I don't have to buy/send back or be stuck with cams that don't really fit the bill. I don't expect a one stop purchase, but am hoping to keep transactions minimal.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your camera locations are generally all a bit high. You don't want to be looking at just the tops of heads. With your brick walls you won't want to install many cameras lower though, so for a good image that means the cameras will have to look farther away and be more zoomed in. Like this:
upload_2018-3-8_14-58-23.png

One place you could go lower without too much difficulty (with a weatherproof junction box) would be walls that are shared with the garage

The HFW5231R-Z12/Z12E is probably more useful than the Z5.

Play with IPVM Camera Calculator V3

kool_zero

n3wb
Reaction score
That makes sense. I am going to order a couple Z12Es too. I'll play around some more with the zoom and see what I can come up with too. Thanks for the input.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Items for assistance:
1. Overall cam placement thoughts - Make sure you cover all of your entrances and windows on the house. Also, make sure you cover any entrances into the property, such as the driveway and gates
2. The turret placement in the front allows me to see and make out people up to the sidewalk on closest to the house, but not after. I'm not sure if there is a better camera for the job though. I want to keep the same wide angle, but believe I will have to sacrifice that and zoom for additional clarity
3. How to see the entire back yard... I am just at a loss on this one.
4. Is there anywhere a PTZ may be better than one of the cams I have purchased? - Use a ptz where you have stationary cameras that cover the area also. A ptz never seems to be pointing in the right direction when things happen.
5. Based off of the images provided, where would the recommended place be to capture license plates of those entering the subdivison?