Advice please

ipaq

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'd like to install CCTV in my work place - car garage. And need your advice. 51.886423, -8.583389 this is the place, if you could check on google maps. There are 3 box units so eache of them should have ip camera inside, thinking of 2 mp, just to see whats is going on and possible with mic. Outside is my biggest concern as I'd like to be able to identify everything and everyone. It means face recognition, if possible number plates, night time mostly. Previously had couple thefts and was no use of my current CCTV (wasn't smart enough by buying from local DIY shop).
So as you saw on a maps it is industrial estate and at day time lots of movement there, it's good that it is dead end, so no "surprise" visitors. There are around 10 cars outside which we are fixing, by the fence facing my garage. Thinking of putting PTZ on south corner side and smth smart on north side for recognition of incoming plates and faces.
And obviously NVR with at least 2 weeks recording.

There is Dahua distributor near me so I'm thinking of going there, but first need your advice, as they will sell me what is best for them not me :).

So please advice me as don't want to guess and buy another crap CCTV kit.

Thanks

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
Many newcomers ask similar questions. I suggest you research here what they were told. You'll learn a lot quickly.
Camera location and lens size are critical. Lens will determine FOV (field of view), and the amount of detail. For facial identification, aim for 100 PPF (pixels per foot)
Go to Camera Calculator / Design Software, enter your address, google maps will come up, then place a virtual camera on your building. place an object (the subject) at a car or gate. Check the PPF for the lens (or camera model) you chose.
Or go with a Starlight varifocal reviewed here in depth. You can vary the FOV at install time, and dial in the right FOV. And it has great nightime performance.
I suggest start w/ nvr and two cams. The next cams will probably be different selections, based on what you'll learn.

Fastb

ipaq

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fastb, it is very interesting tool. Will post later my findings and again will ask for an advice ;)

ipaq

n3wb
Reaction score
ok this is my setup:
north corner facing north IPC-HDW5231R-Z
south corner IPC- SD59225U-HNI
inside garage IPC- HDW4431EMP- AS-S2 x3
NVR NVR4208 -P 3TB WD purple

please any comments on that

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
- Cams have IVS (Smart Detect) - Good
- Starlight models for outdoor - good
- PTZ: Check into the effectiveness of auto-tracking. Tricky. Some folks use additional sensors and some extra electronics to send tracking commands to the PTZ cam to instruct the cam where to look. But maybe you intend to manually control the ptz. Some folks decide 2 or 3 regular cams will provide the coverage of a single expensive ptz
- NVR: consider buying more channels than you think you need. Spend a little more to future-proof in case you decide to add cams later.
- Internal vs external poe: The NVR4208 -P has cams connected directly to the NVR, instead of through a poe switch. The result is you can't connect from your laptop to the camera without unplugging the cam from the nvr. Some cam configuration settings must be made directly on the cam, ie: you can't make the change through the NVR. If the cam is connected to a poe switch, you can surf to the cam directly across your lan.
Sure, it's another "box", but it gives you more flexibility. Like putting the NVR somewhere other than where all the camera cables terminate. Maybe your NVR won't live in the wiring closet.

Fastb