"Affordable" PTZ Starlight Cam?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Dramus - you are so upgrading LOL. Night and Day difference in most situations between the 5231 and 5442!

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I may just snag an IPC-T5442T-ZE off Amazon to play with. That incompatibility was explicitly mentioned in the review thread, acknowledged by Andy, and addressed (I believe?). And if it doesn't work out I can always return it to Amazon.
You can log in and make changes with regular Chrome and the camera's web interface. The "problem" is that some of the buttons for quick access to settings don't show up in Chrome. You can use the IE Tab extension with Chrome and the buttons will show up then. However, I believe pretty much anything the buttons can do can be done by simply going through the menus (which do work in Chrome). Long story short, you can still make it work in regular Chrome and if there is ever something you find missing, you can always use IE Tab to "fix" the compatibility issue.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Dramus - you are so upgrading LOL. Night and Day difference in most situations between the 5231 and 5442!
Probably not all of them. The 5231's are doing an "adequate" job. Probably just the main front porch and maybe the back patio.

Upgrading the three the 5231's and one 2231 I have, at $200/pop, would result in significant push-back from SWMBO.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Long story short, you can still make it work in regular Chrome and if there is ever something you find missing, you can always use IE Tab to "fix" the compatibility issue.
There are reports of settings made on the IPC-T5442T-ZE not sticking when done with non-IE browsers. See: Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus and Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

IE Tab is not an acceptable solution. On non-MS-Win machines all data using that extension is passed through off-site servers.

Let's try this: @EMPIRETECANDY: Have you seen the reports of this behavior, do you know if Dahua's engineers are aware of it, and do you know if it's either been addressed or there are plans to address it? Thanks!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This SD49225XA-HNR only have this special 20200312 firmware with autotracking, and it's the cheapest autotracking PTZ have now. Dahua stopped the updating for this autotracking firmware. So when you upgrade with their official fw, the autotracking will be removed.

If have good budget. Can buy SD5A425XA-HNR
This one can be updated with the latest new fw and can work with any browser. But price can buy 2 SD49225XA-HNR.
The only bug on the SD49225XA-HNR or SD49425XB-HNR autotracking fw is the alarm track time setting, chorme always show 15seconds, but IE can do bit more setting. They are the most stable PTZ cams under 450usd. Autotracking is bit good.

Another solution is to set this everything on dahua NVR.
Other cams with latest new fw can work with most browsers on the market.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Andy :thumb:

Yeah... No, I won't be buying a $750 surveillance cam

Cameras that aren't fully, properly supported on Chrome and Firefox, on non-MS platforms, w/o the addition of privacy-compromising extensions, are not acceptable to me, so I guess I truly will abandon this idea.

Perhaps, as I noted earlier, I'll acquire a IPC-T5442T-ZE with which to play. Or find something else entirely with which to amuse myself.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Affordable is difficult to identify, lol. Check this '' Affordable ptz'' :D

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Affordable is difficult to identify, lol. Check this '' Affordable ptz'' :D
That's pretty funny :D Especially since I understand such toy addictions all too well. Thanks for sharing.

I won't be going down that path, though. At least not with surveillance cams. No, my addiction--well, current addiction, anyway, is golf. (In fact I would have actually been taking the $400 for the SD49225XA-HNR, plus the cost of a mount, out of my <gasp> golf budget. :wow:)

Perhaps I'll drop you an email for an IPC-T5442T-ZE quote. I was considering buying one off your Amazon store, for the convenience, but I really prefer to avoid giving Amazon any more business than absolutely necessary these days. And, from your comments, it sounds like there'd be no worries about browser incompatibilities with that cam.

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's pretty funny :D Especially since I understand such toy addictions all too well. Thanks for sharing.

I won't be going down that path, though. At least not with surveillance cams. No, my addiction--well, current addiction, anyway, is golf. (In fact I would have actually been taking the $400 for the SD49225XA-HNR, plus the cost of a mount, out of my <gasp> golf budget. :wow:)

Perhaps I'll drop you an email for an IPC-T5442T-ZE quote. I was considering buying one off your Amazon store, for the convenience, but I really prefer to avoid giving Amazon any more business than absolutely necessary these days. And, from your comments, it sounds like there'd be no worries about browser incompatibilities with that cam.
How about these Amcrest PTZ speed dome, a bit old but closer to your budget

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, @Bitslizer, but, as I said, I think I'm going to drop the idea of a big PTZ camera for now.