Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

sdl0311

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To answer the question about target size, it is currently at 32. Anywhere from 30-32 it does the best. This issue is it didn't have this problem a couple days ago. It just started struggling to get the initial track as you can see in videos.

@Wildcat_1 where do I find the "Autohome" setting?

Here's a screen shot of my deepivs settings:
Screenshot 2021-03-02 125729.jpg

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
To answer the question about target size, it is currently at 32. Anywhere from 30-32 it does the best. This issue is it didn't have this problem a couple days ago. It just started struggling to get the initial track as you can see in videos.

@Wildcat_1 where do I find the "Autohome" setting?

Here's a screen shot of my deepivs settings:
View attachment 83786
Autohome is under Time Task in the PTZ Function menu BUT as I said less likely to be the problem UNLESS you have setup time based tours or other time related tasks. Looking at your FOV above, is the truck (or other vehicles) always in the driveway ? Can you DM me a pic of your install location (pic facing the cam). The reason I ask is that the FOV based on pic above is quite packed with 'immediate' objects. Then your IVS intrusion box is very tight around that giving not much opportunity to a) detect the given target (in this case looks like you are only interested in Humans) and b) much 'room' for the PTZ to the track and most importantly keep tracking through the 45s you have set. The pic will be useful both facing the cam and from the cam's perspective (whats to the left of the shot etc) to understand the opportunity it has and allow for better dialing in. With regards to the IVS box itself, to be honest, if there will always be vehicles on the driveway then I would just make the IVS intrusion zone the full size of the FOV.

Also just something else I noticed in looking at the FOV, the cam does look like its mounted rather low, I've guessing around 8' or so which gives you a more flat on vs overview FOV. While not ideal for a PTZ thats not to say that it can't work here, far from it BUT definitely needs to be dialed in from an image, IVS, filter size and tracking target size perspective to make it work.

If you want some further assistance with this live, reach out via DM and we can arrange a time that I can jump on your system, take a look at all settings and then dial in accordingly for you. Let me know, happy to help where I can.

sdl0311

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Autohome is under Time Task in the PTZ Function menu BUT as I said less likely to be the problem UNLESS you have setup time based tours or other time related tasks. Looking at your FOV above, is the truck (or other vehicles) always in the driveway ? Can you DM me a pic of your install location (pic facing the cam). The reason I ask is that the FOV based on pic above is quite packed with 'immediate' objects. Then your IVS intrusion box is very tight around that giving not much opportunity to a) detect the given target (in this case looks like you are only interested in Humans) and b) much 'room' for the PTZ to the track and most importantly keep tracking through the 45s you have set. The pic will be useful both facing the cam and from the cam's perspective (whats to the left of the shot etc) to understand the opportunity it has and allow for better dialing in. With regards to the IVS box itself, to be honest, if there will always be vehicles on the driveway then I would just make the IVS intrusion zone the full size of the FOV.

Also just something else I noticed in looking at the FOV, the cam does look like its mounted rather low, I've guessing around 8' or so which gives you a more flat on vs overview FOV. While not ideal for a PTZ thats not to say that it can't work here, far from it BUT definitely needs to be dialed in from an image, IVS, filter size and tracking target size perspective to make it work.

If you want some further assistance with this live, reach out via DM and we can arrange a time that I can jump on your system, take a look at all settings and then dial in accordingly for you. Let me know, happy to help where I can.
So the good news is, I deleted the camera from Blue Iris and re-added it and everything is back to normal without any issues as previously mentioned. Not sure what setting I changed that would have caused that, but it's tracking like it's supposed to again. I still need to dial it in more, as it will sometimes stop tracking someone for no obvious reason. I understand that the tracking is not perfect and I accept that for what it cost. Overall, I'm still very happy with it.

@Wildcat_1 I will definitely take you up on looking over the camera as I'd love to learn more from you about this cam and it's settings! I will send you some pics of the cameras location in a couple of hours as you requested. The camera does sit about 11' from the ground, directly on the facia. I placed it in the middle of my house to get better views. Unfortunately, I don't have the flexibility to mount it any higher just based on how my house is designed. The vehicles are usually parked in the driveway most of the time. There is always at least one vehicle in the driveway. I will also be using spotter cams in the near future once I order a couple more AI cameras from Andy. I will DM you again once I run a few errands.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wonder why tracking time is always been resetted to "15 seconds" again.
No matter what value i insert, after clicking back to the "deep ivs" menu entry, there is 15 seconds again.
Try to use internet explorer browser. That browser will resolve this problem.
Has this been fixed? Is it possible to have all camera features, settings, etc. work properly using Firefox, Chrome, or a Chrome derivative (e.g.: Brave)? IE and Edge are out-of-the-question, being as I don't have an MS-Win machine.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Has this been fixed? Is it possible to have all camera features, settings, etc. work properly using Firefox, Chrome, or a Chrome derivative (e.g.: Brave)? IE and Edge are out-of-the-question, being as I don't have an MS-Win machine.
Dramus, no, IE is still the browser required to ensure all settings a) take and b) remain in place

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dramus, no, IE is still the browser required to ensure all settings a) take and b) remain in place
Ah. Ok, thanks. I can stop reading the thread at page 32, then :(

That's appalling. Dahua should line their software engineers up against a wall and hire at least marginally competent replacements

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah. Ok, thanks. I can stop reading the thread at page 32, then :(

That's appalling. Dahua should line their software engineers up against a wall and hire at least marginally competent replacements
Again, to be clear, other browsers working in a 'limited' fashion BUT IE is the one you need for a successful configuration (that you know is in place on the cam) through the web GUI

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Again, to be clear, other browsers working in a 'limited' fashion BUT IE is the one you need for a successful configuration (that you know is in place on the cam) through the web GUI
Not. Acceptable. Even if I had an MS-Win box upon which to run it: MS Internet Explorer was EOL'd on Nov. 30, 2020.

Ah, well: I didn't really want to spend money on another surveillance cam right now, anyway. It's just that I got networking to the µBarn (a spur-of-the-moment project) and thought "Hey, since I have networking out there, now, maybe get that cam up there I've been wanting."

I'll find something else with which to amuse myself :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Even though IE was EOL'd, it is a well kept secret that it is still baked into the Windows 10... a simple search in the bottom left search box with the word Explorer pulls it up...

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Even though IE was EOL'd, it is a well kept secret that it is still baked into the Windows 10... a simple search in the bottom left search box with the word Explorer pulls it up...
The term you're looking for is User-Agent and just about every major browser (either through a built in function or extension) has a way to change it to be recognized as a different browser for an incompatible webpage. Yes, I agree that it's pretty unacceptable that I have to do this in order to make settings stick, but at least there is a way and it's fairly simple. It's built into Safari, and it's a downloadable extension on Chrome based browsers. Not entirely sure about Firefox.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So what is it about IE that works and other browsers don't. Inquiring minds want to know. :)
Why can't Dahua make their cameras work with the latest browsers?
IE isn't getting any younger or getting updates anymore. Saying IE is still there, is fine for now, but what about a year or more from now? Using a browser that is "dying" doesn't seem to be a great option going forward. Users understandably are going to say "huh, I have to install (or find) and use a dying browser?"
For the record, I hate IE and I hate Edge even more. :)
I understand that I need to use, and do use, IE when accessing my Dahua cameras. I would love to say bye-bye to IE. :)
TIA

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
So what is it about IE that works and other browsers don't. Inquiring minds want to know. :)
Why can't Dahua make their cameras work with the latest browsers?
IE isn't getting any younger or getting updates anymore. Saying IE is still there, is fine for now, but what about a year or more from now? Using a browser that is "dying" doesn't seem to be a great option going forward. Users understandably are going to say "huh, I have to install (or find) and use a dying browser?"
For the record, I hate IE and I hate Edge even more. :)
I understand that I need to use, and do use, IE when accessing my Dahua cameras. I would love to say bye-bye to IE. :)
TIA
With other browsers (not IE) you find as an example the following issues not limited to:
  • Slider, control bars lock up, don’t allow incremental movements
  • Some controls disappear completely
  • IVS rule lines don’t allow correct placement or completion of drawing
  • Settings dont ‘stick’ and often times even if showing saved have not in fact done so
  • System actions such as upgrades not completing
  • Some features do not work at all or have elements missing from a page
again just a short list of some of those issues you’ll encounter when NOT using IE. Some of the newer cams and Ultra lines aren’t as impacted but always better to use IE and something I personally recommend to anyone having issues or when configuring cameras through the web GUI.

HTH

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
For me, I always keep a Virtuabox or Parallels VM running then can access IE regardless of host platform I’m running.

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With other browsers (not IE) you find as an example the following issues not limited to:
  • Slider, control bars lock up, don’t allow incremental movements
  • Some controls disappear completely
  • IVS rule lines don’t allow correct placement or completion of drawing
  • Settings dont ‘stick’ and often times even if showing saved have not in fact done so
  • System actions such as upgrades not completing
  • Some features do not work at all or have elements missing from a page
again just a short list of some of those issues you’ll encounter when NOT using IE. Some of the newer cams and Ultra lines aren’t as impacted but always better to use IE and something I personally recommend to anyone having issues or when configuring cameras through the web GUI.

HTH
And this is why being able to change the User-Agent is important, especially to people like me who are Apple based and can not use IE.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
And this is why being able to change the User-Agent is important, especially to people like me who are Apple based and can not use IE.
Yep, I’m multi platform based but primarily use Apple. However as I mentioned above, always keep a VM handy so I can switch between environments regardless of primary platform and host OS. Way better than having to run boot camp :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So does this User-Agent in another browser allow the settings to stick on this camera?

I suspect that until IE is absolutely no longer available, a company is not going to spend the money to overhaul their firmware system until they are absolutely forced to...

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So does this User-Agent in another browser allow the settings to stick on this camera?

I suspect that until IE is absolutely no longer available, a company is not going to spend the money to overhaul their firmware system until they are absolutely forced to...
Yes. 100%. Way easier than keeping a VM running that takes up resources.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. 100%. Way easier than keeping a VM running that takes up resources.
nothing wrong with VMs especially when you need them for platform dependent work across multiple OS’s but if you ONLY need browser access there are other options ;).

I will say though, in my experience I still see issues when using User Agent on a number of Dahua models which I don't see with raw IE so just be cautious and understand that this may not solve all

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting...I could never get the Chrome extension to work and have settings stick. But since I have access to IE I never investigated it much further.