Aging computer problems, possible processor recommendations?, noob problems with Blue Iris

topppps

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, great to be here.

Just started using Blue Iris, have some problems and questions for you all.

1. So anyway, Im using an I7 2600k processor with a 970 Nvidia GTX graphics card, it's a retired PC I built myself for gaming, and brought out of retirement to run Blue Iris. My computer is having a hard time with 8 cameras, and Im hoping to expand to 9-10. In the front of the house I have 1 by the door, and 3 placed for field of view purposes, in the back yard I have pretty much the same. I have 6 recording continuously id like to have all 8 recording continuously, since last night some drunk driver hit both of my trash cans which were 6 feet apart, and one of the front cameras that was on "when triggered" didnt record this motion event, one of the cameras that was on continuous record caught one of the trash cans being hit. You think I can get 10 cameras to continuously record with this setup?

I looked here, Im running Reolink 410, and Reolink 520 cameras at 5MP 15 FPS and doing calculation with the table in here seems to suggest my PC would be fine, but it isn't with 8 cameras continiously recording the CPU usage goes to near 100 and the PC crashes.

2. Ive spent several hours trying to watch youtube videos on how to properly configure Blue Iris, I moved the frame rate down to 15 fps, Ive tried and failed to get Blue Iris to display a secondary feed, and record the main substream, it ends up displaying the low quality and also recording the low quality substream what do you do about that? Select record both streams? I dont really need to record both substreams.

3. What processor would be a good choice to replace my aging I7? I already have ram, a case, a power supply, 24 TB of hard drive space, an old SSD to run blue iris and operating system they're pretty high quality. Im open to considering a refurbished prebuilt PC that people seem to recommend on here, but it's likely going to have a worse case, PSU, fans and air flow. Ive got a Micro Center near me no Fry's. Would like to get a processor motherboard combo at around $300.

4. How do you setup main stream and substream if Blue Iris doesnt automatically detect them? 4 of my cameras are RLC 410 and it doesnt automatically detect them and just displays and records in HD.

Some other steps ive made is on the video settings, changed Hardware Decode to Nvidia NVDEC, and GPU any which seemed to help the processor load.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Not all Reolink cameras offer sub streams. In fact Reolink does not allow the end user to actually control many critical settings, like frame and iframe rate, referred to as key frame in BI. They are not a recommended camera to use as a result of all their short comings. Night video from them is usually nothing more than a blur is there is any motion. The bottom line is that all cameras need some light, either visible or IR, to "see" at night and even the capable ones need fine tuning to produce the best images possible. See this link -

Compiled by mat200 -

Look in the Wiki , in the blue bar, at the top of the page. There are guides for most every aspect of configuring a video surveillance system. There is also a guide to maximize the performance of Blue Iris which may help some.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reolink cameras are nearly useless with Blue Iris. There are 100s of post on there problems, particular at night. Reolink cameras do not adhere to the standards for cameras. Junk the reolink cameras if you are looking for security.

Use a i7-6700 business computer with at least 16GB memory. Look on EBAY. The I7-2600k id 10 years old, the memory more than likely will not work with a newer computer. The power supply may be using to much electricity (a power pig).

I run 16+ camera on an I7-4790 processor. All continuous recording. All at h.264 compression at 20% CPU. An ssd for the C drive and a WD purple for video. I run motion detection on only 8 cameras.

Last edited:

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m running an i7 2600 with 4 cameras, 8GB ram, continuous recording, and using sub streams, my CPU usage is at 4-5%. Before I got my substreams properly set up, I was somewhere around 15% CPU with only 3 cameras. Start replacing your Reolink cameras before your PC, because like these guys say, you are gonna want to replace those cameras anyway.

Edited to add: No GPU card, Intel only.

topppps

n3wb
Reaction score
Reolink cameras are nearly useless with Blue Iris. There are 100s of post on there problems, particular at night. Reolink cameras do not adhere to the standards for cameras. Junk the reolink cameras if you are looking for security.

Use a i7-6700 business computer with at least 16MB memory. Look on EBAY. The I7-2600k id 10 years old, the memory more than likely will not work with a newer computer. The power supply may be using to much electricity (a power pig).

I run 16+ camera on an I7-4790 processor. All continuous recording. All at h.264 compression at 20% CPU. An ssd for the C drive and a WD purple for video. I run motion detection on only 8 cameras.
What cameras do you recommend?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, to make do with that processor, you need cameras that have substream capability and preferably with AI built in.

And then do EVERY optimization in the wiki.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Always chase sensor size, not megapixels.
1/3" = .333" Great for 720P
1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet) Great for 2MP
1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball) Great for 4MP
1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round) Great for 8MP

The 5442 series from Dahua, and the equivalent from Hikvision, are the current goto cameras. 4MP with a 1/1.8" sensor.

Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

Less expensive models -

Andy, from EmpireTech, is the source to go to. He is in Hong Kong but ships very quickly. Normal transit time to the East Coast has been five days, but the way things are now it may be longer. He stands behind what he sells and gets updated firmware, custom updated by Dahua by working with true expert users here on IPCT, and posts it long before Dahua posts it. He also has an Amazon store and an AliExpress store. Another good source is the IPCamTalk store and Nellys Security, a member here, too. Send him an email for a quote and mention you're an IPCT member.

Andy
IPCT Thread

Andy's Store

King Security/EmpireTech Store

Email
Andy Wang kingsecurity2014@163.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

topppps

n3wb
Reaction score

Use a i7-6700 business computer with at least 16MB memory. Look on EBAY. The I7-2600k id 10 years old, the memory more than likely will not work with a newer computer. The power supply may be using to much electricity (a power pig).

Just to clarify you need 16 GB of ram not 16mb of memory right?

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you do the recommended optimizations, and you still are not satisfied, get a used eBay computer. I got an i7-6700 a couple of months back for $300, added another stick of 8GB ram for $35, and it runs great. I have about a dozen cameras, and just running BI, it runs less than 10% CPU.

topppps

n3wb
Reaction score
If you do the recommended optimizations, and you still are not satisfied, get a used eBay computer. I got an i7-6700 a couple of months back for $300, added another stick of 8GB ram for $35, and it runs great. I have about a dozen cameras, and just running BI, it runs less than 10% CPU.
how many cameras do you have recording 247?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an i7-6700K running with 20 cameras, 24/7 recording. Using sub streams the CPU ranges from 20-30% with a mix of 2MP and 4MP cameras, about 200MB/ps with about 17MP/ps.

Last edited: