AI for security cameras

derocco

n3wb
Reaction score
Scenario is the following:
We would like to use surveillance cameras for a car parking.
The idea is that the software should notice when a car parks.

Now if the driver or passangers go to Store A everything is fine.
But if they go so Store B (who is not the owner of the parking spaces)
THEN an alert should be triggered and the pictures should be saved.
Is there any software out there that is capable doing that? I havent found such a thing as of now....

Optimal solution would be if is also capable of using an alpr engine (automatic license plate recognition)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Is there any software out there that is capable doing that? I havent found such a thing as of now....

Optimal solution would be if is also capable of using an alpr engine (automatic license plate recognition)
Interesting problem @derocco

Are you really having this problem with too many people shopping right now?

Slacker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only option I can think of is to create IVS tripwire rules for the set of parking spaces. It won't track where the person is going but you could get alerted when someone pulls into the specific spaces covered by the tripwire rule. That could be done somewhat cheap and easy. What you are asking sounds like it would cost a lot more if the solution even exists.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Let me hazard a guess.

You own a tow truck. You contract out to businesses to tow cars when non-customers parks in their lots and you're looking for a speedier way to tow and run at different business locations. :)

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll bet you aren't far off.
either a store (parking lot) owner tired of being played, OR a tow company looking to automate the 'spotter's job.

Google "predatory towing" videos for grins.

Reaction score

Bits and pieces of what you're asking for can be accomplished, but creating a system that is good enough to integrate them together, to associate a person with a particular parked car, and to be able to distinguish where that person goes after parking, would be a challenge.

I would instead recommend something like this: install an ALPR system that records the license plates of everyone who parks in the spaces belonging to Store A. Then set up cameras for continuous recording of those parking spaces, and the entrance of Store A.

Each day, check the ALPR records and see if the people arriving in a a particular car that parked in the Store A spaces walked into Store A, or went elsewhere. If they went elsewhere, enter their license plate into an alert list (e.g. using the $49 / month version of OpenALPR). Now assuming those people did it once, they'll probably do it again.

So now wait until you get an alert. If you do, check the live feed of the cameras, and watch where the passengers go. If it's off to Store B, now you can call the tow truck.

Of course this plan will depend on many things, including the volume of traffic, the ability to position the ALPR cameras correctly, and the availability of someone to monitor the system. But at least it won't require creating or configuring an advanced AI camera system from scratch.