AI works in debug but doesn't log it.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I copied yours about an hour ago to make mine identical.

It made matter much worse. I captured one plate out of ten... which is actually good. Fixing more intermittent problems is a PITA.

Here is a video (#2) and Blue Iris highlights the plate when I pause it while playing back. (#1)

The log (#3) shows the captures plate as 11:56AM.. but this trigger at 11:50 doesn't even show?!?!

I checked my Windows logs... No errors or anything. Disk is recently defragged and running well.

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 12.04.10 PM.png
View attachment Clipboard_LPR.20240122_115006-115016.20.mp4

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 12.07.41 PM.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That example shows exactly what I said about the snow and salt-colored road can be problematic for some vehicles.

That white vehicle blends in well with the surroundings. What are brightness and contrast set to? You probably need to increase the spread between them to make it stick out more.

And I experienced just the opposite of Mike and I needed to lower the FPS.

I noticed that my LPR camera wouldn't trigger in every instance (I knew this because the overview cam triggered and the LPR camera didn't)

So I noticed while watching it live for an extended period that for my license plate camera (which as you know is zoomed in tight to the road to read plates), I watched it not trigger for a big ole yellow school bus, but then trigger for a tiny 2-door car the next minute that was driving slower and then miss the same car coming back 5 minutes later!

For this plate camera, I was obviously running a fast shutter to capture plates, but also had the FPS at 30 FPS thinking that would be better. When I knocked it down to 10 FPS, Blue Iris motion started capturing that bus and other vehicles it was missing and triggering faster.

I think the motion algorithm for a tight field of view was having difficulty with the faster FPS as there wasn't as much of a difference comparing frame to frame at 30FPS to 10FPS. A vehicle is in and out of my LPR field of view in under 0.5 seconds and I now get trigger alerts and capture every plate at 8FPS (yes I dropped it even further for longer retention of LPR images).

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That example shows exactly what I said about the snow and salt-colored road can be problematic for some vehicles.

That white vehicle blends in well with the surroundings. What are brightness and contrast set to? You probably need to increase the spread between them to make it stick out more.

And I experienced just the opposite of Mike and I needed to lower the FPS.

I noticed that my LPR camera wouldn't trigger in every instance (I knew this because the overview cam triggered and the LPR camera didn't)

So I noticed while watching it live for an extended period that for my license plate camera (which as you know is zoomed in tight to the road to read plates), I watched it not trigger for a big ole yellow school bus, but then trigger for a tiny 2-door car the next minute that was driving slower and then miss the same car coming back 5 minutes later!

For this plate camera, I was obviously running a fast shutter to capture plates, but also had the FPS at 30 FPS thinking that would be better. When I knocked it down to 10 FPS, Blue Iris motion started capturing that bus and other vehicles it was missing and triggering faster.

I think the motion algorithm for a tight field of view was having difficulty with the faster FPS as there wasn't as much of a difference comparing frame to frame at 30FPS to 10FPS. A vehicle is in and out of my LPR field of view in under 0.5 seconds and I now get trigger alerts and capture every plate at 8FPS (yes I dropped it even further for longer retention of LPR images).
I too had a triggering issue and dropped from 30 FPS to 10 and now 20.

The issue here though is that I am triggering and just not reading the plates....

I did look closer at my AI debug log in BI and it says that my round trip analysis times are 250ms going to my Linux server....

At 50ms a frame, I wonder if I am overload some buffer somewhere?

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I reset BI and the Camera and suddenly my "cancelled" alerts show up.

Interesting here that this bus image fails but the image shown clearly has some artifacts.. If I pause BI on that frame, the plate reads just fine. I don't see ANY artifacts on the playback.

Same with this SUV. Feel like I am closing in on the cause here...

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 3.43.38 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 3.34.00 PM.png

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, so I opened up the zone detection window after looking through everything else and those zones were GONE. It went back to two zones that I had a LONG time ago. I set up a Zone A which is the whole field of view. Then Zone B is a box on the left and C is on the right. I use this to determine direction...

I put them back and things are slightly improved. Things I am baffled about...

1. Why are my images in the AI debug tool not CLEAN. They are all pixelated in the debug window.
2. Why the time goes from 0 to -2050 in the AI window as well. Does it just not show all of the images that happened before the trigger except for the last one? I'd except an image every 50ms BEFORE the trigger..
3. I have no idea why my zones got lost. I am guessing maybe I changed to use substreams or not use substreams and it got rid of the zone? I was mucking with some settings.

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am having the same sort of issue. I currently have Rekor working flawlessly. I was hoping to move off their paid subscription, mostly so I can create actionable alerts and also keep more than five days of history. However, BI / CPAI seems to be missing most of time, though if i step through with debug, it can recognize plate. The camera is at 10FPS, but and it seems my trigger / analysis is off in BI. Rekor seems to analyise each frame and then keep the highest confidence frame.

It seems BI can't/won't get the timing right because of the slow ALPR. The CPAI has GPU disabled for the License Plate module.

1706117418739.png
1706122659159.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am having the same sort of issue. I currently have Rekor working flawlessly. I was hoping to move off their paid subscription, mostly so I can create actionable alerts and also keep more than five days of history. However, BI / CPAI seems to be missing most of time, though if i step through with debug, it can recognize plate. The camera is at 10FPS, but and it seems my trigger / analysis is off in BI. Rekor seems to analyise each frame and then keep the highest confidence frame.

It seems BI can't/won't get the timing right because of the slow ALPR. The CPAI has GPU disabled for the License Plate module.

View attachment 183911
View attachment 183938
Use this utility and you get more than 5 days and it all stays local.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

View attachment 183911
View attachment 183938
My understanding in the slow ALPR won't really matter-- it will just queue up the data and take longer....

What is interesting to me is that at T0 you get a hit on the BVR but on the AI history T0 was a miss for you....

Are you sending the substream to AI by change? Post your AI setting....

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have Rekor setup with a 1080p 10fps substream 2, and configured BI to use the same. I tried using the main stream and didn't see any different.

Since my stream is 10fps, I set the realtime images to 30, which I would expect would give me 3 seconds.
1706219596438.png

Initially I planned to run CPAI on the same machine, but I couldn't keep my Tesla P4 cool in my SFF PC. So I setup CPAI on my Ubuntu host with a 3080. If I get it working well, I'll go back to figuring out how to cool the Telsa card.