Aircam dropping out

Duncan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an AirCam and a UVC (using jpg snapshots) hooked up to Blue Iris.
It keeps dropping out and displaying:

No Signal
RTSP: 404 Not Found

Have tried playing with settings, but no luck so far.
Anybody have any ideas what this could be?

Thanks
Duncan

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to be a real AirCam fan back when they were on top of the price/performance game. I have been running several AirCams at home since they were new and they have been fine. However I've also seen a frightening number of them them just drop dead for no apparent reason (none of the ones I run at home, thank goodness).

What firmware version are you running? You might consider upgrading/downgrading to see if that helps. Version 1.2 is what I run these days and the cams are rock solid. Here is a site hosting a copy of it: http://ubnt.masolusi.com/download/firmware/Aircam-Airvision/

Also note version 1.1.3 also hosted there is one of the versions known to have stability issues so I recommend avoiding that one.

Duncan

n3wb
Reaction score
How often is it dropping?
Just checked, and it appears to be dropping out after 30 secs, then after 30 secs down it comes up for another 30 secs.
Watchdog timer is set at thirty secs, but disabling watchdog doesn't appear to make a difference.

Duncan

n3wb
Reaction score
Running the latest firmware - AirCam.v3.0.7

How old is the 1.2 firmware?
At this point I have decided their software is junk, and am looking to get a Blue Iris license, but need to sort stability first.
Really just after a solid stream at 30fps.

Aircams are pretty price competitive here, and one of our existing suppliers stocks them.
Just using to monitor factory equipment for fault finding etc so the swivel mount is quite convenient.

We have 4 now, plus a UVC (bugger!), so have to get these working.
Heading forward though, what are people's current cam preferences?

Duncan

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually it appears that it has been recording just fine when I'm not in the office.

So potentially it is just breaking while I'm viewing it.
It does break the recording as well.

Blue Iris is running on a server (as a service), and I am using a remote desktop connection to view it.
Only two cams and one is a UVC using jpeg snapshots, so presumably bandwidth is not an issue.

Have downgraded to v1.2 firmware to see if that helps.

Thanks for help so far folks!

Duncan

n3wb
Reaction score
Downgraded to v1.2 off the Ubiquiti site, as suggested by bp2008.
Hasn't skipped a beat yet, so looks good.

Thanks all!

Duncan

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
1.2 is a bit over a year old, I think. Unfortunately, 1.2 is not compatible with the new UVC cameras so you are stuck with jpeg snapshots from them. Though I suppose you could install the Ubiquiti software and use its re-streaming functionality to get a higher frame rate for the UVC camera, that makes the situation more complex. As you've seen, Ubiquiti cameras aren't the most friendly to use with 3rd party software. Can you not get Hikvision or Dahua cameras cheap where you live?

Also, there have been stability issues in some (AirCam) cameras when using the max frame rate and bit rate, as though it is overloading their little CPUs. You might be better off with 20-25 FPS and slightly lower bit rate. Like 3 Mbps instead of 4 Mbps. Though I never personally experienced a stability issue due to this.