ALARM.COM

Reaction score
HELLO EVERYONE,
I PICKED UP A NICE LOOKING WIRELESS CAM FOR THE NIGHT VISION (i HOPE) AND NEED HELP CONNECTING IT(SEEING IT). It's from alarm.com model adc-V721w.
Can I use CMS software or does it have to be through alarm.com, a paid service?
thanks,
michelle

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
HELLO EVERYONE,
I PICKED UP A NICE LOOKING WIRELESS CAM FOR THE NIGHT VISION (i HOPE) AND NEED HELP CONNECTING IT(SEEING IT). It's from alarm.com model adc-V721w.
Can I use CMS software or does it have to be through alarm.com, a paid service?
thanks,
michelle
Step 1, return that junk.
step 2, start reading the forum and decide on a quality camera...

SLC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Step 3 - Follow Steps 1 and 2

Don't get anything that it proprietary like alarm.com. Cameras are usually junk and after you pay the monthly fee for however long they sucker you into a contract you will realize you paid 10 times what that junk camera is worth. Not sure what your intended use is for the camera is but that would help in knowing how to better assist you.

Reaction score
Okay well thanks for the honesty on the cam. I gather that I must have a paid subscription thru alarm.com. Ouch!! Although...it doesn’t hurt too much; I only paid $8 for the camera.
And my intention, since there is power at my shed; was to position it in the eve of the shed with a little protection from weather and have a wide view of house and have nothing to run back to the pc.
Plus Arlo night vision is TERRIBLE. I gotta have something a little better for the back side of the property. Thought this cam might help a little on that since it has some leds. With all that said, looks like I have a cam for sale. Make an offer and it’s probably yours.
ALARM.com
ADC-V721W
Thanks and I will try to look it up or ask before I buy. BUT Last time I hit a great deal. Anyway...THANKS AGAIN. I really like this site!!
-Michelle

Reaction score
Spend about $120 to $170 for a quality Dahua Starlight turret-style camera, and you'll never regret it. You can buy much less expensive Chinese versions of Dahua cameras, but they have their own set of issues that a non-technical user seriously doesn't want to deal with.

Reaction score
Netcat PT ptz2084; this is probably my best cam, but I am such a newbie, it doesn't record. You guys walked me thru setting it up and I found a seller on eBay who provided a link for CMS software and YES, I can see and I can move and I can even focus...but I can't record. Can someone help me? I bought this second hand so I have no paperwork and I would love for it to alert my phone via motion.
I also have an Alexa, a Ring Doorbell, also 2nd hand with surprisingly good picture and I have ARLO (it works but...I am so disgusted with the "nightvision' and don't understand why when people continue to move, it STILL only records 10 seconds of video)
Next I will purchase a Dahau as suggested... well eventually I will.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I assume your back building shares the electrical entrance with your house? I use powerline network adapters to get net to my back building for the POE switch and cameras. Much better than wireless cams if they work in your setup. I'd prefer to run cat 5e but the PLAs were a quick solution that saved either a complicated wire run or trenching under brick and asphalt. 4 years later and I'm still happy with it, although one adapter did die after a few years. Once you get reliable wired net to your building you'll be able to run any cam you want without thinking you have to pick a wireless cam, which basically comes with a bunch of "free" unadvertised headaches.

Reaction score
@Kawboy12R Does this mean that I can plug my camera into power AND plug in the Ethernet cable to the powerline adapter? So in my configuration , the powerline adapter is listed as "wired." Thanks, I am going to purchase a powerline adapter.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
@Kawboy12R Does this mean that I can plug my camera into power AND plug in the Ethernet cable to the powerline adapter? So in my configuration , the powerline adapter is listed as "wired." Thanks, I am going to purchase a powerline adapter.
Yes and you can add up to sixteen of these on the same circuit and plug Poe switches so you can get seven cameras ie starlight ones all around your back shed off one power line adapter welcome to the world of a spanning tree
But make sure you get gigabyte ones

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. A PLA will provide network data just like a jack in the back of your router. You'll have to provide power to the cam "after" the PLA though, either via the 12v connector on the cam, a POE injector, or by plugging a POE switch into the PLA and running multiple cams from the switch. The latter is what I do in my back building.